BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Xaric View Post
    looks like GW does sell plastic ones but without the jump pack and its a nice model too
    [url]http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440271a&prodId=prod1050 246[/url]
    I'm not sure, but I'd assume that's metal, not plastic.

Could i use a Jump pack from another kit?
    Only as long as it looks awesome.

I will say I've had a little trouble affixing jump packs to some of the older Chaplain models with fixed arm positions - the raised shoulder pad can prevent an easy fit. That said, if you use a modelling knife, you can trim away the excess, or else use a Sanguinary Guard pack, which should fit with no issues at all.

Hell, I've trimmed the teeth and Chaosy bits off Raptor packs and used those for Imperial preheresy models.

Bottom line: do what you want as long as it looks awesome. If your opponent complains? It's 'cause they're jealous.
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_S View Post
    I'm sure, and it's metal. Currently, the only plastic Chaplains are Seraphicus from the limited edition Dark Vengeance, and the one in the Reclusiam Command Squad bundle.

Ok i got it
    Libranrian with mastary lv 2 and a jump pack
    roll on the biomancy and Telepathy tables
    Vangaurd Vets with jump packs
    2 of them have a pair of lighting claws
    2 of them have a power weapon and stormshield
    and the sgt has a relic blade and stormshield

That should be a good deep strike deathstar

Chaplain

Ok i got it
    Libranrian with mastary lv 2 and a jump pack
    roll on the biomancy and Telepathy tables
    Vangaurd Vets with jump packs
    2 of them have a pair of lighting claws
    2 of them have a power weapon and stormshield
    and the sgt has a relic blade and stormshield

That should be a good deep strike deathstar
    deathstar to do what? Sit there the turn they arrive from reserves, get shot at then charged, or probably all jut die to shooting...

Because it's not like you can charge after Deep Striking with Codex SM Vangaurd vets...now BA Vanguard vets, you could, but you can't attach an IC

Quote Originally Posted by Angelofblades View Post
    deathstar to do what? Sit there the turn they arrive from reserves, get shot at then charged, or probably all jut die to shooting...

Because it's not like you can charge after Deep Striking with Codex SM Vangaurd vets...now BA Vanguard vets, you could, but you can't attach an IC
    or be smart deepstike out of sight of the enemy run out of LOS then charge the following turn...

or be smart deepstike out of sight of the enemy run out of LOS then charge the following turn...
    Good luck with that. That might be a decent unit, but death star it is not.

Indeed.

A deathstar requires grotesque hitting power AND grotesque survivability. That unit only has one of those.

Compare its damage output to the Screamerstar, then compare its survivability, and you'll see the difference. To quote 1D4chan:

First of all a definition: A somethingstar is a combo that's nearly impossible to kill, dishes out damage like nothing else and costs a fortune, similar to the deathstar, so it is only seen in high- to midlevel point games.

A ScreamerStar comes from the Chaos Demon Codex, featuring four Heralds and nine Screamers of Tzeentch. First of all enter the Screamers: Fast as a hurricane, no ranged attack, normal close combat attacks an a pseudo melta bomb attack, counting as jetbikes. These little guys are the armor and wounds of the Screamerstar.

Now the Heralds of Tzeentch are the real punch of this thing, four buggers on discs, all fitting in one HQ-slot. Heralds are level 3 psykers with access to divination and change, so an Exalted Locus of Conjuration makes sense on one of them. Two of them get Exalted Rewards, the other ones Lesser Rewards. Doesn't sound like much, does it?

The armor comes from one Psychic power named 'Forewarning' and the Exalted Reward 'Grimoire of True Names'. Forewarning gives the unit the psyker is in a 4++ save. The Grimoire of True Names make this a 2++ save on a dice roll of 3+, and all demons of Tzeentch reroll failed saves. One of those heralds will likely have forewarning, normally the player rolls eight times on the Divination table and the last four times he invests in 'Flickering Fire'.

The other Exalted Reward could be a Portaglyph, the two Lesser can be what the player likes. Now this unit has a body count of 13, after the first turn normally a rerollable Invulnerable Save of 2++, and up to 16D6 S6 AP4 witchfire hits on 24" which are likely ignoring cover. Models who were hurt have to make a toughness test. On a fail they take D3 additional wounds with no saves allowed.

The Fateweaver is a common addition as warlord, as he allows one dice per turn to be rerolled. Guess which.

Counters: There are some weaknesses. First of all, it is expensive and, thanks to the Emprah, not a pointing unit. It depends heavily on Forewarning, so if the munchkin doesn't get this, the unit has lost its main defence. The Grimoire carrier is vulnerable to Barrage Sniping, the whole unit to Mind Strike Missiles. The Unit has trouble to kill a few things: AV 12 flyers, everything AV 13 or higher, tough MC and large TEQ Squads. Also a good counter: Bring an everlasting Runepriest to the date.
    Note the highlighted bit, compare it to your unit and ask yourself: which of the two is more terrifying?

(Note: a Screamerstar has potentially 96 str 6 shooting attacks before it even gets into assault.

96.)
    Last edited by YorkNecromancer; 03-09-2014 at 05:44 PM.
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_S View Post
    Yeah, that's not the plastic one.

We do have a captain, librarian, and chaplain all in plastic on foot. Now we need to see them in Terminator Armor and bike variants, and a plastic techmarine on foot (with servo arm, harness, and conversion beamer options) and on a bike.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12