BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default High Elves Missile Units. How many can shoot?

I'm a little confused with High Elves and their special rules, mainly concerning Missile Troops.

How many in a unit of Archers/Sea Guard can shoot? A unit of 10 (5x2)? A unit of 15 (5x3)? A unit of 20 (5x4)?

Should I go with wider facing units? How best to utilize them?

Thanks.

Both Bow and Longbow have the Volley Fire special rule.
    So usually a unit can shoot with the first and second ranks + half of the rest.
    In addition High Elves have martial prowess, which let lets them shoot with three ranks in lieu of two.
    So a unit of Archers / Sea Guard can shoot with the front three ranks + half of the rest.
    Which mean : 10 (10+0) for 10 (5x2), 15 (15+0) for 15 (5x3), 18 (15+5/2=>15+2.5=>15+3) for 20 (5x4)

If you really wanna maximise the shot for a unit which is more than 15 models of High Elves, you may go with wider facing units.
    But you may also think about the rank bonus and mobility of the unit before doing so.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by okeyigiveup View Post
    In addition High Elves have martial prowess, which let lets them shoot with three ranks in lieu of two.
    So a unit of Archers / Sea Guard can shoot with the front three ranks + half of the rest.
    Which mean : 10 (10+0) for 10 (5x2), 15 (15+0) for 15 (5x3), 18 (15+5/2=>15+2.5=>15+3) for 20 (5x4)

If you really wanna maximise the shot for a unit which is more than 15 models of High Elves, you may go with wider facing units.
    But you may also think about the rank bonus and mobility of the unit before doing so.
    Thank you very much.

I'm trying to plan out my High Elves. Wanted to know how best to field my Lothern Sea Guard. I'll probably go with 2 units of 15 (5x3). They aren't my main Anvil units, but I wanted to use them since I have them (from the Isle of Blood set). My main anvil unit is my Phoenix Guard block of 20. I love these guys.

Quote Originally Posted by okeyigiveup View Post

It's important to remember that the "half of the rest" is calculated by each rank individually, you don't add the remaining ranks together and take half of that. So in ranks of 5, you'd get 3 shots each rank (so if you had 5 ranks of 5 archers, you'd get 21 shots instead of 20).