BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Chaplain

Cool Disapointment with anticipated Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum releases.

So lately I’ve been pretty disappointed by GW’s releases and especially with this new Imperial Guard book. I’m not trying to offend anyone or incite frustration, but am instead just speaking my mind and own opinion. It’s a real downer when something new comes out that you’ve waited years for, and while you should be excited, counting the days and planning new purchases, you just kind of shrug your shoulders and look to alternatives.
    Watching Games Workshop releases lately has been like watching a basketball game where one team keeps Michael Jordan and Shaq on the bench but in the meantime sends out Joe the Plumber in hopes that maybe he could have some hidden talent and bring something new to the team. New releases, like the Knights, are often crippled by self-imposed limitations such as the inability to ally with Chaos or lack of good rules, such as in the case of the new Hellbrute.

The IP has sooo much potential. GW has a virtual license to print plastic money. Players would buy up tons of Plastic Steel Legion, Guardsmen in greatcoats, Ollanius Pius, dynamically posed Marbo, not to mention the other ignored models/armies like Sisters of Battle, Inquisition, Chaos Legions, or greater Daemonprinces (Keeper of Secrets anyone?). Besides Space Marines, these characters get some of the most attention from fans in the form of artwork, fanfiction, and chatter yet have been ignored for over a decade while GW is on it’s quest to find something new, the next big thing. However, like the Emperor on the Great Crusade, they seem to be forgetting the awesome things they still have around them… and like the Heresy, it’s biting them in the arse.

What I’m looking forward to :
    First, the Storm Troopers look great. While I would have preferred more dynamic poses over the stocky, rugby player stances GW is typical for, these models were probably #1 on most serious Guard player’s wanted list. Hopefully the rules reflect this as currently Storm Troopers are some of the worst victims of Codex power creep and are outclassed point for point by most any 6th edition unit. Essentially you are paying 1 more point than a Space Marine per model for a soldier that has a worse armor save, worse stat line and less special rules, for a marginally better gun and optional special ability.
    As far as the name change, it’s not a big deal. We all know it has to do with copyright and if it makes GW feel more secure, so a rose by any other name… I am only hoping that many of the issues with Infantry are fixed in this new codex as there are many quirks with the current book that make them operate sub par. Unfortunately I have this sinking feeling that Orders will change to a Once Per Game mechanic, to the detriment of the army, as Infantry lists are already underpowered and unfeasible.

What I’m not looking forward to:
    As a tread head, a person who loves armored vehicles and owns almost 30 GW vehicles and tanks, I can honestly say the Taurox is not in the least bit appealing. The last thing the Guard needed is what appears to essentially be a support vehicle with a weapon strapped on it, which doesn’t fit the current aesthetic of the other vehicles. It will simply look out of place next to Leman Russ’ and Chimeras. I’m sure there will be claims of “wait, you’ve only seen one photo in a magazine, it will look different in reality”. That’s just it, it’s a professional photo of a professionally painted model in a magazine. If that can’t sell a model, then holding some black primed pile of plastic a player cobbled together at the FLGS is hardly going to be any more convincing. If the box art can’t sell me then it’s a failure as a marketing piece. If it doesn’t look cool it’s a failure as a model in a game which is intended to be aesthetically pleasing.

As for the Hydra Flakk tank, I’m on the fence. It looks great… but isn’t it too little too late? The flyers one really needs to worry about are armor 12, which a Str 7 Autocannon really has trouble being effective against (and at AP4 you have a 50% chance of being relatively non-effective even with a penetrating hit). Add in that they have evidently made it open topped makes this metal box even less appealing. Hopefully they will move this to Fast Attack as otherwise this Heavy Support choice is just another carrot in the way of your meat and potatoes; the big tanks of the Imperial Guard.
    Lastly are, Ogryns, a unit which rarely ever sees play currently due to poor rules and expensive, outdated models. Is this what IG players were really wanting/needing, a quirky unit that most people don’t really ever talk about? With the new Ally’s rules in 6th edition, there are better close combat units easily available. A cheap Inquisitor with some Henchmen comes to mind, a unit which could easily take out a squad of Ogryn and look better while doing it or a Captain with some Assault Marines… the options are there. Maybe it’s a British thing but does GW really think that what players want is a new model of some flabby, fat, bald guys with make shift armor? If I want to see that I can go to the local LARP club night. Nurgle fans aside… these do not follow the Rule of Cool.

So unfortunately, GW has probably lost any sales to me on this entire new release despite the fact that I had actually held off buying any other new kits in anticipation. Dreamforge’s Eisenkern troops or Raging Heroes’ TGitG are just much more appealing than anything GW is coming out with lately and if it’s a matter of having GW tourney legal models I can just settle for the cheap plastic Cadians which GW has decided suffice for their primary IG troop choice, despite looking like something out of Space Balls.

So, not intended to ruffle any feathers but just find a common ear and put in my $0.25 and before anyone has the chance to say it, yes I'm waiting for the actual release comes out to pass any judgement but for now will not be putting any money on preorders and instead probably opting into Raging Heroes.

TL;DR, Not impressed or excited about what we have seen so far from new Imperial Guard. Won't be pro-ordering and wish that wasn't the case.
    Last edited by Harley; 03-13-2014 at 02:19 PM.

I always withhold judgement until I see clear pictures of something, or get to see the model in person. Almost every recent release has suffered from instant hate, but it has turned out that initial pictures were at odd angles, or it was difficult to judge proportions with nothing to use to judge actual size, or the paint job wasn't very flattering.

The other thing to keep in mind is how much misinformation is in the wild even just a week or two before the books hits hands.

I will paint any model that is cool, convert anything that doesn't fit my theme, and just hope for good rules.

Chaplain

I would suggest not making a rush to judgement. Just wait till the new rules are actually in your hands before you make any other buying decisions. For now, just save some money back and wait till after the stuff actually hits the stores.

We all know how it goes. You want your army to get a good release. It's easy to fall into the pre-release worry trap

Chapter-Master

You could make a WWII British themed army with the shortbus and praetorian guard, though.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Librarian

I understand your frustration on some these releases, as people have said well hold off to see how the releases go for total judgement.

that said... yes, the New Figures/Army and the Taurox seems like a large un-aesthetically fitting fluff/Universe exspansion that seems unnecsary considering all most IG players wanted was plastic Hydras, Stormtroopers, and an Attack Fighter.

and yes, it sucks that some of the most clear winners for release as plastic kits wont happen now because of the similar products developed by 3rd party companies.

I hate to admit it but short of some real suprises we havent heard about,
    it looks like the Imperium also has a Mycetic Spore sized hole in its release heart. Thank copyright lawyers everywhere.

We arent going to get plastic steel legion because too many companies make 3rd party gas mask heads. and thats the ******* truth.

while im personally not super bummed, let him be bummed i he wants to be bummed.
    Last edited by Arkhan Land; 03-13-2014 at 03:34 PM.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by ToHitMod View Post
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/faq.php?faq=termsmaster#faq_termsuse
    no its not, there is no over the top exaggeration used to prove or highlight a point.

to the OP, if you really like the old regiments like vlhallans, steel legion, etc. Diver into 3rd party, its the only way you will be satisfied and some of the ranges are fantastic.
    Last edited by The Girl; 03-14-2014 at 10:16 AM.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by ToHitMod View Post
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/faq.php?faq=termsmaster#faq_termsuse
    And even if he is... Is your sarcasm going to help anything? All it does is make you appear to be a troll with nothing positive to add to the conversation.

The OP might be worrying about this a little too much but I can understand it. If he has been playing for a long time, then he has probably built up a large collection of guard models. You probably know how much of an investment a Guard army is in both time and cash. While other armies only have 30-40 models in a medium army, Guard can easily have 100 model count armies. Plus vehicles aren't cheap either.

Most of us have been there.. that's why the you see the general message of "Wait till the rules and models are actually in stores".
    Last edited by The Girl; 03-14-2014 at 10:16 AM.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Removed - [url]http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/faq.php?faq=termsmaster#faq_termsuse[/url]

I am scratching my head at the last statement though.....im not complaining about nids....because we got some nice fun and good options in the slates.....so do you expect me to complain when GW is fixing what they broke? Or do you just have a chip on your shoulder and were teying to insinuate that I was some sort of un fluffy WAAC gamer

Edit: oh and fir the record if you got more involved in the other parts of the hobby you would have seen some pretty positive nid posts
    Last edited by The Girl; 03-14-2014 at 10:17 AM.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Even if the vehicle is real and not a kitbash; I reserve judgement on that for now. I don't think from the rumours I'm seeing it's intended as part of the IG codex (sorry Astra Militarum; bog this I'm still going to call them Guard). It's for another codex entirely the Tempestus or whatever they're called. Now it does look as though some models do cross over (storm troopers for one) and that may be a GW thing of making more money from us. We'll have to wait and see on that till it/they are released and WD gives us more info.
    Astra Miliwotsit? You're in the Guard now son....

I don't much like the new truck. Nor the Ogryns. Nor the name change, so I'm largely with the OP.

My IG is Tallarn metal, and my armor starts with 1st gen Russ & Chimera kits. Thing is, the new truck won't even convert into something I'd want to field. It's terrible.

Oh well, my wallet is fine with that.
    - 40k Eldar, Imperial Guard & Chaos Marines ∙ WFB Dogs of War ∙ WM/H Cryx ∙ BFG Chaos & Imperial Navy -

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast