BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Recently got the new codex... kind of underwhelmed and a bit at a loss for the new rules. Not seeing much change except for the wave serpent shooting its holofield now. Clearly that's the way to go with this new codex.

So how many serpents do people take? Does anyone put anything other than guardians and dire avengers in their serpents?

And what are recommended build outs on dire avengers? Is the exarch worth it?

min da to get the wavz at cheapest cost is useful to 'bulk' up army
    but i prefer max da with exarcg with pw&ss... mainly for the 5+ iv save... stick a lord in there for fearless and some teeth and they can be a pretty good all round unit... dont underestimate bladestorm ... the lucky 6 gives ap2 and can fry anything up to T5 relatively easily...

im prefering spinners to serpents but most ppl seem to play a mix...

a basic storm guardian squad with two gunners and a spearlock is now a reasonably pointed anti-tank unit with some anti infantry threat.. and again they can have a wavz...

tbf our group has turned the wavz shield into a 'ONE USE ONLY' ability because it is a bit too good...

hawks drop on a sixpence as long as you have 6, spiderz are awesome with the new monofilament rules [why spinners are so good aswell], avengers are better, guardians are better, gjb are now much better in offence but can still be used to steal for 51 pts instead of 66 ... bargain, walkers are awesomely better... why other vehicles cant have power fields gawd only knows... ghost walk matrices can give eldar vehicles a real edge though why the cost more points than there tau =.... again gawd only knows...

prisms are better... they have three shot options and keep the 60" range... though why they cant have a 'shield' as well is another mystery, falcons suffer because everything else has got better in comparison, and again ... no shield... !

shining spears and scorpions can be useful and are marginally better... both have outflank and spears can get hit and run...

banshees and quins, well... if your not a purist they make excellent DE whyches, which for 10pts naked and 12pts with haywire grenades, [DE allies are great ... especially VOIDBOMBERS. ! ... they make eldar flyers look vaguely pathetic... ], otherwise your close assault girlies are staying in the army case...

at 1750+ you can run mechdar with 6 0r 7 serpents, 3 hs skimmers to taste and some fa slots,

guess my cheesiest 1850 orbat is actually DE with ELDAR allies

3 voidbombers for AT, 3 venoms with double cannon and born with double cannon for AI/AM, two mini whych squads on foot or with double cannon venom, {oh yes they really do look like quins dont they}, HQ to suit ... usually cheap as chips sucky... and battle brothers: 3 TLBL serpents, two min or max DA with autarch or lord or SS, one 6 man dragon unit, ONE SPINNER for rear area support... ST7/8 TORRENT, thank you ! and or ONE unit of SPIDERZ or Spears to give some reserve ooomph... lots of goodies...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Mcturk View Post
    min da to get the wavz at cheapest cost is useful to 'bulk' up army
    but i prefer max da with exarcg with pw&ss... mainly for the 5+ iv save... stick a lord in there for fearless and some teeth and they can be a pretty good all round unit... dont underestimate bladestorm ... the lucky 6 gives ap2 and can fry anything up to T5 relatively easily...

a basic storm guardian squad with two gunners and a spearlock is now a reasonably pointed anti-tank unit with some anti infantry threat.. and again they can have a wavz...

tbf our group has turned the wavz shield into a 'ONE USE ONLY' ability because it is a bit too good...

hawks drop on a sixpence as long as you have 6, spiderz are awesome with the new monofilament rules [why spinners are so good aswell], avengers are better, guardians are better, gjb are now much better in offence but can still be used to steal for 51 pts instead of 66 ... bargain, walkers are awesomely better... why other vehicles cant have power fields gawd only knows... ghost walk matrices can give eldar vehicles a real edge though why the cost more points than there tau =.... again gawd only knows...

prisms are better... they have three shot options and keep the 60" range... though why they cant have a 'shield' as well is another mystery, falcons suffer because everything else has got better in comparison, and again ... no shield... !

shining spears and scorpions can be useful and are marginally better... both have outflank and spears can get hit and run...

banshees and quins, well... if your not a purist they make excellent DE whyches, which for 10pts naked and 12pts with haywire grenades, [DE allies are great ... especially VOIDBOMBERS. ! ... they make eldar flyers look vaguely pathetic... ], otherwise your close assault girlies are staying in the army case...

at 1750+ you can run mechdar with 6 0r 7 serpents, 3 hs skimmers to taste and some fa slots,

3 voidbombers for AT, 3 venoms with double cannon and born with double cannon for AI/AM, two mini whych squads on foot or with double cannon venom, {oh yes they really do look like quins dont they}, HQ to suit ... usually cheap as chips sucky... and battle brothers: 3 TLBL serpents, two min or max DA with autarch or lord or SS, one 6 man dragon unit, ONE SPINNER for rear area support... ST7/8 TORRENT, thank you ! and or ONE unit of SPIDERZ or Spears to give some reserve ooomph... lots of goodies...
    um... can anyone translate this to the English language used by 30 somethings?

lol do you really need that longhand. ?

>>

"min da to get the wavz at cheapest cost is useful to 'bulk' up army

DA = Dire Avengers / WAVZ = Wave Serpents min = minimum, the lowest number of figures for a legal unit, Max = MAXIMUM ... normally the optimum maximised build for a particular unit. pw&ss = power weapon and shimmershield = the best loadout for dire avenger exarch. Bladestorm is a new codex ability that makes all shuriken weapon armour penetration 2 on a roll of 6 to wound. T = toughness

Spinners = Night Spinner ... eldar barrage skimmer / serpent = Wave Serpent Transport Skimmer

a basic storm guardian squad is 10 or 11 guardians + a warlock / warlock + singing spear = spearlock. guardians may choose two 'gunners' ... i normally go for a cheap fusion 'gunner' Firedragons are 22pts ... a guardian fusion 'gunner' is only 19pts. again WAVZ = Wave Serpent Eldat Transport Skimmer

tbf = to be fair

a sixpence is an old fashioned coin prevalent up to about 1972, when they were replaced by modern decimal coinage, it was about the size of a modern half pence piece {which arent used any more either} in other words ... "in a very small space" HAWKS = Swooping Hawks... an eldar Fast Attack {FA} choice that can in groups of six land from deep strike without scattering... SPIDZ/Spidrz = Warp Spiders ... an eldar fast attack choice that can deep strike {especially if playing short edge deployment or you get the Eldar Warlord Power that allows deep strike within 6" of warlord} or are just as good reserving from the board edge in other deployments. GJB are guardian jetbikes ... now mysteriously called 'WINDRIDERS', but in any case much better than their incarnation in the previous eldar codexes {codices} ?

PRISMS/PRISMZ = Fire Prisms, an eldar heavy support choice that is less points than in the previous codex and has more flexibility as well. FALCONZ = Eldar Grav Tank called almost surprisingly 'a falcon' ... they used to be the best skimmer in the old codex although their transport capacity was still limited, they are now superseded by the much improved WAVZ...

think this one is self explanatory !

banshees = HOWLING BANSHEES an eldar elite choice that before 6th edition and the new eldar codex used to be a solid choice... but with the nerf {nerf= inexplicable and generally worrisome change for the worse} to their power weapons are now about as much use as a sick headache.... QUINS = Harlequins ... again a heavily nerfed close combat unit that should be better but for 22pts + per figure is absolute rubbish in 6th, hence the recommendation to used both QUINS & BANSHEES to proxy {use a model to represent an alternative but normally similar model} as DE {dark eldar} wyches ... these troops can perform the close combat functions that Quins and banshees used to in 5th edition for three reasons : 1: they are cheap as chips {a food product made by slicing a potatoe into segments and coking it .. normally in deep fat} they cost 12pts WITH HAYWIRE GRENADES ... absolute bargain {bargain: when something can be obtained for a much lower price than an equivalent product sold at a much higher price} 2: they can come in units of 15 + characters on foot {sic} or 3: they can come in a unit of 5 to 10 with a choice of beatstick transport BEATSTICK: a large wooden club used to hit people and cause severe damage also slang for other things !

mech dar = Mechanised Eldar Force wholly or almost wholly carried in skimmers, perhaps with some attached 'windriders' {GJB}

Venom is a Dark Eldar {DE} transport choice that can mount TWO splinter cannons {double cannon} AI = anti infantry // AM = anti-monster {ie poison} HQ = headquarters unit , at least ONE per force organisation selection as per BRB {BRB = basic rule book ... the large one full of pretty pictures and pretending to give a coherent and fast play set of rules...
    TLBL = twin linked bright lance ... imo {in my opinion} the best loadout for a WAVZ ... unless you know it is going to end up really tight with the enemy {tight = too close for comfort}... SS = abbreviation for Shining Spears ... LORD = any Pheonix Lord to your taste... dragon = firedragon = fragon= fusion gunner.

Hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by will44 View Post
    um... can anyone translate this to the English language used by 30 somethings?
    LOL I spent 5 min trying to figure out what a "Min da" was. I thought he was an ork.

sorry... too used to using abbreviations...

Chapter-Master

Also, at the end of a sentence, you normally use a period/full stop, not an ellipsis. It makes it really frikin' annoying to read. Like the stereotypical teenage girl who types stuff like OMGFWTFBBYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !! It's alright to use every once and a while, but there's a reason why longform writing uses periods and capitalization and paragraphs.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

really
    tell it to the egyptians
    but seriously
    its just cultural
    and punctuation was invented by 16th century academics
    sorry to offend
    though
    mb

Chapter-Master

Just saying, if you post something and people who speak and read the same language as you ask for a translation, you could probably stand to put a little more effort in to being coherent.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chaplain

I know its an old thread but back to the point. D Mc is right, there is a lot of new stuff in the new codex that improves the Eldar offensive capacity. It took me a while to get over some of the other stuff, like introducing Eldar weapons that kill Eldar more than anyone else. Or bumping up the points cost on things to send them beyond the reach of the average 1500 point game. With holo fields and shield strike for serpents, using the shields defensively is a bit redundant. Especially as 3 glancing hits will wreck you anyway. Blade storm means I am finally considering DA for games. And having worked out the intricacies of Warlock powers I am more on board with them now. I think Falcons are being overlooked for other vehicles and they should not be. Again holo fields, a scatter laser & shuriken cannon presents a lot of fire power from S6 to 8 (Pulse laser) and AP 2 to 5, blade storm still applies to a cannon and laser lock is like twin linked. + 6 man transport, hellooooo! Scorpions. I have been trialing Vyper Serpent combo's, both threatening multiple target dilemma and holo goodness.

It is interesting to see how Banshee Masks are more useful than Mandi Blasters now, I mean what is S3 AP- going to do to anyone? Killing 5 points on your target's initiative however means every one, like storm guardians hit first. But Banshee Masks remain cheaper.
    Last edited by Da Gargoyle; 03-23-2014 at 03:44 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast