BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default White Dwarf Nostalgia: The Old Legion Of the Damned army List

Hey all,

Just been watching the reviews on the recently released legion of the damned codex, I have to admit it seemed pretty darn heart breaking. I have always loved the Legions fluff as well as their whole skull and fire and brimstone look. The Imperium’s answer to the A-Team!

After the disappointment I decide to rummage through my old white dwarf magazines, I was able to find the article which started the love for the Legion…I have taken pictures.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0367.jpg 
Views:	630 
Size:	226.6 KB 
ID:	7677

Name:	IMAG0368.jpg 
Views:	505 
Size:	183.2 KB 
ID:	7678

Name:	IMAG0366.jpg 
Views:	852 
Size:	243.3 KB 
ID:	7679Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0362.jpg 
Views:	528 
Size:	279.7 KB 
ID:	7680

Name:	IMAG0363.jpg 
Views:	418 
Size:	205.9 KB 
ID:	7681Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0364.jpg 
Views:	433 
Size:	232.2 KB 
ID:	7682Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0365.jpg 
Views:	599 
Size:	237.4 KB 
ID:	7683

This is white dwarf issue 224, if memory serves me correctly that was during the year 1998... This army list was written by Jervis Johnson.

Unlike the new codex released this army has a tone load of stuff you can take...for example, Chaplain, Librarian, Techmarine, Assault Squad, Bike Squadron, Attack Bike, Rhino, Landspeeder and yes a DREADNOUGHT TOO! Compared to the latest codex of just a squad of legion marines... Jervis Johnson stated that a dreadnought was added to the list because...IT LOOKS AWESOME! Should that not be part of the reason of creating such armies as this?

By the way...there's a special character too, Sergeant Centurius (obviously) not sure if the new codex has Centurius in it but his cost point is FREE...yup that's right...free.

Here are his stats

Name:	IMAG0369.jpg 
Views:	572 
Size:	184.8 KB 
ID:	7684

Read the Special rule bit, The Animus Malorum... O_O

I would love to field an army like this with the current 6th edition rules, but instead we are charged high amount for a product with LESS material in it opposed to a full army list which was only at a cost of a white dwarf magazine back in 1998.

Having said that I would have glad to have paid the money for the current Legion codex if it had the same amount of army list content as the 224 white dwarf article! The work has already been done! Just update it with the current rule set, bingo! You got yourself a product you can be proud of, customers are happy and you still make your profit! You could have even released an updated model of Sgt Centurius and made more profit! (Not that the current model isn't uber enough as it is, but it is a limited edition mini after all).

In conclusion I have no idea what is going on in GW HQ... This product was meant to be a sure winner. BUT! GW still has time to redeem itself to update the DLC codex to my suggestions, if you want a copy of White Dwarf 224 I'll gladly post the damn thing to you!

Yours sincerely

H.Malarey

By the Emperor's wisdom, the truth has been revealed to me! They are the lost ones, the spirits of the Fire Hawks lost in the warp. They are back from the dead to wreak vengeance on the enemies of mankind!

From the diary of scribe Historicus Malarey, charged with heresy, awaiting execution.
    Last edited by Abz; 03-06-2014 at 06:10 AM.

First-Captain

I thought I remembered that army but I couldn't find that issue, sadly missing it

but damn it is a shame they jumped the shark on this mini "codex"....
    "I was there the day Horus slew the Emperor".....
    my blog http://madlapsedwargamer.blogspot.co.uk/

Scout

Loved this issue of White Dwarf, the magazine was so much better back then! The models looked so awesome!

IIRC, there was another edition in the early 2000s that had a stripped-down version of the army list, just Commander / Troops / Dreadnought. And there was yet another version, a couple years later, called the Cursed Foundings, which had rules for a full LotD army as modifiers off the base SM army list (instead of setting up in your Deployment Zone, you used Deep Strike rules to deploy) as well as several other of the chapters that came to a bad end.

Brother-Captain

and the dread's base is square...... that should tell some how old this truely is. my only metal dread is currently painted like that one in the pic

I wish I could find the arm to my Sergeant Centurius

Quote Originally Posted by SaveModifier View Post
    I wish I could find the arm to my Sergeant Centurius
    I'm STILL bitter about the lack of bits ordering from the Trolls! Remember this WD too, was one of the first i got when getting into the hobby!

First-Captain

for real Nostalgia check out the orginal Wd article which I posted on the Rumours Thread for the LotD

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Richardson View Post
    they have been around a very loooong time, here is the original Index article from WD 99 way back in March 1988

Attachment 7404Attachment 7405Attachment 7406
    "I was there the day Horus slew the Emperor".....
    my blog http://madlapsedwargamer.blogspot.co.uk/