BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Chaplain

Default The Rise of the Imperium Mini Dex Detachments

The last year has seen an increasing amount of digital and hardback supplements aimed at providing armies that can be used as alternate FOC primary detachments or used as a add on detachment outside of the standard FOC. So far with Inquisition, Legion of the Damned, Imperial Knights and this feature is rumored to be an option with some units in the upcoming Imperial Guard. Personally I like the trend since it allows us to field an ever more varied Imperium primary army and may just be a precursor to a Codex: Assassins, and herald in a new hardback Codex Adepta Soritas and Grey Knights or even dare I say Mechanicum army that doesn't necessarily need to create a glut of models in the prerequisite flyer and big unit models for every army range that 6th edition has had thus far.

Not even including for Formations as of right now we can field an army w/

Primary Detachment
    Allied Detachment
    Fortification
    Lord of War
    Inquisitorial Detachment
    Legion of the Damned Detachment
    Imperial Knight Detachment
    ((rumored Astra Militarum Auxillia detachment))

What are your thoughts? Could we be seeing an Assassin and Mechincum Mini-dex in the near future and perhaps a change for Grey Knights and Sisters to this mini dex format to save on the need to expand on their model range as much?

And if this works an even greater possibility of seeing it expanded on for Xenos, Harlequins, Kroot, Ork Freebooters, Genestealer Cults, Cult Chaos Legions.
    Last edited by Gleipnir; 03-08-2014 at 03:34 PM.

Chapter-Master

I like the increasingly modular nature of the game, but I'd love to see more of these for other armies. Xenos mercenaries mini dexes? That would be neat.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Brother-Captain

As much as I like getting this much affection for my little IoM forces I would like to see some of it head back the Xenos way. Harlequins might not be high on anyone's list but they're pretty much perfect for this. They work with just about anybody for reasons only they understand, have a simultaneously limited and expansive range, and could do with some fleshing out.

They're also a clever sales tool....

Say I get stuff I can use alongside my Necrons. For a smaller than usual outlay, I can add a complimentary force using a Dataslate. And if that force holds appeal, I'm likely to continue on and make it a full force.

Plus, they echo GW's approach. Not some hyper competitive system, but rules that allow us to use our collections for gaming.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks