BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by YorkNecromancer View Post
    This article (bit sweary) contains basically all the details of the history of 1st edition female space marines: [url]http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Female_Space_Marines[/url]
    Dude? 1D4chan? Not a creadable source BUT even that one backs me up

Sometimes it is pointed out that back in the Rogue Trader days, Games Workshop did briefly produce two power-armoured female models, but they were changed to "Female Adventurers in Power Armour" and were never meant to represent female Marines.
    Look I don't care if you want to make female space marines for what ever reasons, creepy or otherwise. Just don't lie about thei canon status historically or otherwise.

But to be honest I like that there are things only guys can do and that there are thing only girls can do in 40K. When a setting is to idealistic it doesn't ring true with me.

Space Marines a re Sci Fi Warrior Monks in the same way the Soritas are Sci Warrior Nuns, the gender split fits thematically to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by John Bower View Post
    There actually was a pic posted as proof in just such a debate, and they were listed as 'Female Space Marine' 1 & 2 but it's going to take time to find that again.
    Of course it will forgeries take plenty of time. The Pic I Posted was the Original, there is no other.

Seriously if this is a genuine picture why is it not on Stuff of legends or an other reputable Citadel Collecting site?

Quote Originally Posted by John Bower View Post
    I don't know if they changed the packaging come 2nd ed though. But somebody did a review of 1st ed, and he pointed out the fact that Space Marines were not geneboosted ignoramouses they became later. (for ignoramous see; does what the Imperium says without thought for own safety or question of right or wrong).
    Space Marines changed from Dudes in Power armour to what they are today in the First Compendium or earlier. I don't think those minis were out before that point.

You have stated that you don't care much for the background and its pretty evident from all the errors you've been making you've not actually read much of it.
    Last edited by Lord-Boofhead; 04-13-2014 at 06:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    Knights: Mixed
    Actually they are restricted to the first and 2nd sons of the Nobility so Sexistt AND Classist :P

It seems pretty clear that there could be female Space Marines. One thing seems pretty certain about this 40K universe: there is more unknown out there than known... more things have been forgotten than are remembered. GW has always made it clear that the universe is ours to do with as we will and it is up to us to uncover (make up) bits of the universe.

Many of us have created Chapters of our own with backstories of our own devising. It's far from a big stretch to have a heretofore unknown Chapter of FSMs show up on a battlefield. Again, I fall back on the idea that this is a universe full of unknowns and unreliable narrators.

Lastly, I think it's fun to thumb the nose at any overgrown man-child who would look at such a Chapter and say, "Well, THAT can't happen!" Really? THAT is where the willing suspension of disbelief evaporates? Hmmmmm... Go FSMs!
    Looking for a game in the San Antonio area? You can find me here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/175757472448931/

Plus, all joking apart.

Warp Travel. Why couldn't that genderswap people? It can age you in either direction.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Plus, all joking apart.

Warp Travel. Why couldn't that genderswap people? It can age you in either direction.
    Warp exposure certainly can, Slaanesh is rather fond of that kind of thing. I doubt the inquisition would be all that happy though.

That generally sums up my thoughts on Female space marines actually. I hate flat retcons, GW saying "oh, by the way there were female space marines all along. Ignore all that old fluff" would be bad and any of the in universe ways to create new female space marines like warp exposure or tampering with astartes gean seed would likely result in a swift inquisitorial visit. Besides that the only character established to have any expertise is Fabius Bile and I doubt anything he produced would be accepted into the Imperium.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Copeland View Post
    It seems pretty clear that there could be female Space Marines. One thing seems pretty certain about this 40K universe: there is more unknown out there than known... more things have been forgotten than are remembered. GW has always made it clear that the universe is ours to do with as we will and it is up to us to uncover (make up) bits of the universe.

Many of us have created Chapters of our own with backstories of our own devising. It's far from a big stretch to have a heretofore unknown Chapter of FSMs show up on a battlefield. Again, I fall back on the idea that this is a universe full of unknowns and unreliable narrators.

Lastly, I think it's fun to thumb the nose at any overgrown man-child who would look at such a Chapter and say, "Well, THAT can't happen!" Really? THAT is where the willing suspension of disbelief evaporates? Hmmmmm... Go FSMs!

The lore doesn't support your case. That being said, anyone should be free to field a customized force if the opponents/tournament organizer allows it. Although you open yourself up to criticism when people see your female Astartes, and shake their heads in disappointment. You also set aside any reason to take offense when that happens.

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by m3g4tr0n View Post
    That being said, anyone should be free to field a customized force if the opponents/tournament organizer allows it. Although you open yourself up to criticism when people see your female Astartes, and shake their heads in disappointment. You also set aside any reason to take offense when that happens.
    There have been a fair number of cases where I have seen a conversion or heard a back story and have rolled my eyes and had to bite my tongue. However, in a gaming situation, I'm not going to not play someone because they field female Space Marines as, at the end of the day, it doesn't make a blind bit of difference to the actual game play. I might think a thing or two about the fluff, but I won't necessarily say it.

Quote Originally Posted by m3g4tr0n View Post
    The lore doesn't support your case. That being said, anyone should be free to field a customized force if the opponents/tournament organizer allows it. Although you open yourself up to criticism when people see your female Astartes, and shake their heads in disappointment. You also set aside any reason to take offense when that happens.
    I've shaken my head at many conversions, never anything female, more often men going over the top with blood and gore

Brother-Captain

That 1D4 Chan article has reminded me that there has indeed already been a female CSM(ish) in the current fluff, the inestimably badass Larana Utorian.
    So between that and CSM mutations I'd say that vanilla marines are our only "male only" marines. And if Larana can do it for chaos..........
    Wolfman of the Horsepack of Derailment
    The artist formerly known as "WTF you can't say that!"

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptain Badrukk View Post
    That 1D4 Chan article has reminded me that there has indeed already been a female CSM(ish) in the current fluff, the inestimably badass Larana Utorian.
    So between that and CSM mutations I'd say that vanilla marines are our only "male only" marines. And if Larana can do it for chaos..........
    Yes, she's CSMish. She's a daemon-possessed woman with power armour. She resembles a Space Marine, but isn't a Space Marine. Just like Sisters of Battle are like Space Marines, just without all the genetic modificiations.

Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast