BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: If a nearby gaming store held and event, assuming you had the time would you...

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stay at home, I only collect 40k

3 2.97%
  • Stay at home, I prefer to play with my close group of friends

23 22.77%
  • Attend, but only if it is a casual, laid back event such as a narrative game or apocalypse battle

35 34.65%
  • Attend, regardless of whether it's a tournament or narrative event

33 32.67%
  • Attend, only if it's a tournament

3 2.97%
  • I'm not sure if I would attend or not

4 3.96%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Eh.. I'm not into the competitive scene anymore. WAAC players have soured this experience for me. Narrative events are a firm maybe. Gaming is typically done at home with family and friends these days... keep it mellow.. I don't need any more certificates, trophies, pats on the ***, or whatever. If anything were to lure me form my man-cave it would likely be a more casual event, especially if recommended by a friend.

For 40k in particular.. there is absolutely no way I'd go near anything with this.. WAAC + current rules + supplement deluge = too much BS insanity.

Librarian

I would argue that the deluge of rules and options is the best thing this game has seen in decades. While many moan and begrudge all of the rules releases they always forget there is no one making you buy any of these suppliment or data slates to play. They simply offer you vatiety to put it simply. I like the fact that there's so many variations that you honestly can see interesting list combination and different match ups. And yes the waac will always be waac they will always strive to break the game. that is a part of 4k culture. But when you step back and take off your blinders/Turn off your rage vision then perhaprs you will see that you now have access to some of the most dynamic forces since the beginning of the game. You can go down to your local on game night and if you were able to play 10 games each army has the potential to be completely different even using the same codocies. It really is a great time to play 40k. Then again hater's gonna hate Nerds gonna rage so why bother typing all of this.
    unfiltered since 85. Don't like me tell some one who cares

Quote Originally Posted by SON OF ROMULOUS View Post
    I would argue that the deluge of rules and options is the best thing this game has seen in decades. While many moan and begrudge all of the rules releases they always forget there is no one making you buy any of these suppliment or data slates to play. They simply offer you vatiety to put it simply. I like the fact that there's so many variations that you honestly can see interesting list combination and different match ups.
    I so totally agree with you. The problem is the rule set clashes with itself so much that it comes across as though it hasn't been thought out. And with all of these little $5 supplements, it feels like highway robbery, especially when you look at the inflated cost of a model kit compared to what it used to be. Baneblades are the most obvious.

Anyhow, GW created a culture where it behooved you to buy each new 'Dex lest you be surprised at a tournament (going back to when I actually went to GW sanctioned/put on tournaments), so I have that ingrained urge to OWN EVERYTHING.

But Mike Lawler hit the nail on the head, I try to avoid WAAC tournys and would prefer to have a round robin with no prize and maybe a keg. But you can't do that at an FLGS, can you?

Brother-Sergeant

I use to play regularly at my LFGS but it's not the same anymore with out the old gang , that and my work schedule just does not mesh well with warhammer now a days .
    But there is hope ,am moving to an apartment complex with a common room meaning i may be able to host games during the week end.

Librarian

Dunno how to respond to that one i mean it all depends on the tournament scene near you. Some times i think it is interesteing to see where you stand up againts those guys. with the way the meta changes from local to local all the tools who rely on the interwebs for their lists can really screw themselves. I look at it this way the new hotness thats floating around on bols may be 6 months old on the west coast. What we think is uber broken here could be childs play out in california. As for the truly WAAC well then the way to fix that is through the missions. Seriously the game can be fixed through mission. Most of the major Tournament's have begun to do this and will continue to do this. You want to fix 40k then fix the missions. Once you do this even the WAACers will be screwed. oh wait you have a giant death star unit and 2 troops? or oh wait you took 4 riptides and 2 small 6 man squads in devil fish... oh wait your jetbikes only gained you 2 pts becuase cumulative points and my bloob squad held the objective for the previous 5 turns... There are solutions to the problems missions is the best way to fix alot of the broken shennanigans... you need more troops to score. oh this is the big guns never tire oh wait did you read the rules your scoring your not a denial unit.. there are solutions to curb that guy and his list. Allies are one way fortifications another data slates even more so.
    unfiltered since 85. Don't like me tell some one who cares

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12