BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Of Codex Issues and Dataslates....

How do?

Bit of a tenuous link here I'll freely admit, but without further ado, off we go.

So, ever since the current Chaos Codex came out, we've heard Chaos players expressing dissatisfaction with their Dreadnoughts, feeling they took second place to the shiny new Daemon Engines, and lacked toughness for a casual walk across the table. Common remedy requested? Drop Pods/Dread Claws, like their Imperial brothers, in order to get dropped closer to the enemy.

Far from an unreasonable request, I'm sure most will agree.

What do we now have? Helbrute Dataslate, which amongst two others, includes (apparently) a trio of Helbrutes teleporting onto the board. Which is, more or less, give or take, one of the Chaos player's main issues with the unit addressed and rectified. Yes, it could well have been put into the Codex from the outset, but then that can be said of any of the Dataslates, and it is a downside. But the upside of Dataslates? They don't take up any FoC slots. So with this, you can have your three Helbrutes, and your usual stuff from whichever slot they normally occupy (not a Chaos player, so not that up on their organisation).

Is this a sign of things to come, or a momentary blip of happenstance? Let's also consider the triumvate of Nid Dataslates. Outside of usual Codex organisation, but seemingly quite well received (again, not counting that they could have somehow been incorporated into the Codex).

What might we see next? Is there anything you want to see 'Slated' in the future?
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Librarian

It's tough to say what's going to come out in the future. I foresee a lot of one-off model releases being coupled with Dataslates though.

The main thing about these Dataslates is that they boost sales. What do you need for those Helbrute formations? Most likely 3+ Helbrutes. Many players would have gotten one from Dark Vengeance and maybe one of the new ones when they hit... but who would buy three? Well, now that you can do interesting stuff with them, people might be much more willing to put down the money for that third model.

Same thing with the Tyranid stuff. Especially the stuff with Lictors. How many people would start a Nid army with a bunch of Lictors? Well, now that there's a big old dataslate that covers them, people are much more willing to invest in a bunch of the kits, instead of just the limits the FOC allows.

So, I think we'll see more along those lines. Potentially some Dataslates in the future when the Aspect Warriors for Eldar get replaced with plastic. Maybe Dataslates that will cover new ways to use Bullgryns or Ogryns to help boost those sales. I could even see another Chaos Dataslate coming out for whenever the Chosen get released.

I guess we'll see. I'm eager for the Helbrute Dataslate. It looks like there are going to be some fluffy and interesting rules to go along with this great new kit!

Another thought strikes me, using the CSM and Nid dexes....they're both rather vanilla in terms of representing the forces. You can assemble a wide variety of builds should you wish, but they don't get perks as such.

Dataslates seem to shake that up, particularly for Tyranids by providing a Slated core to your force, without gobbling up FoC choices. So for a seeding swarm, take the relevant Slate for the perks, with the back up of you choice.

Could also be the main route of thinking behind them?
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

ahem

Maybe we should wait until its released before we draw conclusions about what hellbrutes can and cannot?

That being said I'm of the opinion that properly organized dataslates can do wonders for a boring codex, offering templates to build a force around.

The leviathan 2 slates have been the best they have released, Not because of scoring gargoyles, but because they feel like a tyranid army should feel and they basically allow "themed" forces to actually be effective.

I'm looking forward to the brute slates and could see myself using any of the 3 (based on the background description)

In my dream world it will go like this

Mayhem pack (2-4 brutes): deepstriking (potentially T1 ala pods)
    Cult (1 brute, 2 cultist squad): Brute is scoring, gets bonus save form cultists, can target cultists with insanity rolls.
    murder mcaawesomepack (3-5 brutes): one brute is the "leader" gets the daemon engine rules, allows re-roll of insanity results, if he dies, all brutes make insanity rolls next turn
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

I'm just going off what we've seen, namely the ability to field Deepstriking Helbrutes, as seen in the iBooks taster.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    I'm just going off what we've seen, namely the ability to field Deepstriking Helbrutes, as seen in the iBooks taster.
    I was making a joke mystery.....
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Smilies, bunghole!

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Smilies, bunghole!
    what happened to the deadpan smilie? I always like that one

And what the heck is wrong with the forum, I keep getting double post warnings and my editing doesn't re-direct properly

Chaplain

So when you want to take something from one of the dataslates, you just pay the points for it? It doesn't take a slot on the FOC?

I haven't used any of the dataslates yet so I wasn't sure how they worked.

Battle-Brother

My problem with dataslates is I'm beginning to think codex's are being made bland on purpose to necessitate their purchase. It honestly feels way too convenient that Tyranids dropped and was hailed as one of the worst designed and blandest books, while magically on the day of release we were told dataslates were already on the way. And now IG are getting a day one supplement?

I don't trust any company. Yes they are out to make money, but they can make said money without being a dick.

We'll just have to wait and see if that was actual incompetence with Nids, or the shadow of something worse to come.
    The time for hope has long since past, the shadow of death is the one I cast.
    Tyranid: Record as of 3/14/2014 0 W - 5 L - 0 D

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast