BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Brother-Captain

That is the difference really ... the cause of this argument. Some call recasting stealing. Personally, I don't think it is. I wouldn't consider recasting any more morally reprehensible than using proxies. Either way, you're not using the "official" tinker-toy.

I also think the very notion of "IP" is simply a ploy devised by lawyers to make lawyers rich. The original concept of copyright and patent was never intended for the shennanigans it's being put to today. The original intent was solely to allow an inventor or writer to recoup his development costs, and nothing more. It was not intended to become a proverbial ball and chain to shackle the public to.
    Necron2.0 (a.k.a. me) - "I used to wrestle with inner demons. Now we just sit for tea and scones, and argue over the weather."

Librarian

I will not nor will i ever come down on a player for using a model they bought from china or russia. I would much rather play against a player who paintshis models then someone who uses counts as and grey plastic to represent every army under the sun. So if you want to use a recast the by all means please buy them and play them I will gladly play against you. And those that scorn oh well just remember we're getting in a game with painted minatures and having fun while you sit in the corner and pout because we are playing and your not.
    unfiltered since 85. Don't like me tell some one who cares

Each box set gw makes has an initial cost, a large one. This pays the designer, box art and the big one, the mould itself. This could be $50 000, $100 000, heck large kit could be $400 000.

The actual cost of the plastic, cardboard box is probably less then it cost to ship it to the shop. Everyone says they moved to finecast because metal was to expensive, I reckon I was to expensive to ship all over the world.

GW might sell a new kit for 12 months at no profit until the initial costs are payed off, then it's basically all profit. But then this profit is used to pay for the next new kit/book/support less profitable army.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Harley View Post
    Who was harmed when you buy a recast FW figure you could have never afforded the authentic version of?
    If you could never afford a legit FW figure you shouldn't be buying anything non-essential. What I think you mean is "if you have to save up and have less than what you want over a longer period of time".

There are many things in life that I cannot afford.

And like the majority of civilised persons, I don't just take it, or seek ropey knock offs. I go without.

We're not talking food nor water here. We're talking toy soldiers. None of us have a right to these things.

But hey, if you're really morally special snowflakes, to whom the law somehow doesn't apply, bully for you. You ****.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Ok so moral and legal issues aside why do people buy recasts of company's like yoymart obviously the price but what is the quality like ? because if that's rubbish surely people would not use them ?

Brother-Sergeant

Honestly, the Yoymart stuff is usually resin as opposed to Finecast and the quality is as good or sometimes better than the GW or Forge World item. I ordered the 25th Anniversary Crimson Fist piece so I could get the Standard for my CF standard bearer. 9.00 plus "insurance", free shipping and I had the standard, a Model in mk6 armor for a Sergeant and a nice base for my future Contemptor Dread. That same model goes for over 60.00 on Ebay if you can find it at all. Later, I ordered a Pedro Kantor because I couldn't find him in Metal anywhere and I didn't want to bother with the Finecast version. The Pedro Kantor had some minor issues, but nothing I couldn't resolve with a minor application of Liquid Green Stuff.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Fothergill View Post
    I've read all the posts on this thread now I've got approximately 5000 points of blood angels at home all painted and all original GW models. It has taken me the best part if 15 years to collect and paint them as money has always been an issue. Now prior to reading this post I did not know that there where places you could buy recasts of GW stuff so had never considered buying them before. I have to admit though I'm very tempted to buy some of the recasts as it makes financial sense. For some it may well be a choice of looking for cheaper recasts or be priced out of GW's games and losing out on the hobby altogether.
    If you're very unlucky customs may impound and destroy them.
    if you're unlucky customs will slap import vat/duty on them.
    And they have a nasty habit of treating the $ as the £ value so then you have to pay the courier and claim the difference back. (as I'm currently doing for tshirts ffs )

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Occuli Imperator

This has answered the OP's question.

Now I think it is time it moved elsewhere.

A pgage ago the was a comment ath GW making 13% per model, this is of course an average,s icne we don't know the costs to produce a single model.

As for wholesalers, well these don't cost GW to make the sale, they are cheaper to ship to and while the margins will be much tighter with the wholesaler you have guaranteed sales and quite high volumes that obviously makes it worth while to GW.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Quote Originally Posted by Peasant View Post

Cd's are $13..people pirate them for free if a CD dropped to $4 would those people go and buy them? No.

Quote Originally posted b yHarley
    So by your own logic you admit that GW isn't losing money from recasters because those who buy pirated copies wouldn't have bought the original anyways

Good job taking a statement out of context and only answering one of several (though mostly hypothetical) questions.
    A company always loses when someone steals their product.
    The point is that lowering prices does not generate more sales.
    Bargain shoppers always seek the bargain. If GW cut their prices in half, recasters would do the same. Those that buy the recasts will continue to do so because it is still cheaper.
    Last edited by Peasant; 04-09-2014 at 08:32 PM.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910