BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

For me, it depends how it plays out.

For instance, Tyranid Vanguard. From what I can gather, it's not something they could necessarily do with the Codex, and still have it flexible enough for other types of forces. So right there, I'm happy to pay for the base codex, and any data slate which allows me to super-theme my force.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Librarian

I'm more concerned about the MiniDexes more than the Dataslates. Dataslates take things out of FOC slots and build new, more interesting rules for them, rules that, quite frankly, you wouldn't see in a normal Codex.

The MiniDexes, for Legion of the Damned and Inquisition, seem like chunks out of a Codex that should have stayed with the Codex...

Besides, Dataslates are cheap enough compared to the hobby to ignore. The Mini-Dexes are what really hurt as expensive as they are.

Supplements I'm not so worried about. Again, they add things that you wouldn't normally see in a Codex, unless you're Space Marines.

I like the idea of being able to make effective tweaks without a full Codex release. I don't think that dataslates should come out with a new codex release unless they somehow open up new units for another army without using up the allied detachment slot, that just smells like something that was missed when the codex was written.

Mini-dexes do have their place.

For instance, Legion of the Damned one? Likely unnecessary if you are fielding a Codex Space Marines force. But IG, GK, SoB, SW, DA, BA? Allows me to attach them.

They let me build a list matching my interpretation of the background. And that's something I look forward to.

So far, I've only picked up Iyanden, and I really like that book. As a background centric hobbyist, I was happy with the price as I got a lot of brand new background to obsess over, and should I fancy a Ghost Warrior heavy army, the option to go full Iyanden, with a couple of small 'rewards' for doing so. And I do mean rewards, rather than incentives. To me, an incentive would be to make a variant Codex noticeably better than it's parent. A reward is a little bonus for going background matching.

Splitting hairs? Depends on your point of view!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    For me, it depends how it plays out.

For instance, Tyranid Vanguard. From what I can gather, it's not something they could necessarily do with the Codex, and still have it flexible enough for other types of forces. So right there, I'm happy to pay for the base codex, and any data slate which allows me to super-theme my force.
    I kinda disagree Mystery.

There honestly isn't too much in either set of dataslates that couldn't have been in the codex. ie:

lictors, brood size 1-5, deploy individually, units within 6 are at -1 Ld

Stealers: special rule x, my infiltrate within 6 of units if in area terrain

Gants, gaunts and gargs: Endless swarm rolled into the base profile

Tervigon: Heck we had a rumour about spawning options, easy

that kinda really leaves the bio-bombs, warriors nodes and artillery slates....

Not saying that was the goal, GW has written bad nid books before, but if the trend does continue I'd say thats where it started.

as to supplements, well I've thought they should bring those back since 4th, really livens up the release scehdule slipping those in between full books.
    Last edited by daboarder; 03-17-2014 at 01:44 PM.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Haven't read it yet to be honest.

But the main difference is that those 1-5 Lictors, and their perks, don't go scoffing up your other Elite slots, which has been a common issue with the last couple of Nids books, namely certain units which are by no means all that bad, being overlooked in favour of their slot stable mates which are just that little bit better.

For instance, by the time I'd taken my Venomthropes (essential!), Hiveguard (what's not to like!) and Zoathropes (EAT MIND BULLETS!)....oh....right...erm.....Troops section? (previous book, sold army a while back). But now, I can have my Lictors, and my Hiveguard, and my Venomthropes, and my Zoanthropes. Points allowing!

It's arguably giving those 'close but no cigar' units a second innings, and as your opponent, more variety for meeeeeeeeeeeeee! (which I am obviously in favour of!)

But the main difference is that those 1-5 Lictors, and their perks, don't go scoffing up your other Elite slots, which has been a common issue with the last couple of Nids books, namely certain units which are by no means all that bad, being overlooked in favour of their slot stable mates which are just that little bit better.
    With all this Formations and Datalates around I would not be overly surprised if the FOC gets deleted in a rumored "not 7th edition" anyways. While im OK-ish with dataslates fixing codex issues (tyranids patched them surprisingly well), the formations really bother me to a certain extent as they are making armis with available formations not only ignore FOC but also rewarding them for doing so.

Librarian

I look at them this way they are a luxury part of the game. their legal for all regular games and for that i am thankful. If you told me I had to face the same boring spam list over and over again or i could fight a list that has some suppliment love and maybe a data slate I will take on that challenge any and every time. Even books liek inquisition which i thought could have been done better open up some serious options. sure they are slate and suppliments that are better then the other's it's going to happen. but for me its well worth it. I know that when i face an opponent it will actually be different each and every time. it rewards diversity.

Once everyone has one, it will be less of an issue I'd imagine. Certainly would for me!

It can be a bit rubbish as a Necron player, as I have to wait for my shiny new toys!

Librarian

Once everyone has one, it will be less of an issue I'd imagine. Certainly would for me!

It can be a bit rubbish as a Necron player, as I have to wait for my shiny new toys!
    I do kinda feel bad for Necron, Grey Knights, and Dark Eldar. You guys waited a long time for your Codexes, and they came out and were awesome for a brief flash, then 6th came around and everyone started getting these hardbacks and supplements and stuff...

But then, it makes me excited for those players too, especially Necron and Dark Eldar. I'd love to see both those armies get some sort of psuedo-superheavy or fortification!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast