BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Chaplain

Default Grot Mega Tank weapons load out?

I'm building a Forgeworld Grot mega Tank and am the point to put on the weapons. What are your thoughts on:

1. Gluing down the turrets? I think I am just going to glue them in place. it would be nice to be able to turn them while playing and doing so would facilitate ranging and arc, but I can just see them toppling off and the weapons breaking.

2. Gluing in the weapons or magnetizing. I've not always had success with magnetizing. It might be difficult to do so on this vehicle being a resin kit. Has anyone magnetized the weapons? If so, how did you do it? (Come to think of it, I could magnetize the base of the turrets and solve #1)

3. Weapons load out. If I go with gluing, what is the optimum load out for this thing?

Thanks in advance.

Chaplain

I successfully magnetized the turrets so they will be able to be rotated during play. Still undecided on the weapons. I'm not sure it is worth having the Skortchas on the tank, if so there may be no reason to make the weapons interchangeable. I'm thinking:

Kustom mega Blaster in the top turret.
    Twinlinked Big Shootas in the forward turret.
    Twin linked rokkit launchas in the rear turret and a Grotzooka in each sponson turret.

I don't know the kit, but on a Leman Russ (for example) I know it's really easy to get 2 magnets inside the turret where the weapons two side pegs fit. Cutting off the pegs then and attaching magnets to the weapons is a really easy way to swap out your load outs. I have successfully magnetized a Russ turret to accept all the variant weapon options (from both kits!). Is this kit built the same way?

Top tip: a little ticky tacky putty stuff will keep your magnetized arms/weapons from drooping!

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by whargoul666 View Post
    I don't know the kit, but on a Leman Russ (for example) I know it's really easy to get 2 magnets inside the turret where the weapons two side pegs fit. Cutting off the pegs then and attaching magnets to the weapons is a really easy way to swap out your load outs. I have successfully magnetized a Russ turret to accept all the variant weapon options (from both kits!). Is this kit built the same way?

Top tip: a little ticky tacky putty stuff will keep your magnetized arms/weapons from drooping!
    Thanks. The Grot Mega Tank is a resin kit sio I thought it would be bit more difficult to magnetize. But I went to the hardware store and bought some small washers. I glued the in the turrets in the recesses where the weapons go. Then I used a Dremel to cut out space in the back of the weapons for the magnet. MIT worked well.

Good idea on the sticky tack.

Chaplain

Here's the tank with the turrets and weapons installed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GMT1.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	286.5 KB 
ID:	7757

Since taking the photo, I've added the rear exhausts and the pole. I just have to put the totem on and this is ready for the paint booth.
    Last edited by Blackcloud6; 03-08-2014 at 08:31 AM. Reason: fix picture link