BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Brother-Captain

Default Article: Collectors vs Casual vs Competitive

You can view the page at [url=http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/content.php?387-Collectors-vs-Casual-vs-Competitive]http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/content.php?387-Collectors-vs-Casual-vs-Competitive[/url]
    Wolfman of the Horsepack of Derailment
    The artist formerly known as "WTF you can't say that!"

Chapter-Master

I would be cautious about a couple of your points. This was an observational study with a small, biased sample. In particular, I noticed that a lot of the collectors mentioned that they would like to play, but didn't have anyone to play with simply due to geological location. I also think I worded the casual vs. competitive answers poorly, as the line between the two is very blurry. A lot of "casual" players may attend tournaments as a means of getting in games, but consider themselves casual rather than competitive because they're not playing specifically to win all the prizes even though they do play in tournaments. After seeing the initial responses, I immediately had a couple of follow-up questions that I might open a poll on at a later date.Also, quite contrary to the idea that GW should ignore what you refer to as the vocal minority, what I saw was that about 50% of players are just that: players. Since GW produces rules and makes quite a bit of profit off of them, and since a significant portion of their customer base makes regular use of those rules, there's a clear reason to utilize those rules to expand their market to people they either don't engage, or don't fully engage, with their current "we're just a model company strategy".