BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Chaplain

Default New Necrons- thoughts, hopes and rumours

alright this thread will work by disscussing what we want, hope or think will be happening in the 5th ed necron codex. So wishlisting is allowed!
    Anyway to start off, I heard a rumour about a necron walker called the scorpion. It'll basically be like a SM Dread but have plenty of necronny features. I also heard a little something about a gauss flamer!
    Fell free to argue with these rumours.

Librarian

There's plenty of things I want to see, mostly they're evolutions rather than sweeping rewrites though.

I'm not a fan of the FnP / T5 instead of WBB idea, that to me just says play plaguemarines, I'd much rather see an update to the WBB rules to streamline them. Tomb Spyders need to be more like res orbs and the current res orb needs to be tweaked in some way.

I'd like to see a walker of some sort and perhaps another vehicle that's either shooty or transporty by which I mean has a similar teleport mechanic to the monolith. Teleportation is one of the best things about the current book and it should stay in a big way imo.

Remove the non-necron rule. Anything in the book is a necron and can self repair or get back up or whatever the rule mechanic becomes. Pariahs are a great idea but need some work to be really useful.

Remove C'tan and put them in as 2k points models for apocalypse, I'm thinking forgeworld greater daemon style models for them The rumour about different lord levels is really appealing. Give them the ability to make different kinds of unit troops. Give wraiths power weapons and either 2 wounds or larger unit sizes and they're actually useful for killing things.

Update the Gauss mechanic somehow... free glances on 6's just aren't that good anymore since vehicles got updated, they were scary in 4th as they should be. It's difficult to balance this without making them too good, perhaps they just suffer a -1 rather than a -2 on a glance?

Rebalance the points costs of models against the 5th ed books. Are warriors really worth 18 points each now? I'd guess at somewhere around 15 is more sensible nowadays.

hmm... that's all I can think of off the top of my head although there's plenty more things
    Cats and Dogs are better than kids because they eat less, don't ask for money and if they get pregnant you can sell their children.

Librarian

The new codex will have a number of tank options:
    - Necron Monolith
    - Necron 'Obelisk' (see BoLS 2008 or summin?)
    - Necron Pylon
    - The Aeonic Orb (off of Epic)
    - The Harbringer of Pain (off of Epic)

There will be 4 levels of Necron Lord...
    - Platinum Lord: Perhaps takes C'Tan forms, and gives leadership bonuses to the force
    - Golden Lord: Current Lord with BS/WS buffs. Harbringer abilities, just like in the datasheets?
    - Silver Lord: Squad Leader for the better squads (e.g Pariahs)
    - Bronze Lord: Necron Lord squad leader.

I bet there will be options to allow for the classic exploding Scarabs from 3rd Ed, and maybe a new troop choice - something like 'Tomb Guard' who take formation to protect an attached lord.

Literally all of the units will get a point decrease, +1 to their Initiative (excluding Immortals, who stay at 2 but gain T 5), and maybe some firing bonuses.

Gauss is definitely becoming higher strength + Rending. However, apparently some of the weaponry becomes Lance.

I think i've got a few ideas for weaponry:
    Gauss Flux Arc: 18", Str 5 AP 4, Heavy d6, all units, Rending
    Thunder Arc: 18", Str 4 AP 5, Heavy 5, Melta, all units
    Pulse Flux Arc: Template, Str 4 AP 5, Heavy d6, all units
    Gauss Annihilator (Focussed): 84", Str 9 AP d6, Heavy 10, Rending
    Gauss Annihilator (Dispersed): 96", Str 6 AP d6, Heavy 7, Blast, Barrage, Rending, Min range 12", scatter each off previous blast in the chain...
    Last edited by Herald of Nurgle; 12-31-2009 at 02:48 AM.
    Back after a few years absence. Please PM me any changes to how the forum works - I currently have no idea how to make line breaks, and this is quite important to me. >.>

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Herald of Nurgle View Post

I bet there will be options to allow for the classic exploding Scarabs from 3rd Ed, and maybe a new troop choice - something like 'Tomb Guard' who take formation to protect an attached lord.

Literally all of the units will get a point decrease, +1 to their Initiative (excluding Immortals, who stay at 2 but gain T 5), and maybe some firing bonuses.

Gauss is definitely becoming higher strength + Rending. However, apparently some of the weaponry becomes Lance.
    The 'Tomb Guard' idea sounds interesting... some sort of pariah but good type unit would be nice

Do you mean Warriors in that middle sentence as Immortals are already T5?

Lance makes a lot of sense for Necron weapons now that you mention it, that would be good to see.
    Cats and Dogs are better than kids because they eat less, don't ask for money and if they get pregnant you can sell their children.

Librarian

Platinum
    Harbringers: Platinum Lords are the C’Tans will done. They may purchase Harbringer abilities from the list below, as well as those that a Golden Lord may purchase:
    · Harbringer of Insanity: Each turn, the Lord may select a single unit in Line of Sight. That unit must make a Leadership Check, with a -1 modifier for each wound the Lord has remaining. For each point that the unit fails by, they must make a single roll under their toughness or be removed from play. Fearless units are immune.
    · Harbringer of Decadence: At the beginning of each game turn, the Lord may select any model with the Psyker rule on board. Each controlling player then rolls a dice, and adds their Leaderships to this dice. If the Platinum Lord equals or beats this roll, then the Necron Player may take control of this psyker for this turn – the Necron player counts it as one of their models, claiming all the benefits and drawbacks of such.
    · Harbringer of the End Times: Each turn, the Lord may select a single Necron unit in Line of Sight. For this turn, that unit may double it's BS, as well as gaining +2 Strength for their weaponry. At the end of that turn, the same Necron unit affected by this ability make 1 armour save for each 2 models in the unit.

Golden
    Harbringers: Golden Lords are often Harbingers of destruction. They may purchase Harbringer abilities from the list below, as well as those that a Silver Lord may purchase:
    · Harbringer of Lightning: Each turn, the Lord may place d3 Large Blast markers on the field each turn. All models under these markers must FAIL an armour save, or else they take a Strength 4 hit and may not make any actions this game turn as they recover from this paralysis.
    · Harbringer of Darkness: Each turn, the Lord may select a single point on the table. All shooting declared against a unit within or declared by a unit within 18” of this point will use the Night Fighting special rules. Necron units do not need to use this effect – conduct their shooting normally.
    · Harbringer of Plague: Each turn, the Lord may select a single point on the table, roll an artillery dice, and roll a scatter dice (on a misfire, nothing happens). Each model between that point and the Necron Lord must take a Leadership Check or else take d3 Strength 3 AP 6 hits. Fearless units are not immune.

Silver
    Harbringers: Silver Lords are usually seen as portents of bad events. They may purchase Harbringer abilities from the list below:
    · Harbringer of Infestation: Each turn, the Lord may place a single Large Blast Marker within 6”. Within this marker, place up to d6+1 Scarab Swarms (these must at least be touching the marker). Swarms placed this way may not make any further actions that turn.
    · Harbringer of Eruptions: At the beginning of the game, select a single objective (or objective sized area). Each friendly Shooting Phase, the Lord may roll 2d6 – each unit that many inches from the area chosen will take 3 Strength 5 AP 5 hits immediately.
    · Harbringer of Madness: Each friendly Assault Phase, the Lord may choose to remove his unit from the board. Immediately deep strike them back onto the board – if they mishap, they are immediately placed back into Reserves.

Bronze
    Harbringers: Bronze Lords once glimmers with the fires of command and duty. They may purchase Harbriner abilities from the list below:
    · Harbringer of Idols: The unit that this Bronze Lord has joined becomes Fearless, instead of just Stubborn. However, the unit does not suffer from No Retreat!
    · Harbringer of the Fire: The unit that this Bronze Lord has joined also gains the Acute Senses and Relentless special rules.
    · Harbringer of Demise: The unit that this Bronze Lord has joined will also gain +1 Strength and +1 Initiative. In addition, they gain the Counter Attack special rule.
    Last edited by Herald of Nurgle; 12-31-2009 at 02:51 AM.
    Back after a few years absence. Please PM me any changes to how the forum works - I currently have no idea how to make line breaks, and this is quite important to me. >.>

Chaplain

Recentley I found things on the Lord of Awakening and the Lord of the Storm and C'tan lord
    Lord of awakening would be a normal infantry style lord
    Lord of the storm would be a lord with destroyer or wraith body
    C'tan lord would be the C'tan styles models now
    Each of these lords would of course have different advantages to the army and this is probably what was meant about the different levels of necron lord.
    Master Bryss and I build conversions IN A SHED. WITH CLIPPERS N' GLUE!
    Hi, I'm Titans newest recruit. PREPARE TO BE PURGED!!!

Chapter-Master

I want to see more fluffy units, necrons with malfunctioning living-metal that have a kind of "cyber shoggoth" look, some wraith variants.. basicly I want more emphasis on the "Techno-Lovecraft".

I like techno-lovecraft.
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

i'd love to see like necron tripod things, like from war of the worlds that would be immense, or some kind of really alien skimmer like the valkerie but necron and awesome lol

I wana see a Warrior stat drop!

I mean the things are like barely sentient quardrilion year old space zombie robots for cryin out loud. No way the things shoot and fight as well as a Space Marine!

Drop the WS for the warriors defentaly. Drop the BS potentialy. Make them all slow and pourposeful maybe. Let me field a swarm of the suckers!

Oh and give my Spyders an extra wound and no ability to hurt themselves please.

Chaplain

PLASTIC FLAYED ONES!!! ARRRRGGGHHHHHH!!!!

Now that that's over, I'll have to agree with the keeping "we'll be back" over FNP/SAP combo. I don't like the idea of GW homogenizing all the armies, which is why I'm also down with a stat drop for Warriors.

BS 4? Makes perfect sense. They would have supernaturally good aim.
    WS 4? No freakin' way.

More versatility for HQ, plasticified models, and one walker. That's pretty much all I want
    Oh, and

PLASTIC FLAYED ONES!!! ARRRRGGGHHHHHH!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ZenPaladin View Post
    No way the things shoot and fight as well as a Space Marine!
    They would shoot better than a Space Marine! They are untainted by the frailties of organic matter! No emotions! No distractions! True purification! They are mindless, yes, but they are also free from the confines of having a mind!

They are built to have good aim.
    Last edited by Subject Keyword; 12-30-2009 at 08:39 PM.
    Goodbye Bols!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast