BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Necrons vs imperial knights?

Ok as my brother has started doing Necrons how would Necron warriors fair against a Imperial Knights army?

Because the way I am looking at it them necron weapons will just destroy them rolling on 6s

Yes they would Xaric.

Superheavies are equally affected by Gauss weaponry as any other vehicle! They get their invun... But in general they will struggle against Necrons that get too close.
    [I][I] =][= "Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse” =][=

First-Captain

on the other hand, their infamous S7 Tesla Annihilators are pretty bad against AV13, and Scarabs are completely ineffective, so some of their other really strong tools won't cause Knights a lot of headache
    even their DLords with Warscythes, who are usually the bane of most anything with an AV, will probably get Knighted Reaper Style (i.e. eat the big D to the face) before they can strike... by the way, do the Wraith Whip Coil thingies work on something this big? Logic says no, but how about the rules?
    The bigger they are, the bigger the mess they make when they step on you. - Ahzek Ahriman, on Titans

Tesla Annihilators are dandy against AV13, as I only need a bunch of sixes to make both your legs fall off....
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Tesla Annihilators are dandy against AV13, as I only need a bunch of sixes to make both your legs fall off....
    well, a hit from one is exactly as good as one from a humble Gauss Flayer... one Annihilator won't net you a whole glance a turn statistically, while a squad of ten warriors will do one even at "long" (24") range... so I'll stand by my statement, Annihilators are not what Knights will be worried about, although the "epic bunch of sixes" syndrome that is prevalent in all Tesla weaponry can definitely do some serious damage to one, if you happen to be extremely lucky...
    The bigger they are, the bigger the mess they make when they step on you. - Ahzek Ahriman, on Titans

Iron Father

Quote Originally Posted by Xaric View Post
    Ok as my brother has started doing Necrons how would Necron warriors fair against a Imperial Knights army?

Because the way I am looking at it them necron weapons will just destroy them rolling on 6s
    I think when we get the full codex the Imperial Knights may have a few more tricks. Necrons are still good, but ignore Mystery's hyperbole. Knights have 12 inch movement, some very handy long range weapons, stomp attacks and if all else fails a strength d cc weapon. The fact your scoring too and the usual Necron tricks like scarabs won't do **** against you are all good things. A pure Knight army may lack a few tools but Allie in some imperial buddies and you will do fine.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

You best bet is a pair of Storm Crypteks (Haywire) and 10 Warriors delivered within 12" via Night Scythe. They should 1-shot a Knight without problems. 2 units attacking from opposite sides will get around the shield.

24" Fly-in + 6" Deployment + 12" range = 42" Threat

The basics for a list to kill 1 or 2 Knights and the obligatory Deathstar (ignoring 2++ saves) in 1 turn would look like:

================

Necron Overlord, Warlord
    Royal Court
    • Harbinger of the Storm
    • Harbinger of the Storm
    • Harbinger of Despair
    • Harbinger of Despair

Necron Overlord, Warlord
    Royal Court
    • Harbinger of the Storm
    • Harbinger of the Storm
    • Harbinger of Despair
    • Harbinger of Despair

5x Deathmarks, Night Scythe (Join with 2x Harbingers of Despair)
    5x Deathmarks, Night Scythe (Join with 2x Harbingers of Despair)

10x Warriors, Night Scythe (Join with 2x Harbingers of the Storm)
    10x Warriors, Night Scythe (Join with 2x Harbingers of the Storm)

Anything else you add to the list should wear AV13 to reduce Alpha Strike:

Ghost Arks
    Triarch Stalkers
    Annihilation Barges

Add a unit of Scarabs as a speed-bump (throw-away unit) to give the opponent something to shoot and worry about on turn 1. Clean up when the flyers come in.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Maelstorm; 03-03-2014 at 10:48 AM.
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ T. Pratchett

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Maelstorm View Post
    (list)
    two problems:

a) relies very much on reserve rolls going your way, although a Comms Relay can help with that somewhat
    b) even if you get what you need when you need it - do you really think I would let you deposit two rather large units within 12" of one Knight, and on opposite sides to boot? It's not like I didn't know your plan the moment I saw your list, so I'll just keep my Knight(s) back and have my infantry stand somewhere smart so you can't just stroll up to me...

don't get me wrong - it's still a good plan, I just don't think it's as surefire a way to get rid of Knights as you make it sound...

Chaplain

And don't forget the Ion Shield. In general that'll make half the glancing hit chances just go away. Makes them more survivable than most vehicles against the Gauss effect.

Brother-Sergeant
    Germany, Baden Württemberg, Reutlingen/Tübingen

Can mindshackle scarabs affect walkers?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast