BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default A Knightly Obsession

Confession: I hated the idea of Warhammer 40,000. In game stores all across the country, I looked at the models, books and propaganda, and absolutely refused to get involved in a game that required so many models. So it was until one fateful summer day in August 1994. I was traveling for work and happened into a game store in Toledo, Ohio...little place on the second floor. The owner had several of Armorcast's titans built and standing on the counter right where his register was. It was like finding the Holy Grail...My friends and I had been playing Battletech for several years...big stompy robots wreaking whole sale havoc was my primary gaming interest...period!

Needless to say, I bought a Warhound right then and there...took it home, ecstatic to introduce my buddies to our new game...titan battles...still no interest in 40k...just wanted everyone to buy titans so we could play Battletech with bigger stompy robots. My idea was extremely well received initially...everyone was gonna get a titan ASAP. The next guy who could afford a titan...headed to the lgs with a pocket full of money...intent on an Eldar titan or another warhound...and came home with a 1500 point chaos army...all troops!!! I was devastated...still very resistant to the idea of playing 40k...not gonna do it. Just gonna hold out till someone else got a titan. We tried playing his Chaos army against my Warhound...not good...titan rules were brutal and he couldn't hurt it.

In any case, I looked into Titan Legion and epic and decided that for big stompy robot battles I would stick with Battletech...and grudgingly bought into 40k...Space Wolves and Imperial Guard. For a very long time I badgered my buddies about buying titans...never convinced any of them to spend that kind of money...So I have waited...bought a couple of Forge World Warhounds...but waited all the same...for an affordable...plastic titan kit to be produced...

Imagine my excitement a couple of weeks ago...when the first pics of the actual Imperial Knight kit surfaced...This is the army I have waited 20+ years for...I am elated that they can be played as an army by themselves...completely impressed with kit...and more excited than I have ever been about Warhammer 40k.

I hope many of you truly share my excitement.

no ... sorry...

been down the battletech route... what a dull game... we turned it into speed mech ! [pre-dating the hull point concept by some 25years] ... much more fun ... and at £100 for an almost infinite number of permutations of 75mm plastic robots, dont see any need to up the scale !... i mean what do you play on/in... an empty swimming pool? a tennis court ?

you must be addicted to giant plastic crack ! 40k is out of scale by some order of magnitude as it is !

BUT .... i bet they look freakin awesome

Chapter-Master

I am super excited. I join you, brother knight, in your enthusiasm!
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Chapter-Master

Glad you can do the army you've wanted too! that must feel great, I think some people dont understand that there arent any playable factions we like, so yes I am genuinely happy for you! I'm still waiting for GW to produce the army I really want to play hopefully oneday!
    Last edited by Asymmetrical Xeno; 02-24-2014 at 12:40 PM.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Asymmetrical Xeno View Post
    Glad you can do the army you've wanted too! that must feel great, I think some people dont understand that there arent any playable factions we like, so yes I am genuinely happy for you! I'm still waiting for GW to produce the army I really want to play hopefully oneday!

What army? Perhaps we can harass them into it...

Brother-Sergeant

Glad to see anyone excited about the hobby. I love 40k and have 7-8k worth of Imperials... I ordered three Knights.

Veteran-Sergeant

Excellent...bit jealous...will have to get mine one at a time I think. Grats to you.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ivarr View Post
    What army? Perhaps we can harass them into it...
    Non-humanoid aliens that float as opposed to walk. I strongly dislike the look of legged aliens.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Asymmetrical Xeno View Post
    Non-humanoid aliens that float as opposed to walk. I strongly dislike the look of legged aliens.
    Something like the screamers of Tzeentch?? or do you have something else in mind??

Chapter-Master

Nah, find them rather boring and they seem more animalistic than something intelligent and self-aware. Think Lovecraft's flying polyps or Dr Who's Daleks are the closest.