BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: Can we... Do It Ourselves?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Could we, Should we... Lets do it!

10 27.78%
  • Nope... not a hope in wossname

16 44.44%
  • Frankly, I don't give a damn...

10 27.78%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Writing rules and balancing is a learning process. Its also a steady process where you have to actively listen, play, adapt and rethink.
    We have the means for a living rulebook and living codices.
    GW is not interested. They plan their books according to marketing stategies and have a tendency to break their own ruleset at a certain point which makes older codices (who obey said ruleset) less fun and more binary.

You maybe want to listen to this:

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e31OSVZF77w&list=TL9eBelUEBkDUnoo6c127TYyk uML9SBDMB[/url]
    [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxszx60ZwGw&list=TLQVdvgb_uk8iugfn0nY_SrdA wPgRtz7N5[/url]

to get a better idea of game design

Chapter-Master

Do the current rules allow me to have fun with another like-minded individual set upon enjoying a few hours of plastic toy soldiers?

Yes?

No need for any more mucking about.
    What if the answer is no? It might be yes for you, but there are a lot of people for whom it isn't.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    What if the answer is no? It might be yes for you, but there are a lot of people for whom it isn't.
    Then, perhaps ask yourself this

What is causing you not to have fun. The people you play with or the rules?
    40k- Chaos Space marines - Chaos Daemons - WM/H - Khador - Cygnar - Dystopian wars - EotBS

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Chaoschrist View Post

A complete lack of options, particularly ones that would enable me to play a faction as it is described in the background material

as for the question, its entirely possible. Look at necromunda
    Last edited by daboarder; 03-20-2014 at 07:34 PM.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Chapter-Master

Given the context it should be blatantly obvious that I'm referring to people who aren't having as much fun anymore because of poor quality rules.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chaplain

I don't think the community taking the time to come up with a consensus rule set is likely to be either productive or effective.

I do think sharing house rules that you use with the community is a positive thing, as others in the community may like your ideas to use as a house rule of their own, or it may inspire them with rules to use in narrative campaign play for example.

The rulebook is a framework that the players are free to take apart however they choose so long as they are mutually agreeable.

Does this help a Tournament or rules centric play setting? Nope but Tournament organizers are welcome to do the same thing for the sake of balance if they so choose.

Librarian

I've had similar ideas recently; for all the furor over 6th Edition's radical changes, there's a lot of good there. Cut out or massage those parts that are causing the problems, and you'd have a hell of a thing to be playing. Of course, you've got to get enough people to agree to which components are the problem, and which solutions are acceptable. It'd be a tough road, but one that might well be worth the trouble.

Chapter-Master

The community isn't going to be able to effectively enact any change directly. They can call for change, but anarchy isn't going to actually get anything done. If the world's TO's step up and start communicating, though, something could come of that. There already is a standardized FAQ in the USA. That said, most TOs are really only concerned with their own event, so getting them all on the same page for an FAQ is tough, let alone game-changing house rules.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    The community isn't going to be able to effectively enact any change directly. They can call for change, but anarchy isn't going to actually get anything done. If the world's TO's step up and start communicating, though, something could come of that. There already is a standardized FAQ in the USA. That said, most TOs are really only concerned with their own event, so getting them all on the same page for an FAQ is tough, let alone game-changing house rules.
    My understanding of the way it worked with necromunda was that a group of gamers (o's or whatever) just wrote in teh sensible changes. Mostly its nothing radical, things like addressing issues that need an FAQ with common sense, adding things that we're lost and removing the obscenities.

then you just promote it, use it and offer it up for others to use, stop playing with the old broken version all together and let example be your way.

it happens with DnD, I fail to see why the 40k community would be any different.

Would really be giving the finger to GW if they lost a significant portion of control over their own rules to the player bases version.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Librarian

I wouldn't be concerned with tournament organizers myself - they're too conservative a bunch. Some might come around to an idea like this, but it took the shock of 6th Edition's expansion and vast imbalance to get them even thinking about restricting or otherwise changing the basic dictates from GW. One could have amended a huge number of 5th Edition's tournament issues with a few well-placed sentences in an errata, but I never heard of a single event organizer who ever bothered.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast