BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by Jwolf View Post
    I've not been able to find any, Culven. I suppose that means I'm stuck with a Basket applying to my guys, whereas my opponents have the Satelite, if they so choose.

"They cannot, however, join vehicle squadrons (see the vehicles section) and units that always consists of a single model (like most vehicles and monstrous creatures), except that they can join other independent characters to form a powerful multi-character unit!"

That's from independant characters joining and leaving units box, and because of what else is in that section, that they can only be moved out of a unit during the movement phase meant that until they have a movement phase they are stuck in CC as a squad.

Wolfshade - the question is if two or more ICs join a unit, are they a unit after the parent unit is destroyed. I think no, Culven thinks yes, and we have only our opinions, no rule stating which is the case. We all agree that ICs can join one another, but we don't have anything telling us that they remain a unit after the parent unit is destroyed.

I'll grant, outside of Apocalypse, this is an exceptionally rare circumstance. And it's even more unlikely that the parent unit would be destroyed in close combat, the ICs survive, and one IC be too far away to consolidate into BtB after the end of the round. So the answer is not terribly important, just more of an entertainment to ponder.
    Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless, and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful. - Nathanael Greene

Brother-Captain

Since this isn't a common occurance for IG, I can't fully comment on this specific situation - however I would tend to think that 2 IC could NOT join each other, but that's more of a leftover from playing fantasy where they can not, and should their unit be wiped out would indeed become two different units.
    DWs: Prussains. KoW: Elves WM: Khador WHFB: Dwarves WH40: IG, SM
    Games-workshop: changing the rules one new codex/army book at a time.

Occuli Imperator

I think that there is an over complication with this "parent unit" wording since they join the unit and become the unit move with the unit take wounds from shooting with the unit, therefore while they are alive they are still the unit untill they can move out of it as per the independant character joining/leaving squad rules in the movement phase. It is counter-intuative to read it the way that I and others have done but this point of view hangs on how the ICs have to move to leave a unit and that is only in the movement phase.

Since this happened in a game I was playing it was important as if they weren't part of the squad then they wouldn't be locked in combat and so could either make a tactical withdrawl from overwhelming odds or assault them and so get the bonuses from charging into combat.

Oh, they were in the combat at the start, so they would have to try to get into BtB after the round of combat. If after both sides piled-in, any ICs were left out of BtB, then we'd have an issue. But if the unit is wiped out and they could pile-in, they would do so.
    Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless, and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful. - Nathanael Greene

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123