BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

why wouldn't I just want either an assault cannon for anti-infantry or a typhoon launcher for range?
    Because against anything except MEQS, three Land Speeders with dual heavy bolters is a far superior anti-infanty choice. Consider: 6 shots per turn with a 48" threat bubble (12" of movement + 36" for the bolter). You'll be wounding on between 2+ and 3+ with no saves apart from cover saves. In every respect, a dual Heavy Bolter is the superior of the Assault Cannon against non-MEQs. Yeah, against MEQ or TEQ, go with the Assault Cannon every time. But against light infantry, dual Heavy Bolter takes the win.

Now, there will still be people going 'Meh. There's plenty of anti-infantry that's more damaging'. To them, I say:

THAT'S WHY THESE ARE DEADLY. That attitude right there.

Because dual Heavy Bolter Land Speeders just scream 'Meh', everyone underestimates them, especially with all the other madness on the table. If you play your cards right, make a big show of how 'Oh, I know they're no good, I just play them because <insert lie here>', then while they're dealing with the THSS, suddenly they have 18 shots of death that utterly shred whatever light infantry the enemy are holding objectives with; remember, that 12" movement can get you around the back of cover much quicker than you think... especially if you 'made the mistake' of moving your Speeders out into the 'middle of nowhere' for a turn.

Not to mention: compare the points cost between Assault Cannon/Missiles vs Dual Heavy Bolter. Three dual HB LS's is the equal of a single Dreadnought with an Assault Cannon! That means if they die, who cares? They offer cheap and cheerful firepower, which is something often lacking in the SM army.

TL;DR: the dual Heavy Bolter Land Speeder is an underestimated death machine when taken in squadrons of three. Play them as cheap and disposable light infantry harrassers, and they'll easily win their points back. Use them for enfilade attacks; the enemy will never see it coming, because in this day and age, who uses Land Speeders with Heavy Bolters?
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by YorkNecromancer View Post
    Because against anything except MEQS, three Land Speeders with dual heavy bolters is a far superior anti-infanty choice. Consider: 6 shots per turn with a 48" threat bubble (12" of movement + 36" for the bolter). You'll be wounding on between 2+ and 3+ with no saves apart from cover saves. In every respect, a dual Heavy Bolter is the superior of the Assault Cannon against non-MEQs. Yeah, against MEQ or TEQ, go with the Assault Cannon every time. But against light infantry, dual Heavy Bolter takes the win.

Now, there will still be people going 'Meh. There's plenty of anti-infantry that's more damaging'. To them, I say:

THAT'S WHY THESE ARE DEADLY. That attitude right there.

Because dual Heavy Bolter Land Speeders just scream 'Meh', everyone underestimates them, especially with all the other madness on the table. If you play your cards right, make a big show of how 'Oh, I know they're no good, I just play them because <insert lie here>', then while they're dealing with the THSS, suddenly they have 18 shots of death that utterly shred whatever light infantry the enemy are holding objectives with; remember, that 12" movement can get you around the back of cover much quicker than you think... especially if you 'made the mistake' of moving your Speeders out into the 'middle of nowhere' for a turn.

Not to mention: compare the points cost between Assault Cannon/Missiles vs Dual Heavy Bolter. Three dual HB LS's is the equal of a single Dreadnought with an Assault Cannon! That means if they die, who cares? They offer cheap and cheerful firepower, which is something often lacking in the SM army.

TL;DR: the dual Heavy Bolter Land Speeder is an underestimated death machine when taken in squadrons of three. Play them as cheap and disposable light infantry harrassers, and they'll easily win their points back. Use them for enfilade attacks; the enemy will never see it coming, because in this day and age, who uses Land Speeders with Heavy Bolters?
    Mental note - do the conversion so I can field my land speeders with dual heavy bolters. I stand corrected.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPaladin View Post
    Mental note - do the conversion so I can field my land speeders with dual heavy bolters. I stand corrected.
    Mental note to self: must buy some landspeeders for my Marine army now
    "I was there the day Horus slew the Emperor".....
    my blog http://madlapsedwargamer.blogspot.co.uk/

I love taking 3 2xHB landspeeders not only are they often ignored until the first time they shoot but they also have a great record for me vs. Daemons, Nids.

It's a great way of piling high volume shots into your list, I also play IG and love the LR Punisher but its AP is - not AP4.

With BA you can have a Libby cast prescience on these things too 18 Str5 AP4 Twin linked kicks the *** off any Hurricane bolter.

The 2x Multi melta landspeeders for me are deepstriking kamikaze, taken in units of 2 normally for x4 MM is guaranteed to take something down, I often use locator beacons to make this as accurate as possible so 18" from your drop pod you can melta anything you like and much more point efficient than sternguard.

The MM guys will not be ignored however drop two MM in someones face and they will notice.

It's always been a preference for me to take MM landspeeders over attack bikes, they are way more mobile, can DS and can't be shot by poison, las guns etc. One turn using heavy weapons on the landspeeders is less shots for the stormraven to take, with the bonus of having opened our enemy's tin cans
    http://bloodshadowsm41.blogspot.co.uk

Chaplain

If I'm reading this right, the preference for the Dual HB is because you get a Hi Speed skimmer with 6 x S5 AP4 shots for 60 points. And apparently the nutters out there are ignoring them. Even in squadrons of 3? It's a relief they are not twin linked.

Not me, with 10 armour & 2HP, they are likely to be my first target for First Kill victory points. Either my Falcon, SL, SH and PL or a Serpent can pump out enough S6 or better shots to glance the whole squadron to death first turn. Unless they outflank of course. That is what I would think is the best use, they are not a target 1st turn, they turn up and blast away at the poor bloody infantry.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Da Gargoyle View Post
    ...Unless they outflank of course...
    Well, they can't outflank, but they can Deep Strike, and with the ability to move 6'' and still fire all weapons and 36'' of range, they can also come in from my table edge and probably still reach their target. So, reserving them is still a good option.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPaladin View Post
    and with the ability to move 6'' and still fire all weapons and 36'' of range, they can also come in from my table edge and probably still reach their target. So, reserving them is still a good option.
    Landspeeders are fast skimmers so they can move 12" and fire 2 weapons or arrive by DS and fire two at BS4.

I will never claim that this is a durable unit, but I normally roll with a Landraider or Storm Raven or IG Medusas....these guys can pop in and around, they're designed to be a nuisance....but lets not underestimate the jink save they get too!

Math hammer suggests you'd need 6 Str6 hits on average to down one Landspeeder so 18 Str6 hits to take out the squadron. And that's hits...not shots.

If one fast attack choice can draw that fire power it's done it's job. I'd really like to mess about with three squadrons of 3 Landspeeders supporting an Inquisitorial detachment in chimeras all with dual heavy bolters and heavy bolter servitors shooting out the hatch lol....

It's not the best weapon in 40k, not the most surviveable platforms either....but they can be very useful and are massively underrated
    http://bloodshadowsm41.blogspot.co.uk

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Richardson View Post

Edit:

looking closely at the pictures though, I only see an underslung Assault Cannon on any of the models shown.
    Because only a mentally damaged person would put a heavy flamer on something that fragile.
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

Brother-Captain

As an easy option for a dual heavy bolter option for my LS squadron I used the twin linked heavy bolter that comes on the Ravenwing accessories sprue that you can get from GW Mail Order. I have the co-pilot/gunner magnetised on all my speeders, and have one with this weapon and just use it as two seperate heavy bolters rather than a single twin linked one.
    Either there is life in the universe more intelligent than us, or we are the most intelligent form of life in the universe. Either way, it's a worrying thought!

Points as well. AC is 30, Typhoon is 25 while the HB is only 10. While I agree with you on the better weapons than the HB, there may just come a time when you're trying to squeeze points for something else and there it is. Most of mine are MM with either AC or Typhoons. Some are twin HF and Twin MM. I have 15 Land Speeders total in my Ravenwing company anyways, so I can spare the lone twin HB. Though after reading York's and Blood's remarks I think I might be magnetizing more.
    Last edited by Storm96; 03-02-2014 at 10:16 PM. Reason: addition

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12