BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Knight Ion Shield Vs. Blast Templates

So I just had a game with my Knight last night and ran into a conundrum. The Knight declares his Ion Shield at the start of the turn, and let's say it's declared for the Front armour. In front of you is a Riptide with the Ion Cannon. He puts the large blast over you and you take it on the side armour as per rules. Do you get to take the Ion Shield if the damage gets taken on the side?

Chaplain

Blast weapons shots are resolved against the facing of the firing unit, do you mean Barrage?

Blast and Large Blast weapons are resolved as normal firing, i.e. against the closest side. What you're thinking of is the Barrage rule, which resolves (for purposes of working out who is hit and what cover save is permitted) from the final position of the center hole of the marker, and side only for the purpose of determining what AV it's going against (in older editions, this was explained as representing the thinner top-side armor). As the Riptide Ion Accelerator isn't Barrage, you'd use the closest facing to determine whether the Ion Shield was in play.

I would suspect that for a Barrage weapon, you'd use whatever "quadrant" the shot ended up in to determine whether the shield came into play or not; if you shield is front and the shot drifts into the front arc, you get it, otherwise no.
    Thank you for voxing the Church of Khorne, would you like to donate a skull to the Skull Throne today?

Blast and Large Blast weapons are resolved as normal firing, i.e. against the closest side. What you're thinking of is the Barrage rule, which resolves (for purposes of working out who is hit and what cover save is permitted) from the final position of the center hole of the marker, and side only for the purpose of determining what AV it's going against (in older editions, this was explained as representing the thinner top-side armor). As the Riptide Ion Accelerator isn't Barrage, you'd use the closest facing to determine whether the Ion Shield was in play.

I would suspect that for a Barrage weapon, you'd use whatever "quadrant" the shot ended up in to determine whether the shield came into play or not; if you shield is front and the shot drifts into the front arc, you get it, otherwise no.
    Thank you for voxing the Church of Khorne, would you like to donate a skull to the Skull Throne today?

Quote Originally Posted by DWest View Post

Barrage, as per the barrage section of the special rules always hits side armor of vehicles. (doesn't say which side though so who knows if the Knight has picked a side) so if he has picked the front and you hit him with an actual barrage weapon, no save imo.

So not relevant to riptides as they can get ordnance but not barrage.
    Last edited by Siris Le Osiris; 03-10-2014 at 03:04 AM.

Chaplain

even assuming you hit it with a barrage weapon that didn't scatter the solution is pretty simple though, just randomly roll for which side is hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Gleipnir View Post
    even assuming you hit it with a barrage weapon that didn't scatter the solution is pretty simple though, just randomly roll for which side is hit.
    The centre of the blast is only determining for the wound pool, so not at all applicable for vehicles, for vehicles it is "always resolved against the side armor" (To represent hitting the top I would assume) so all you would be rolling for is left or right as you cant hit the front or back if you are always hitting the side.

Quote Originally Posted by Siris Le Osiris View Post
    The centre of the blast is only determining for the wound pool, so not at all applicable for vehicles, for vehicles it is "always resolved against the side armor" (To represent hitting the top I would assume) so all you would be rolling for is left or right as you cant hit the front or back if you are always hitting the side.
    Wound pool, and also cover saves (i.e. if the barrage lands just on the other side of the wall, you still get cover, for example). It would either need to be allocated as per the final resting point of the marker, or not at all since you can't pick "top" as one of your sides. The idea of the left or the right being randomly more top than the other side doesn't feel "right".

In the meantime I would recommend not holding your breath waiting for an official FAQ.

The difference is the period then explaining how it affects vehicles.
    So yes you could say it works as above for cover saves but it still is always resolved against the side armor of a vehicle.
    Always is a pretty absolute wording and if the hit is always resolved on the sides it cant be defended by something on the front or back.
    Ergo unless the shield is on a side it cant save against it.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

which side is the question
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast