BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    Moreso than someone who is at the 'those space marine thingies are pretty cool' .
    Fair enough, but you seriously think that it's a good idea to pick an army because it's "easy" and then blow $500 on it, without doing the homework to figure out if it's really what you're going to enjoy in the long run?
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPaladin View Post
    Does two years in the hobby make me a vet?
    No, you need to be able to wax lyrical about the good old days of 2nd edition and how it was a proper table top role play game and talk about the glorious vehicle damage charts and talk about rogue trader
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    No, you need to be able to wax lyrical about the good old days of 2nd edition and how it was a proper table top role play game and talk about the glorious vehicle damage charts and talk about rogue trader
    That makes you a Venerable Dreadnought, not a Veteran.
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

If I were starting an army right now I'd probably go for one that has been updated for 6th edition all ready, as has been mentioned. Space Marines are pretty great and likely occupy a mid tier in terms of power level compared to top tier armies like Eldar and Tau.

Dark Angels are suffering from being the first codex of the edition, and they missed out on a lot of new toys that their skittles colored brethren got. I personally prefer to motif and personality of the Dark Angels, and they can make some pretty decent lists from what they have. Their two flyers aren't that bad in the 6th edition context, although the bomber can be a bit esoteric and challenging to get full effect out of and the fighter is certainly not the best imperial fighter available. (it will still knock other flyers out of the sky and kill things on the ground though, just not as efficiently as say a vendetta.)

Deathwing terminators are all ballers. In my humble opinion the best bang for your points in the terminator world. You get fearless to go along with all the normal termy goodies, but the real magic is the ability to dictate what turn they teleport in, with the added bonus of twin-linking all their shots on the turn they abracadabra onto the board. Combine that with some excellent fast attack options that let you completely avoid scattering and you've got a hell of a one-two punch. Then there's the Knights, who are probably the premier close combat assault unit in the game right now (for one turn a game.) They will kill basically anything in one round of hyper violence. (I haven't done the math on it, but I'd bet even odds they can take down middling titans, they will definitely hand Wraithknights and Riptides their shiny metal bottoms if they can catch them.)

The oft forgotten "Green-wing" are also pretty darn good at what they do. Being the stubborn marines gives them even more of a "set it and forget it" feel. Plop these dudes on an objective and you'll probably control it until the last plastic superman draws his final, tiny little breath. When you combine them with the banner of devastation it becomes, well devastating.

One last thing of note about the Dark Angels is that their librarians have access to divination. This has become a rarer skillset in 6th, with the skittles marine codex losing it completely. The divination psychic tree is probably the most powerful in all of 40k. Nothing says lovin' like 40 twin linked bolter shots from a single squad.

You might wait around and see if/when the bloody angels get a 6th edition update as well. I give it even odds that it will be better than bad. So far power armor armies are about even (Space Marines good, Spikey Marines bad, Dark Angels MEH) Assault armies are also tied (Chaos daemons good, Tyranids make everyone sad.) If we see orks come out before BA I think that will be the tipping point for my arbitrary determination.

As much as I love playing Necrons.....

I agree that for a starter force you should lean towards Vanilla Marines. 75% or more of your opponents will be playing some form of Space Marines as well - which will decrease the learning curve for weapons and rules. After you've collected and played the basics for a bunch of games you can decide your playing style; shooty, assaulty, heavy vehicles, bikes, fortifications, etc.. - then select a chapter that has the tactics which match your playing style - then it's off to the paint table to update your generic Marines paint scheme into your chapter colors.

Welcome to the party!
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ T. Pratchett

Chapter-Master

I will concede that buying some generic marines and not painting them - perhaps even affixing character's arms with putty rather than glue - and then picking your chapter isn't a bad idea. Actually, it's pretty clever. You could easily use this strategy to pivot to almost any chapter, from some of the "special" chapters like Blood Angels and Space Wolves to the more-or-less normal chapters, like those described in Codex: Space Marines.

However, there are three important flaws in this plan that you should be aware of:

1) Some chapters use sufficiently different models that this pivot will be challenging and nigh-impossible. The Grey Knights, for example, actually rarely use ordinary power armored dudes. They are much more likely to field terminators, and when they field power armor, it has special teleporter options... and also, they all have storm bolters and swords instead of boltguns and pistols. The carcharodons (a brutal and mysterious close-combat focused Chapter detailed by Forgeworld in their Chapter Tactics document, which you should download) often field at least one tactical squad with assault squad gear. The Fire Angels chapter (same document) has access to special wargear for their sergeants. And so on.

2) You will miss out on a lot of awesome modeling opportunities for your initial squads. A Blood Angels squad - even a Blood Angels tactical squad - doesn't have to look anything like a vanilla marines squad. Neither do Space Wolves or Dark Angels. This is part of what makes these chapters so awesome, and you're going to start off your career missing out on that, which would be sad.

3) The codices are pretty dense and have a lot of important information. You're going to have to... er... acquire them somehow. Blood Angels aren't just marines-that-are-red - they have a lot of special rules, and you need their book to run them. The same is true of Space Wolves, Dark Angels, and every other chapter represented by Codex: Space Marines, including the ones whose Chapter Tactics are in that Forgeworld pdf I mentioned. Unless you have a buddy willing to let you extendedly borrow his army books, you are going to need to possibly... er... get them in some other way that I'm not allowed to mention, which you may find objectionable.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPaladin View Post
    Unless you have a buddy willing to let you extendedly borrow his army books, you are going to need to possibly... er... get them in some other way that I'm not allowed to mention, which you may find objectionable.
    I think he means pay for them. Nobody likes doing that. lel

The Fire Angels chapter (same document) has access to special wargear for their sergeants. And so on.
    He means the Fire Hawks Chapter.
    I play the Fire Angels and there is nothing special about us. xD
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tzeentch's Dark Agent View Post
    He means the Fire Hawks Chapter.
    I play the Fire Angels and there is nothing special about us. xD
    Bah. I always get those guys wrong.

Space marines for sure. They are a easy army to learn because almost all of your units are made up of the basic marine. But that still gives you access to a lot of cool toys and they are fun to play. Now do not think they are the bland army of this game they are far from it. You will have to figure out a chapter/paint scheme you like and the chapter tactics that come with it. They have plenty of great kits that are easily compatible with one another and you will always have tons of spare sweet bits you will use in the future.
    Purge the Weak!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast