BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Fly Lord

Default GW on why customers buy Miniatures

via Father Gabe (faeit)

At the recent HSC in North America (collaborating info I had from my UK source) is that GW feels (whether rightly or not...Im thinking not) that the whole reason we purchase miniatures is not because of what they can do in a game (rules wise) but we do so because of how they look. That surprised some of us. Combined that with the same reason the Codex/Army book comes out later, that might indicate a disconnect between corporate and its customer base. We have decided to dig on this issue, conduct surveys across the US GW/Independent stores to get an actual consensus. What we will do with that info? No idea yet. The concern is, does GW really feel that way, is it accurate or is it more of a "training" issue towards managers and such.

If it is a training issue, its designed to ensure that employees sell the models based more on the aesthetics then the benefits to the customer. Which is not good in training, where it was concerned that you do both, especially explaining how "Awesome miniature (X) can do all this stuff and it makes a great center piece..." for example.

Father Gabe
    Last edited by Bigred; 02-21-2014 at 09:30 AM.
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Ive been playing warhammer fantasy/40k for 25 years now, and i can honestly say that all my army purchases are based on what the figures look like. i dont mind if i lose games because 'in game' they are not very good, as long as i have a good time playing it. i have also been known not to put in a good unit because i dont like the figure. i find the painting side of the hobby more enjoyable than the playing, and this might explain my personal decisions. if others feel the same way GW might well be right

From my sources I have heard this to indeed be the case that they consider themselves to be a model company first and that we as customers treat them like Pokemon (Gotta catch em all). The rules are just secondary and they have little concern about balance, fair play etc.

Occuli Imperator

Of course, I would rather see model first rules second. Rather than rules first, models, well there are some that we are still awaiting for.

Thinking corporately, by developing the model first and realsing it before rules it means that you can do several interesting things.
    Firstly, you can realse things as and when you feel like, giving you quicker/faster smaller releases. So instead of new codex with a big model dump, you get drips of new models then the new rules.

Secondly, it is a more conservative approach, rather than releasing art work for the model and rules for it then taking time to realse the models. This creates a window of opportunity for other model firms to come to market first with a model with your name, which basically blocks you from releasing it.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

i agree whole heartedly! i do not give one iota of crap about the rules of the model, or what it does. i buy and field units based on how they look, and if they fit the theme of my army.

Scout

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Mcbride View Post
    Ive been playing warhammer fantasy/40k for 25 years now, and i can honestly say that all my army purchases are based on what the figures look like. i dont mind if i lose games because 'in game' they are not very good, as long as i have a good time playing it. i have also been known not to put in a good unit because i dont like the figure. i find the painting side of the hobby more enjoyable than the playing, and this might explain my personal decisions. if others feel the same way GW might well be right
    I agree 100% here

Quote Originally Posted by tyrela View Post
    From my sources I have heard this to indeed be the case that they consider themselves to be a model company first and that we as customers treat them like Pokemon (Gotta catch em all). The rules are just secondary and they have little concern about balance, fair play etc.
    This is true. What was Citadel? They made Minis is I am not mistaken. They are a mini company that makes rules. They are in the business of selling minis. The fact that they want 100% control over everything is why they also make rules. They can direct people to buy specific miniatures with the rules as needed. Need to push more Big models put out a supplement that allows anyone to field them. The rules are secondary.

They appear to have my number... Been collecting the miniatures since the late 80's. Ive painted more terminators than Ive played games... Stompy looking comes WAY before gaming ubarity for me.

I should probably also mention that although they "get" my motivation for buying, they have completely over estimated my level of motivation to buy. Modern prices I look at the figure and say "its not pretty enough to cost that".
    Last edited by DavidTQ; 02-21-2014 at 10:03 AM.

Personally speaking...it's a good combination of the rules and how the miniatures look, and I've been playing 40K since 1987! Revell/Monogram, that's a model company...GW is a gaming company...Games Workshop not Model Workshop!

Why is this a bad thing?
    This is nothing that they have not said time and again - they are a models company. The rules are written to fit the models, not the other way round.
    There is no deception here and I think it's a little unfair to demonize their business practice as every company is trying to "catch them all". Especially one that is publicly listed.
    The issues of balance and fair play have always been present but have only come to the fore in recent years as tournaments have become more popular.
    These *are* valid concerns for pure tournament play - no argument there. But they have also always said that theirs are not tournament games.
    I do understand the frustration about balance, but if players are choosing to play it in ways that it's not designed for, then it's hardly GWs fault.
    To use a simple analogy, I have a car that is fun to drive but that it not designed for racing. I can choose to race it, but it will likely be beaten by faster cars. If this does happen, I don't think I can really complain to the manufacturer that the car is not fast enough.

I have 3000pts of Astral Claws, that started with me buying Lugft Huron because I liked the mini. Most minis I buy I buy because of the way they look. Seen plenty of surveys like this on various forums and the majority buy based on looks.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast