BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Devastator Squad Layout?

So using the parts from the kit plus one missile launcher how would you do a five man devastator squad for space marines that would be viable?
    Last edited by Xaric; 03-04-2014 at 05:38 PM.

Chapter-Master

I've never actually bought a devastator kit, so I have no idea how to work around the limitation you describe... that said, I have used 2 lascannon/2 missile launcher squads to some effect. I think that 4 plasma cannons would be pretty awesome, too.

Honestly, the thing is that devastators are really flexible. With heavy bolters they shred infantry, with lascannons they pop heavy armor... the real question is, what's in the rest of your army?
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

woops forgot to add that ok the kit comes with from the site a missile launcher (plus one because i have 1 spare), a multi-melta, two heavy bolters, two lascannons and two plasma cannons.

At the moment i need more anti tank weapons

At the moment i am thinking 2 missile launchers and 2 plasma cannons = 4 blast templates and there all a good range now transport i was thinking about taking a razorback but i hear they get blown up on turn one so its a rhino or drop pod what should i pick?

Chapter-Master

I don't tend to bother to put my devs in transports, unless what I'm really looking for is an excuse to put another pair of lascannon or heavy bolter on the table. Devs can't shoot if they move, and if they can't shoot, what's the point? Devs are for camping in terrain and taking shots at anything that dares to show its head.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Chaplain

What Chapter Tactics are you using? Salamanders? Ultramarines? Imperial Fists?

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Xaric View Post
    woops forgot to add that ok the kit comes with from the site a missile launcher (plus one because i have 1 spare), a multi-melta, two heavy bolters, two lascannons and two plasma cannons.

At the moment i need more anti tank weapons

At the moment i am thinking 2 missile launchers and 2 plasma cannons = 4 blast templates and there all a good range now transport i was thinking about taking a razorback but i hear they get blown up on turn one so its a rhino or drop pod what should i pick?
    If what you need is anti-tank then go with Missile Launchers and Lascannons. Plasma Cannons aren't that great against anything but light armor and can't fire at all if they move, not to mention the Gets Hot thing.

Usually you won't want a transport for Devastators unless you're just going for a theme thing. You'll want to place them in cover and shoot the rest of the game. They should have enough range to always have targets unless their LoS is blocked by something. If you really want a transport and have the points take a Razorback. You place the Devs and just use the Razorback's guns as extra firepower.

I've had great luck using my Devs with Ultramarine tactics. Having one turn of Relentless can make all the difference sometimes. Although mine are equipped with four Heavy Bolters as they're Deathwatch.

I like to run it with missile launchers and Lascannons. Typically 3 ML's and 1 LC, but it can vary. I really don't like the idea of running heavy bolters as anti-infantry because I just don't think they are worth the points.

Librarian

4 plasma are killer 4 heavy bolter is alot of shots its cheap and unit footprint is easily maintained. the other thing to factor in about 4 heavy bolters is depending on the number of bodies you bring you get x number of boltgun shots thus the entire unit shoots and not just 4 weapons... now for anti tank las and ml all the way though i have had some good experience with agressive deployment of mm devs if you play them agressivly and use them to prevent armour from taking the midfield.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by rich_clean_jammies View Post
    I like to run it with missile launchers and Lascannons. Typically 3 ML's and 1 LC, but it can vary. I really don't like the idea of running heavy bolters as anti-infantry because I just don't think they are worth the points.
    The fun thing with an all HB squad besides them being one of the cheapest is that a Heavy Bolter being Snap Shot is about as effective as a Bolter being fired normally. Which means if the mission requires the squad to move you don't feel like you're wasting too much by not standing still. And the look on a Tau players face when a Dev squad suddenly becomes Relentless, shoots the crap out of a Fire Warrior unit, then charges them is priceless. Death to Xenos!

Veteran-Sergeant

@Xaric

It helps to know what chapter you're representing.

Imperial Fists have great benefits with their Bolter Drill combined with their Siege Masters chapter tactics.

Ultramarines can pop their Devastator Doctrine

Let us know, it will help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast