I think a lot of issues people seem to be putting forward here revolve around two issues 1) problems with rules/publications and 2) finding common ground to choose battle types/units/games

most of these problems can be relieved by the presence of one competant store organizer (not even neccesarily a manager) someone who has weathered at least one edition change and isnt so worried about their own playing/modeling blog that they spend time making sure games go well and people are paired up properly. Also problem two is also well alleviated by stores that have real specific events by day. My local has specific days for Combat Patrol and Apoc, 40k day is whatever happens (aside from massive games that gum up tables for hours)

first half of the post i stand by fully this next half is going to be a little more out there...

From doing sound/touring/playing shows all the time, I can tell you, there are many people who invest far more hundreds of dollars In guitars and amps convinced they will play "good shows" and "get momentum" to "do something cool"
the truth of the matter is that most bands GO NOWHERE but none of these people ever ***** and moan (there are of course exceptions who will share with me some offhand remark about how empty the room is on a Saturday night, or even compared to the band that played before them)
If you think there is anything at all, i mean anything at all unique to the way 40k players approach the same dilemna with their own personal record of wins/losses yr dead wrong.

its a true game... not some victory story driven game with multiple favorable outcomes all conveniently on your XBOX Playstation or N64.

Also need I remind you that little war is good and all but what it represents, Big War, is a nasty horrific affair. Im in the middle of re-watching KB's Civil War and my god, is that **** crazy. Hornets Nest at Shiloh... Bjeesus whats so FUN about this anyways