BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default Telling your opponent what army you will use?

Hi all,

With lots of dataslates, formation, escalation, inquisition and other supplement codex, I wonder that if there is any rule or guideline to tell your opponent what army or any special detachment you will use for a friendly game at local club before creating the army list and point agreement?

Thanks

You should tell them at least every book you're using I'd say, eg: Imperial Guard with an Inquisitorial Detachment and Space Marined Allies

Chaplain

Seeing your Forum name reminded me of when Lars was on "Celebrity Who Wants To Be A Millionaire"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	St. Anger.jpg 
Views:	369 
Size:	12.6 KB 
ID:	7931

points limit; and tournament option; unless we are playing a theme; then list options are modded; eg; all fast attack count as troops/no heavy support no walkers[unless jump capable]

best fun we ever have is 'bikes only lists'

Chaplain

I consider it a courtesy to tell my opponent what general type of army I'm bringing (i.e. 2000 point Death Guard, or 1850 point Biel-Tan Swordwind, etc.) if we're pre-arranging a game, and so far I've been fortunate - they don't seem to take specific counters. I usually end up playing pick-up games where it doesn't come up in the first place, though.

Brother-Sergeant

Personally, I'd just ask my opponent that very question first. There are people who like a surprise, and those who don't.
    Anuvver triumph uv orky know-wotz!

Chapter-Master

I think this is a common courtesy, needed now more than ever in these varied days. One friend's group have 3 levels of game, which they agree on prior to a pre-arranged: Level 1 - no holds barred, escalation, dataslates, stronghold, FW. Level 2 - as above but no D or VSG. Level 3 - codex only.

Once they call a level, anything within those restrictions is fine.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Depends on what we agreed to. Like Denzark said. Can vary from many levels like "no SC, Allies, Escalation, Stronhold,..." to "come at me bro!"

one person in my group fields clan raukaan occasionally and when he does he tells people before hand because most people in our group don't make lists prepared to face all the heavy armor he puts into the list, he's done pretty well on his win loss even with telling people, and when i field my Iyanden list i let people know for the same reason and still do pretty well.

Our group is also pretty good at not writing list specially around beating the list we are given, we just sub in different things like my to give everyone a fighting chance.

Chaplain

My group always arranges games and sets the Armies the players are going to use in advance. But we don't say what is on the list. We started insisting that you show up with your list ready as we had a few who would wait until everyone shows up and then they would tailor their list.

That said, what does the fluff say about intelligence? Do the 40K armies know what they facing and how the enemy army is structured?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast