BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

And if we all took that approach, the designers of the game would go out of business.

Want the toys? Pay the toy maker.

I'm dead against piracy of any kind (except Arrr! pirates, who remain cool)
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

Mmm. If you can't tell when painted you can't tell. A lot of these are poorly cast. What is worse - a western capitalist business selling luxury items at high mark ups, but giving us the 40K universe - or some poxy Chinese copies thumbing their nose at our laws and stealing from our businesses?

Only you'll know in the end.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

I know a number of people who would never have started the game if they hadn't been able to get a starting army cheap by buying a few nock offs, now they buy plastic GW kits for the customization

so in that regard those are saes GW would never have had without cheaper versions.

as for myself...

the only knock offs I would consider wwere if it was a good cast of some of the old limited edition models that are OOP, in that case I've got no problem going for a recast as GW no longer produces the original.

something else to consider is personal re-casts.

For example, unless plastic sisters of battle ome out soon then a friend and I will be converting some of the metal modles to make masters and re-casting them.

This is both completely legal and morally sound.
    Last edited by daboarder; 04-02-2014 at 05:21 PM.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Chapter-Master

Some years ago I did actually consider making a mould and making my own recasts (for PERSONAL USE) of the old OOP Piscean Warrior, then converting the recasts into different poses and doing a killteam of Pisceans. I cant see the harm in something like that personally.

Chaplain

I wonder how many of those here who disdain Chinese recasts or knock offs have used non-name brand Cotton Swabs "Q-tips", or wore 4 striped "Adidas" look-a-like athletic shoes or pants. Perhaps ate store brand generic Honey O's cereal, made a phone call on a Samsung phone rather than a iPhone, or borrowed a videogame/movie from a friend and never returned it.

Not really interested in a debate about morals and piracy, but it's funny to think how thin are the glass houses we all live in everyday.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Harley View Post
    I wonder how many of those here who disdain Chinese recasts or knock offs have used non-name brand Cotton Swabs "Q-tips", or wore 4 striped "Adidas" look-a-like athletic shoes or pants. Perhaps ate store brand generic Honey O's cereal, made a phone call on a Samsung phone rather than a iPhone, or borrowed a videogame/movie from a friend and never returned it.

Not really interested in a debate about morals and piracy, but it's funny to think how thin are the glass houses we all live in everyday.
    I'm not sure that you can claim a Q-Tip is an intellectual or artistic property. And none of the items you list are an actual component-for-component copy. To me, it's a pretty obvious line.

A more valid comparison would be buying bootleg DVDs.

In the end, I just don't think it's good for the hobby overall. While I think the 3rd party companies making their own models, conversion bits, etc, just make things better.
    Anuvver triumph uv orky know-wotz!

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Well a samsung phone was ruled as an ip breach so hes got that one right...
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Don't care. The only reason knock offs even exist is because of GW's obscene prices in a lot of cases. Frankly I could care less where people want to spend their money. If they want to take a chance on wonky recasts that's up to them. JMO though...

Looking at the reviews places like Yoymart get I would have no issue with using their products. I just placed an order for a box of XV8's to see the quality and will order more based off of the quality.

I would have no issue using reproductions or my opponent using them against me. I want to play games, I couldn't give a damn.
    Last edited by Orange; 04-02-2014 at 09:24 PM.

Yeah I have an entire horus heresy army that is recast. However you can't tell the difference and I rarely tell anyone I don't know that well. There's a lot of GW purists out there who will publicly harangue you.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast