BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default A Thousand Pounds (If I'm not careful!)

Hi guys!

After 12 years away from Warhammer, I've come back to the hobby I love. Originally, I had Dark Eldar (I still have them), but I've decided now that I want a Chaos Space Marine force. I'm not sure right now whether I'm going to seriously get in to playing again or whether I'll just slowly collect an army and paint them up. I'll see if my brother and his Dark Angels, or my mate and his Orks are up for a bit of spirited slaughter!

Now, having looked at it extensively, I've decided I'm set on a Thousand Sons army - I know that points-wise they are pricey, and that there are already many thousand different takes on them, but I like them.

Because I can't afford GW prices, I've been hitting eBay, and have already accrued the Chaos side of the Dark Vengeance box set, a second helbrute (I know it gets a bad rep, but I love the look of the model), 33 assorted chaos marines (for £10!) and a chaos terminator lord. Currently bidding on a few terminators and then I don't quite know what I'll go for then. I suppose with a wedding to save for I ought to switch what I'm spending on...

Anyhoo, I thought I'd chart my progress here, in the vague hope someone might be interested, or at the very least so I can keep track of what Ive done when and re-visit it when I'm finished for nostalgia!

So, today I cracked open the dark vengeance set (as it's the only one I physically have at the moment - the others are on their way).

My first impressions are that I don't remember building the models being so fiddly - though I guess my fingers have grown since I was 10! Also, the sprues/models seem quite sturdy, with exception of two of the cultists, who's locating dowels snapped off - d'oh!

The backpack for Kranon flew off the sprue as I made the final cut, at exactly the point when the lightbulb went - all I heard was a ping and a drop as it hit something or other - I've nicked the backpack off of an old Space Marine sprue for now.

Final things I didn't realise when I bought the set were: it didn't come with any bases! Some should be winging their way to me from e-Bay as we speak. For now, I've cut holes in my budget cutting mat... Also, one of the cultists who should have the heavy stubber was missing - stubber is there, but the actual chap has gone! If anybody has one knocking around, I'll happily pay a few shillings for him...

I'm not going to rush painting them, I'm gonna take my time and really give it a good attempt. So far, I've only clicked them together - can't say that the click system is my favourite to be honest!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0335.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	258.3 KB 
ID:	7817Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0340.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	184.1 KB 
ID:	7818Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0342.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	181.8 KB 
ID:	7819Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0345.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	220.2 KB 
ID:	7820Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0349.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	222.9 KB 
ID:	7821Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0351.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	235.4 KB 
ID:	7822Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0355.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	172.7 KB 
ID:	7823Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0357.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	172.0 KB 
ID:	7824Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0367.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	192.1 KB 
ID:	7825Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0368.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	206.3 KB 
ID:	7826

I have some things to ask you all too, not just a lecture to give.

1)With the cultists, how would you recommend I paint them? Is it worth doing the same colours as the 1ksons, or something else?
    2) Im thinking of separating my rubric marines and their sorcerors by the cults. To distinguish them, I'm going to have different eye/spot colours. Simple, yet effective I think - how about you?
    3) Also, paint before or after glueing?

Eventually, I have a plan for kitbashing a Magnus model, though that's some way off and under serious planning at the moment.

Cheers for reading guys and stay tuned,

db

Librarian

1) I would paint them up with bone coloured cloth and blue armour plates to tie them into your 1K Sons.
    2) Sounds like a good idea.
    3) Paint after glueing.
    "Let them come. We shall smite them down where they stand" Warsmith Vorax of the 15th Grand Battalion.

Just a cheeky little update...

My box of 33 assorted CSM came from e-Bay today, along with a base for my first helbrute. I also popped into GW with my little sis (who think's it's all 'plastic toys' haha) and picked up a few more paints and some liquid greenstuff.

Here's my shoebox of chaos -

Name:	DSCF0398.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	211.5 KB 
ID:	7849

The majority of them seem to be Khorne Berserkers, but no matter - they don't look so bad Tzeentch-ified as it goes.

So, in the absence of the bases for my other chaps, I decided to have a shot at painting one of the new lads that came for me today.

Name:	DSCF0370.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	172.8 KB 
ID:	7850

Name:	DSCF0374.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	158.3 KB 
ID:	7851

Name:	DSCF0389.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	178.6 KB 
ID:	7852

Name:	DSCF0394.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	186.1 KB 
ID:	7853

Name:	DSCF0396.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	180.8 KB 
ID:	7854

The guy I painted is the mirror image of the black one at the end. It came primed in black so I worked from there. I started with a base coat of Macragge Blue on all the armour, leaving some of the edges and all of the trim black. The edges and trim I then did with a base of XV-88 (a sort of lightish brown). I then layered over them with Gehenna's Gold, which is wonderfully glitzy. (As an aside, I'm quite fond of the new paint pots, especially with the sort of chute in the middle, though they are tough to open at first!).

I did try to do the blue and yellow on the helmet, but that was a fiddly little bugger, so I gave up in the end - it just didnt look great. I was using flash-gitz yellow.

Generally though, I think it's come out alright - certainly not bad for someone who hasnt painted anything this small and intricate in 12 years!

I am concerned that the blue is too dark, and the gold too bronze, and that the miniature doesn't grab your eye enough.

What do you guys think? Does it look alright for a first attempt? What could be done to make it grab your attention?

Cheers,

db

Never having seen Berserkers paint in any other colors than those of Khorne i'd like to say that i really like how they look with this color set. I'm sure you could even figure out some fluffy reason as to how they ended up in a force of 1k sons.