BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chaplain

Default Cover saves for Fortifications.

Simple but beardy question. If Barricades are taken as an upgrade for a Firestorm Redoubt, and are placed in front of it, would they provide the Fortification with a cover save, having obscured it by 25%?

If so, and the Redoubt had a Void Shield upgrade, would the cover save extend to the armor 12 Void Shield as well?

Chaplain

I believe this is answered in the 40k FAQ. No cover saves for fortifications.

Chaplain

I searched the FAQ for every instance of the words "Fortification", "Building" and "Cover" and didn't find anything related to this. :/

Chaplain

I was pretty sure I had seen it before...I was recently looking at the FAQ too because I had a question about blessings and arriving from reserves and found my answer there. For some reason I was thinking I had seen it there.

Chapter-Master

Fortifications may receive cover saves as long as all the related rules for cover saves are followed.

Those are some pretty large barricades, and I wouldn't be surprised that an opponent might be someone annoyed.
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

Yeah, I don't see anything wrong with this.

If you're following the correct scale for the barricades then no, they won't obscure 25% of the Firestorm anyhow. They're only around half the height of a normal figure. Nowhere near enough to cover 25% of a Firestorm.
    Astra Miliwotsit? You're in the Guard now son....

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by John Bower View Post
    If you're following the correct scale for the barricades then no, they won't obscure 25% of the Firestorm anyhow. They're only around half the height of a normal figure. Nowhere near enough to cover 25% of a Firestorm.
    I thought the Aegis defense line was the closest thing GW made to imperial style barricades?

Chaplain

Had this recently come up at a game, so I am still wondering about this. The BRB says "Units may shoot at or charge an occupied building just as if it was a vehicle" Despite this, someone claimed that a Fortification isn't expressly a "vehicle" and since the rules of the game are permissive, no where in the BRB did it say that Fortifications would be granted cover saves from intervening models (5+), Nightfight (Stealth) etc.

But by that logic, couldn't one also claim that Melta/Fusion weapons do not work against Fortifications since Melta only expressly "when rolling to penetrate a vehicle's Armour..."

Fortifications in general aren't vehicles; your friend is right about that. But I would not accept that a building being a vehicle for shooting purposes means it doesn't benefit from cover saves. Determining what sort of save a model is entitled to is part of resolving a shooting attack against it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast