BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

The reason for this lets take a step back in the past in human past time where males are dominate and women was not no this is not a sexist attack this is just how history Is and was. There are other reason a female was not allowed to go to war due to distraction of seeing the opposite sex being killed outright could be more horrifying then someone of the same sex and the horrors of a woman being captured that. Or most men back then justified there manliness by saying woman are weak and such this could be the very reason women are not allowed to be space marines hence look at IG no real speaking of female IG as they are all male even in the fluff there is very little on female IG command and such.
    Wrong, firstly women are the protected sex while men are the disposable sex. Men are disposable because sperm, when compared to eggs, is cheap. A man could, in theory, quite easily impregnate a hundred different women in as many days, whereas a woman could only end up being impregnated the once in that same time period. As such our species has ever taken the death of large numbers of women more seriously than the death of large numbers of men - a shortage of men merely requires men to take on more sexual partners in order to re-populate the species whereas a shortage of women is where we start looking at the decline of our civilisation, or to put it another way, men are easily replaceable, women are not. That's why whenever a women is in pain everyone rushes about to do something about it, whereas when a man is in pain he's told to Man Up and stop whining.
    So it makes sense that if becoming a Space Marine sterilizes the recruit, that you limit it to men.

Secondly women ARE physically weak in comparison to men (in general biological terms, I imagine Jodie Marsh could quite easily kick a stick-thin emo boy's arse even if he fought back with all his strength rather than holding back and taking it because it 'isn't right to hit a girl') - have you not noticed that even the Olympics to this day still maintain separate men's and women's events? Do you think women athletes would appreciate you campaigning to eliminate this 'sexism' and thus making their chances of picking up some Golds (or even being picked for the national teams) a remote possibility? Did you know that the required fitness levels for women in their early 20's joining the US army is the same for male Army pen-pushers in their 50's? They had to be reduced in order to let more women in, which is, as far as I'm concerned, an insult to those women that could match their male peer's physical requirements* and a deliberate policy of putting weak links in soldiers lines of support.
    So again, if part of the Space Marine process involves massively bulking up on muscle, it makes sense to restrict it to the gender that is more prone to putting muscle on in the first place.

*And 40K's version of these sort of women is the Adepta Sororitas, who are usually described as being hard as nails even when out of their power armour.

Wow, we've gone from an interesting debate on Space Marines to misogynist gender essentialist bull**** in less than two pages.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

I want female space marines because:

1.) I want to encourage female gamers to come to the school games club.
    2.) I like conversions. Not having female marine heads restricts my conversion potential.
    3.) That's it.

I'm just going to leave these things here. They peripherally link to the topic at hand. Especially the video.

[url]http://www.gamespot.com/articles/fear-of-a-woman-warrior/1100-6404142/[/url]
    [url]http://groupthink.jezebel.com/every-misogynistic-argument-youve-ever-heard-about-vid-756662565[/url]
    [url]http://io9.com/the-long-list-of-successful-action-movies-starring-wome-1298632309[/url]
    [url]http://io9.com/what-kind-of-armor-did-medieval-women-really-wear-1502779338[/url]
    [url]http://www.theguardian.com/technology/commentisfree/2014/feb/19/video-games-need-more-women-female-characters?CMP=twt_gu[/url]

Read them or don't, see the connections or don't, it's up to you. Just like the racists of the 50's, the misogynists of the 2010's are on the wrong side of history, which is never a good place to be.

Sisters are in desperate need of an update and could stand to have the fetish elements toned down slightly in certain areas ( no more pointy armoured bras and repentia...)
    [url]www.tor.com/blogs/2013/05/boob-plate-armor-would-kill-you[/url]

Oh, how we have discussed this in The Oubliette.
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

Chapter-Master

I love female armour bingo, but all the cards are the same so we always all win...

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

One thing that does bug me is the idea that if female Space Marines were introduced, that would somehow be bad. If your appreciation of Space Marines relies on them all to be male and having some be female would ruin it all for you I think that says a lot about how you think about women.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Occuli Imperator

Perhaps the 2 missing primarchs were women

Of course teh real question is why there are no male sisters of battle...

While obviously male, the sex for marines is functionally unimportant. I think while the basic template might be male, through the gene therapy they are in essence genderless. However, they are universally, shown in as male and use male terminology. Battle "Brothers", etc.

The other thing to consider is that if the marines are pumped full of testosterone then they would be more "manly" regardless of how they started. Consider some of the testoerone doped female shot putters for instance, they looked decidedly more "butch" and in some cases even grew beards.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post

Of course teh real question is why there are no male sisters of battle...
    Explicit ruling barring the Ecclesiarchy from having men at arms.

Occuli Imperator

So if you replaced the males arms with robotic arms it would be fine as the arms would be genderless.

SoB-Iron hands cross
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Chapter-Master

Nah, Spoiler Malcedor says he told the Big E they should have made him daughters, they'd have been less trouble. which pretty much rules that out.

- - - Updated - - -

Nah, Spoiler Malcedor says he told the Big E they should have made him daughters, they'd have been less trouble. which pretty much rules that out.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Also means malcador never had daughters
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast