BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Starting a WFB Army. But which one?

Recently, I received a credit at my FLGS and decided that I am going to give WFB a try. It seems to be a bit more balanced than 40k and requires more strategery. That being said I have no idea which army to play. If someone would be willing to give me a quick strengths and weaknesses run down of Lizardmen, Bretonnia, Warriors of Chaos, Dwarves, Ogres, Skaven, and Tomb Kings. I'm going to do my own personal research but this is my first stop. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm not a particularly active WFB player, so this is partly recycled forum wisdom, but...

I'd avoid TK, especially as a new player. They have what's generally regarded as the worst 8th edition book I believe. At least, it may not be weak per se, but it relies on synergy and isn't easy or forgiving for a newcomer. And I'd also avoid Brets for now at least, because they have an old book and cavalry isn't as effective in 8th edition as previously (this could all change soon, but I've not heard any detailed or reliable rumours).

Dwarfs are too new for me to comment really. The new models are nice, though rather expensive. Traditionally they're a not so exciting to play (with or against) 'gunline' army, but they can more than hold their own in combat, it's just that they're slow.

While WFB is much better balanced than 40k, it's probably fair to say that WoC are one of the armies at the top of the power curve. Practically no shooting, so very close combat oriented. Plenty of variety and options for conversion/painting. Also one of the most popular armies, especially at tournaments, if that sways you.

Lizardmen are also pretty new. Again, colourful and lots of choice for big monsters. Powerful magic and close combat, but plenty of flexibility.

Skaven are kind of like 40k Orks - not only in being a horde army but also unreliable. Lots of crazy war machines that can devastate either army.

Ogres are good if you like small model count, even if those models are large. Not an army I find that inspiring or know much about. If you like Ogres, it's perhaps worth mentioning that WoC armies can include some Ogres - but generally it's thought that they have better options (Trolls, Chimerae). Admittedly the OK army gets access to more 'toys'.

I've a moderate amount of experience with the Fantasy setting and have begun playing it fairly regularly. I play Elves (High and Dark) and Vampire Counts, so most of my experience with these armies is facing them in combat. So, in the order you listed them:

Lizardmen are fantastic. Their main infantry have a statline similar to ogres but there's more of them, they have a very solid Leadership and will almost never fail morale-related checks (which is a huge advantage), and they have a very solid range of supporting options (Stegadons are very nasty spearheads for charges and can plink for respectable amounts of damage until they crash into your opponent's lines, for example). Their magic is quite good, their heroes and lords are cheap and versatile, and they have great armor saves. They're also pretty fast, which is a plus. If you like the idea of killing your opponents with dinosaurs, they're a good pick.

Bretonnia is one of the last true herohammer armies, along with the Vampire Counts and Chaos. Yeah, I know, herohammer is dead, but really Bretonnia's got serious problems with its composition (being an older book) and its heroes are the only thing it really has to pick up the slack. Cavalry charges don't really work against the huge blocks of infantry that are popular, and while they can be effective if used to flank, Bretonnia seriously suffers in the infantry department. Without heroes, they have no serious punch or staying power (which most armies usually excel at least one of) and their magic is also fairly weak. They get an army-wide ward save, conditionally, but it really won't save you from weight of wounds since you typically won't be fielding as many models as your opponent. 2+ armor on cavalry is all well and good, but combat resolution is often just as decisive as being slain by your enemies.

Warriors of Chaos are a very solid pick if close combat appeals to you. Plus, strong supporting units. Their popularity means that there's a lot of resources available to research a strong army composition for them.

Skaven... if you have a lot of free time to assemble and paint models, they can be fun. Just, keep in mind that there's a huge amount of models involved in a skaven army. Strategically and tactically, they're quirky but viable. Typically they either play with berserk aggression or extreme defensiveness, I've yet to see anything between those extremes.

Ogres are terrifying on the offensive, but once their initial offensive momentum runs out (and they get flanked) it can be hard to keep a position together. They have great units, and done properly they can steamroll just about any opposition that doesn't have a 2+ armor save or monstrous toughness, but they're vulnerable to being outmaneuvered. Any Ogre Kingdoms army that wants to survive in the grind of melee combat needs to have flanking units to keep the pain going once the initial charge runs out of steam. Their statlines can seem intimidating (3 wounds a pop, for example), but their lack of any serious saves means that weight of attacks/wounds will shred them if they don't kill their enemy dead first. And with their low initiative, that can be difficult. Combat resolution isn't kind to them, either. A failed combat resolution and subsequent leadership check can result in an entire unit of expensive ogres getting wiped out. Despite seeming like a very straightforward army, Ogre players have to be way more aware of positioning than most other players because they don't have the luxury of multiple units running around to plug holes in their formation. The placement of a single brick of ogres can win or lose a game.

Dwarves excel at brick fighting. Get a couple immovable formations of infantry, set up some cannons or steampunk flying machines to bomb your enemy with, and get your enemy to come to you. They're a very defensive army with no magical options but a heavy focus on war machines like cannons.

Not a big fan of Tomb Kings. I play Vampire Counts, which are similar in a lot of ways. There's a large focus on your General as being the lynchpin of your army, and if you lose your General you essentially lose the game. Tomb Kings, like Vampire Counts, can bring back their own fallen warriors reliably through magic. This gives them a huge amount of staying power as long as your casters are alive and can control the magic phase of the game. Unlike Vampire Counts, their army composition is very tricky and not forgiving of mistakes. If you're interested in playing the undead, I'd suggest VC as an alternative. Tomb Kings is an old codex and very harsh to get started with.

Of the armies you listed, Lizardmen and Warriors of Chaos are the 'strongest' in my experience, though they're definitely not invincible. I mean strong in the sense that they have many viable army compositions which can present a solid challenge to other armies. Skaven, Ogres, and Dwarfs are all fairly predictable in terms of army composition and strategy. They can definitely win, but when you face one of those armies, you understand that your opponent is either going to be very aggressive or very defensive, without a whole lot of variation. Bretonnia and Tomb Kings ought to be avoided until they receive an update, unless you're fond of masochism.

First thing I would consider is what you would like to paint, If you don't mind painting a whole bunch of models then Skaven, Orcs and Goblins are right up your alley. If you want a low model count army then Ogre Kingdoms might suit you well.

What I would recommend is taking a look at what is in the 8th edition starter set ,that is a great way to get started since you get a mini rulebook and the start of two armies.

Brother-Sergeant

I'd suggest to read the rule book first. Get an understanding of the mechanics of the game. That will give you an idea of your playing style. Then go to the back of the rule book and look at the armies that are available. See what appeals to you most. Right now Ogre Kingdoms is my favorite army to play but I also play Empire, Bretonians, Wood Elves (which doesn't have a single elf in it), Tomb Kings, Chaos Dwafs and Skaven. I have been playing for a long time so if you want more in depth idea I can tell you, however, look at the rules and pictures first.

Brother-Sergeant

I'd suggest to read the rule book first. Get an understanding of the mechanics of the game. That will give you an idea of your playing style. Then go to the back of the rule book and look at the armies that are available. See what appeals to you most. Right now Ogre Kingdoms is my favorite army to play but I also play Empire, Bretonians, Wood Elves (which doesn't have a single elf in it), Tomb Kings, Chaos Dwafs and Skaven. I have been playing for a long time so if you want more in depth idea I can tell you, however, look at the rules and pictures first.