BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: Horus Heresy: An Actual Game, or a Prestige Buy

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Actual Game - The rules are legit!

38 69.09%
  • Prestige Buy - Lovely, but good luck finding others to play.

17 30.91%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I'm going to go with something in between; it's WH40K as they've always *wanted* it to be played; huge, epic battles, with crazy high-powered stuff kept in check mainly by fluff and a sense of sportsmanship. It's just that it would be impossible to convert regular 40k to run that way, so they decided to tackle three birds with one stone; re-tool the rules, explore this mythic period of the lore, and make all the shiny crack for the flagship faction.

When they finally get the Heresy rounded off, what they need to do is the Rhana Dandra, let the Eldar take front and center for a time (also Orks and Necrons, depending on who wants to be petty enough to take advantage of the end of everything to settle some old scores).
    Thank you for voxing the Church of Khorne, would you like to donate a skull to the Skull Throne today?

Chaplain

30k is the fluff 40k. If you play Marines is it a much better version of the game. Tons of options (more than the entire 40k line put together) and difficult to field WAAC lists.
    When you hear hoof-beats, it's best to think horses not zebras.

Quote Originally Posted by hisdudeness View Post
    30k is the fluff 40k. If you play Marines is it a much better version of the game. Tons of options (more than the entire 40k line put together) and difficult to field WAAC lists.
    Indeed.

check out this forum, seriously tons of people play: [url]http://heresy30k.invisionzone.com[/url]

on the forum people have set up COUNTRY WIDE EVENTS to play 30k.

Also you can play 30k against 40k, no reason you can't, and if someone refuses then they are being irrational.

Fly Lord

Poll added - I couldn't resist *tee-hee*
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Bigred View Post
    Poll added - I couldn't resist *tee-hee*
    Trust you Bigred...

As for My 2 pence worth.

I think that those who collect and build an army are most likely to be in it for the game, those who buy just one or two models are most likely in it for the prestige, just so they can show off their modelling/painting skills....

Neither aspect is wrong and we should be grateful that FW are producing such beautiful figures....

I just wish I could afford them at this moment in time.....

Not to mention have the room for them as well, my Space Marine company is taking most of my spare space up at the moment
    "I was there the day Horus slew the Emperor".....
    my blog http://madlapsedwargamer.blogspot.co.uk/

Brother-Captain

I'm sure many people would love to play but it's so overpriced for no reason that most can't afford to. There's no good reason for them to be that expensive. They shouldn't cost any more than the usual Tactical Marine kit. You get less stuff with nothing spare for conversions and no alternative weapons or indeed anything, it's all much more simplistic, and they cost far more. Bizarre, you would think making them a comparable cost to the usual Marine kit would get them a lot more sales, but it's not something that's going to change. Their use of resin is pretty redundant in all but a few cases by now, they could make almost all of their stuff out of plastic, certainly the HH stuff which is actually more simplistic than the 40k Space Marine stuff.

For me it's a prestige buy but I would play it if I knew anyone else with a 30k army. I do a lot of people who use the forgeworld models and parts for their regular 40k armies though

Actual game 100%. As time goes on and there appears to be no end in sight to the Taudar monopoly on winning (it's not universal but let's be serious, if 2 equally skilled gamers meet, if one has tau or eldar they'll win), more people will move towards 30k due to it's balance. Is it perfect? No. But IMO it's preferable to at least have a fighting chance before you see all those riptides and jetseers lined up opposite you.

As for specific chapters/legions, I myself have gone 30k because the C:CSM is worthless in terms of producing a Night Lords list, at least with the aesthetic that I want. I'm sure it will apply to Iron Warriors and Alpha Legion in the coming months too. The fact is, you can have a fluffy list, that is rather solid. Granted it won't stand up to the full on cheese in most cases but it's decent.

Not to mention the models are stunning. Expensive? Yes (much more than necessary tbh) but that's the way it is.

Battle-Brother

prestige buy for the sheer quality of the kits, but also useable due to the rules becoming available. I think its a part of 40k history that players have always desired to play, and now they can, plus with GW releasing some other characters/factions/units that are part of the wider 40k universe and history, theres more choice within the game now. Ive recently started collecting FW kits after many years of wanting them, and as much as i like display pieces, i love that i can use them in a game if i wish

Personnally, I've played more since last year with Legion list than with the new Space Marine codex. Just because we have the rules and already existing 40k SM armies we use to try the different Legions. Because with my friends we are all long Space Marine players, we love the 40k fluff, and playing with the original Legions is an old dream, the only thing we said to ourselves when we heard the HH gaming books was 'Hey, we surely won't have a true Legion army with the right models before long, because it's Forge World and it'll cost much, but who cares ? Let's give it a try !'

Last year 40k SM codex is very nice, but it's not that much new : just Centurions and the 2 AA tanks really are. The tactics are just a coming back of the 4th ed system to customize your army rules. But the Legions, even when you take just the vanilla list there's many new units, new weapons/equipment, and even many of the existing ones have been revamped. So for us, concerning the Horus Heresy, we have focus on the play before really thinking of representing it the real way.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast