BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: If a nearby gaming store held and event, assuming you had the time would you...

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stay at home, I only collect 40k

3 2.97%
  • Stay at home, I prefer to play with my close group of friends

23 22.77%
  • Attend, but only if it is a casual, laid back event such as a narrative game or apocalypse battle

35 34.65%
  • Attend, regardless of whether it's a tournament or narrative event

33 32.67%
  • Attend, only if it's a tournament

3 2.97%
  • I'm not sure if I would attend or not

4 3.96%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Default Follow up poll, competitive vs casual vs collector

The previous poll left me with a few follow up questions, based on what "category" you fell into. Since a lot of the last poll was kind of arbitrary self-defined categorization, I'll word the responses from a slightly different perspective.Edit: since stuff like comp/no comp is beyond the scope of this poll, just assume that it's whatever type of event you would prefer for a tournament. If you would attend a tournament with comp/sportsmanship, then just assume the tournament has comp. In retrospect, I should have included that in the poll, but I didn't think of splitting it up like that.
    Last edited by DarkLink; 03-29-2014 at 01:54 AM.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Brother-Sergeant

I voted only attend if it was casual, but I want to clarify it a bit.

I will (and do) attend tournaments, provided they include the other parts of the hobby. Are there comp rules? Painting scores? Sportsmanship? I'm in.

If it's just a who-wins-by-how-much event, I'll give it a miss.
    Last edited by SquigBrain; 03-28-2014 at 04:59 PM. Reason: No spel gud
    Anuvver triumph uv orky know-wotz!

I voted "not sure if I would attend or not", because it gets right down to my problem with 40k; I play once every few months. I would play probably every week if I could, but my friends just aren't up for that kind of pace, and my local game shop has some truly horrible people in it.
    Thank you for voxing the Church of Khorne, would you like to donate a skull to the Skull Throne today?

I am always gaming, so it doesn't matter if it is a tournament or a narrative event and my store always has a league plus events.

I go tournaments to get five or six games in over a weekend.

I participate in around ten tournaments a year trying to split my entries evenly between Flames of War (WW2), 40K and Napoleonic Field of Glory.

With Both Flames of War and Napoleonics I will get good competitive games where victory depends primarily on strategic/tactical skill on the table top and occasionally a bit of psychology.

With 40K I attend assuming Ill get wasted in one of the first two games then have a few good competitive games over the remainder of the weekend where tabletop skill is the deciding factor. I expect to lose to the players who have put more of their focus into selecting the most points efficient units and combinations. And who have probably spent more time on reconnaissance i.e. swotting the myriad of codices, dataslates and White Dwarf rules (oh and Forge World rules).

The possibility for these elements to dominate has been mostly eliminated from the Flames of War and Field of Glory rule sets either in play testing or by subsequent amendments.

I expect to get thumped by hyper competitive lists at a 40K tournament. I also expect to get a lot of good competitive games after that happens!

I'd attend if it's casual in nature. I like reading the more competitive battle reports and see people play more serious lists, but that kind of gaming isn't really for me.

However, my selection might be slightly influenced by my current collection of figures, the little amount of gaming I do because of lack of local stores and mostly seeing competitive lists/games (so the narrative type of game would be a nice change).
    40k- Chaos Space marines - Chaos Daemons - WM/H - Khador - Cygnar - Dystopian wars - EotBS

I would love to attend, but my army isn't anywhere near painted and I don't feel like being looked down on just because I don't have time to paint.

Librarian

I chose the "Narrative and Apoc" option not neccesarily because theyre more casual, usually just better organized timewise, Easier to know when you have to be there and when youll get in and out for the game you want than the ambiguity of 40k/WFB/WMH "Night", with job, girl, a specialized fish and an elderly dog to take care of I cant wait around to start or finish a game anymore : /

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by SquigBrain View Post
    I voted only attend if it was casual, but I want to clarify it a bit.I will (and do) attend tournaments, provided they include the other parts of the hobby. Are there comp rules? Painting scores? Sportsmanship? I'm in.If it's just a who-wins-by-how-much event, I'll give it a miss.
    Updated the OP. I didn't think to split up the tournament into comp/no comp, so just assume that the tournament is whichever you would prefer. The question of whether or not tournaments should or shouldn't have comp and the like is beyond the scope of this poll, so handwave it.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Attend, regardless of whether it's a tournament or narrative event

I'd play a tournament if it were limited and run similar to the way 4th ed worked. 40% mandatory troops, no more than 10% wargear. I miss those tournaments.

Otherwise, a map campaign with 2 games a week would be amazing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast