BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: Would you have a problem facing a Grot Guard Army with allied Nob Bikers? See below

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 18.06%
  • No

59 81.94%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by desert_hack View Post
    That's bs. What about Chaos able to ally with Black Legion. Or Eldar able to ally with Iyanden. In each of those cases the primary detachment is practically indistinguishable from the primary.

You should be allowed to use your awesome toys. And they are totally awesome btw. Good work!
    I don't think this applies - especially Black Legion - that is units from the host codex. The problem is that the Primary is entirely proxies/counts-as and the secondary is the actual codex. So me as an opponent look across and see a sea of green - but some aren't greenskins, they are humans. Not the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Proiteus View Post
    All the lasguns have been converted to Autoguns and Sub-machine guns and the grenade launchers are represented by the small rokkit launchas on the right, the autocannon and lascannon should be obvious. Although the reference sheet was rarely required with the last version I'll be making one just in case.

The fact you need a reference sheet 'just in case' is telling. Now you mention it I can tell auto/lascannon. But I can't tell that the squad is a veteran from an infantry from a conscript from a penal legion. And that is the problem.
    I really like this army. But having played the poor fella with Raven Wg, made to get a SM codex just because the units were painted white scars - he was forced to proxy a speeder as a LR FFS - you will be fighting an uphill struggle. I know, why not have an amry using these models - as orks. No allies no fannying around, orks. Solves all your problems of whether or not you get an army done in time.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

What makes me laugh is that they suggested I instead use them as Rough Rider with the Warboss being the special character, so I can't use them as the proper unit because it will be confusing but Rough Riders is okay?
    A LOG OF LOYAL SORCERERS & REBEL GRETCHIN!

Chapter-Master

Yeah that is a bit strange. I think it is the 1 model range, 2 codexes they are having the issue with.

Again, why not Codex Orks?
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

GW have deliberately moved away from the old GT style tournament by encouraging people to bring beautiful armies (and awarding points) but have a problem with this?

If they can't get their head around it, simple daily tasks must be very confusing for them.

I feel the need to qualify my vote. I'd have no problem playing a game vs your army at a game store or gaming club, as part of a narrative event, in my garage, or even at a one day RTT event. In a 2-3 day, 5-8 game GT environment though, I'd not enjoy it, especially if it was later in a long day. While I certainly laud you for your hobby chops, in certain environments armies need to be less works of art and more clear game pieces.

To be fair, with the way GW's coordinating the assault on their system, those environments may not exist 2-3 years from now.

Initiate

What makes me laugh is that they suggested I instead use them as Rough Rider with the Warboss being the special character, so I can't use them as the proper unit because it will be confusing but Rough Riders is okay?
    The argument is that as your army is a proxy, the obvious thing that the cyborks would fill on the organisation chart is the role of rough riders.

The sea of green as two different things is confusing as I see it.

Using the court of public opinion to sway organisers that you are right and they are wrong rarely ends well. You asked for their ruling, they gave it, and gave you reasons and an option to still use your hard work which is more than fair.
    I would suggest you start on the Baneblade now rather than waiting the twenty days.

Let me preface this by saying that I wouldn't have a problem with it, but for a TO I can see why they have ruled the way they have.

They would probably have the same issue if someone showed up with Codex Space Marines using one chapter as primary, another as allies and had them all painted the same and honestly, they don't really look that different from the theme coming from the whole of your army.

I respect your situation, but I have to agree with the TO. There needs to be A) Some sort of formula that they stick to for ruling; B) Clarity; and C)Distinction. If the formula they choose to include is models from Army A and Battle Bros B can't both be from Codex C, so be it. Just take a step back and look at the situation from a standpoint of someone who hasn't lovingly been following your blood sweat and tears going into these conversions. You're using orc models to represent two different codices in a single army? I think it is definitely unfortunate that you can't use these incredibly thematic models in exactly the way you would like to, but there is a shadow of a doubt of someone having difficulties in game because of a controllable aspect from outside of the game. Would you want to be the guy that loses (or goes on tilt) because you couldn't keep 100% track of what was going on in a game that has defined pieces? Again, this isn't to launch into the models as is v counts as argument, I think you are being given a lot of leeway to do what you want as far as running them as IG, but to press the issue with more levels of complication is a bit greedy.

TL;DR

I love your conversion work, but I think there are too many moving parts in what you are trying to do to make it an army.
    Last edited by Kevin Finch; 03-04-2014 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Noticed the Wall of Text.

I respect their decision
    Can't agree with you there

Honestly that's pretty harsh, reminds me of why I avoid officially sanctioned events with their overly restrictive warriors code! I love the models, absolutely stunning.

No one should have a problem with this. We play this game, and not other games, because GW has the best models with the most potential for cool conversions like this. I enjoy playing because I get to sit across the table from awesome armies like this, and appreciate the time and effort my opponent put into it.

If someone prefaced the game by saying "I am playing a proxied IG army, with a warboss and nob bikers as allies" I would not be confused at all about what anything represented. I'm not retarded. I'm not going to forget halfway through and think "What are those things on bike bases that were Nob Bikers a minute ago? Are they necron immortals now? What is that big mech thing? Is that a unit of kroot?"
    Give a man fire, and you keep him warm for a night.
    Set a man on fire, and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast