BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Chaplain

Good call Nabterayl, cover saves are on a model/target basis, not by model "type" under the section about the shooting phase. So any model or target, regardless of it's type, gets a cover save if it is obscured 25%, in area terrain or has intervening models in the way.

Now, what about the wording on Melta? It seems safe to say that Melta doesn't work against Fortifications. Even if one argued that shooting at them was handled "just as if" it were a vehicle, that only covers shooting, not penetrating/wounding.

Chaplain

Nothing in the rules prevents cover saves for buildings, though the rules for shooting at the buildings use vehicle rules so you would need the save 25% cover rules which requires some good amount of barricade cover or a low profile building to receive, The Imperial Bunker model could likely receive 25% but the Firestorm Redoubt is taller and wider, so would likely require an intervening Ruin to receive any such save.

In regard to Void Shields being permitted the cover save, the answer would be no, as cover saves are applied after wounds and armor penetration is determined while Void Shields redirect from the targeted model to the Void Shield as a part of being roll To Hit before Armor Penetration rolls. As Void Shields themselves are not a unit/model or represented outside of being a rule attached to something their is no method to determine intervening terrain to one.
    Last edited by Gleipnir; 04-23-2014 at 11:05 AM.

I don't think that's a valid way to break things down. If wounding/penetration rolls aren't part of shooting at a target, what is? Are we going to start saying that rolling to hit isn't part of shooting, too? Much better to interpret "shooting" as page 12 does: the entire process from nominating a unit to make a shooting attack through the resolution of casualties.

Chaplain

wounds/armor penetration is resolved after to hit is resolved and void shields interrupt where to hits are applied. You can't target a void shield(its an ephermal rule not a model). Same way a Power Field covering a building protected by a Void Shield doesn't give your Void Shield a magical 4+ invulnerable save to Armor Penetration rolls.
    Last edited by Gleipnir; 04-23-2014 at 11:16 AM.

Chaplain

I tend to agree with Gleipnir about the Void Shield getting cover.

In this particular game, it was argued that although there are no rules which prevent cover saves on buildings, there are also no rules which explicitly permit them to. However I think that the bit about treating shooting at Fortifications just as if they were vehicles is more than enough evidence. In the very least P.18 of the BRB says "If a target is partially hidden from the firer's view... it receives a 5+ cover save" which sets precedence that regardless of what type of unit a "target" is, it receives applicable cover.

What I am curious about now are Melta and Ordnance weapons. Interestingly, USRs which expressly effect “Vehicles”, such as Melta and Ordnance, do not seem to effect Fortifications (any more than they would effect Monstrous Creatures or Cavalry) since Fortifications have their own entry, damage table etc. Precedence for this seems to be that other USRs explicitly mention “Armour Penetration”, rather than "Vehicle", such as Haywire and Armourbane, would would function the same regardless of the type of armour they hit.

Chaplain

Well buildings are treated in all respects as Transport Vehicles with some exceptions regarding being immobile, and lacking Hull Points, and substituting how glancing hits and penetrating hits are resolved.

So Armuorbane, Haywire, Melta and Ordinance would all behave as they would normally when applied to a building the same way they would be applied to a Rhino, unless their special rule specifies it has no effect on buildings as is the case with Graviton weapons.

I would argue that in many places it is stated that Melta weapons are meant for cutting into buildings/armour equally. So should affect buildings the same. It comes down to a problem where GW have a really bad habit of 'copy/pasting' rules from earlier editions without proof reading how they will work in a new version. Fifth didn't really have 'buildings' as such, only in Planetstrike where we know they were affected by any weapon that affected vehicles the same way. Though back then glancing hits were more punishing on everything than they are now especially buildings.
    Astra Miliwotsit? You're in the Guard now son....

Chaplain

Thanks guys, I'll keep these in mind next time I play.

If I do run into an opponent who just insists that Forts don't get cover saves, then I will assert that by the same logic both Melta and Ordnance have no bonus against them either. It seems pretty clear though that for all intents and purposes all Forts and Buildings are just treated as stationary "Vehicles". Now if only that Skyshield were so simple :P

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12