BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    There is no "average" on a single D6 roll.
    I object!
    The expected outcome (arthmetic mean or "average" if you will) is 3.5 (as you observe later), unfortunately, the probability of rolling the average value is 0...

But yes essentially I feel that 4 is the "base line", which is kinda weird that genetic super soliders are the base line measurement for everyone else...

Also, everything is conjecture until proven otherwise.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Hitting on 4+ means 50% hitchance (average for guard, shooting as well as melee in most cases)
    Ld on 7 is also spot on average

while marines on the other hand hit on a 3+ in most cases (66% hit chance)
    the 3rd edition standard marine still had ATSKNF.

The most common stat is still 3. The most common played armies are "elite" armies, but the huge majority is still at 3.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Shadow View Post
    OK so this is entirely speculative and can be taken with a pinch of salt, but....

If the fluff for Militarum Tempestus is that these guys are as solid and determined as they come.... They are subjected to years and years of psychological conditioning, are constantly assessed, intimidated, conditioned to be essentially unwavering and they get Ld drop to 7 for regular Scion troopers....

If the rules match the fluff then can we expect a drop in the Ld of regular IG units?
    It does seem odd but deinol is correct, the fluff and the 'reality' of the rules don't always match.

Banned

Yeah, all stats and mechanics are based on the avergae stat of 3 in WS/BS/S/T, always has been, thats why those stats give a 50% chance to hit and such.

Sorry daboarder, but you're wrong and being an arse about it.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by GoffWarboss View Post
    Yeah, all stats and mechanics are based on the avergae stat of 3 in WS/BS/S/T, always has been, thats why those stats give a 50% chance to hit and such.

Sorry daboarder, but you're wrong and being an arse about it.
    wrong I may be (though I am not convinced) but being an arse? sure thing buddy
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Occuli Imperator

Now, now, keep it civil and please refrain from personal insults.

[url]http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/faq.php?faq=termsmaster#faq_bolsrules[/url]
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Dragging this back on track; There is no firm evidence, or loose rumour, that the guardman statline may be changing, however personally i wouldnt overly object! I think it is in fitting with infantry squads that they would be Ld6, and 7 with a sergent. Veterns would then be equiped like a platoon trooper, but be better soldiers (ld 7 and Bs4) and these "scions" would be veteran stats however have much better armour and weaponry.

if they did this i would expect to see a drop in the cost of the infantry squad, however we have seen pictures of the infanrt squad and it is STILL priced at 50 points... so this is a little more than wishlisting/ fearmongering.
    Iron Hands fanboy since 2008.
    Iron Hands [4k], Brotherhood of Iron [1k], Sons of Medusa [500]

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post

if they did this i would expect to see a drop in the cost of the infantry squad, however we have seen pictures of the infanrt squad and it is STILL priced at 50 points... so this is a little more than wishlisting/ fearmongering.
    While I agree on the wishlisting part, I dont think that I would warrant a drop in points as IG are rather "cheap" pointwise if you compare them.

Quote Originally Posted by Charon View Post
    While I agree on the wishlisting part, I dont think that I would warrant a drop in points as IG are rather "cheap" pointwise if you compare them.
    Compared to what? Orks are 6 pts, and better on so many levels.

Marines are 16 pts, but if you go point for point, marines will kill IG in either shooting or hand to hand.

IG infantry's greatest strength is that they can get more heavy and special weapons for a given point value than any other army. They can't do horde as well as Orks or Tyranids.

Quote Originally Posted by deinol View Post
    Edit: I should note: The guard statline has always been the baseline the game was balanced off of. There's no way they'd change it now. Not unless GW has completely lost their senses.
    Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    no, just no on every level. Fantasy is based on a statline of 3s, 40k is based around the marine statline of 4s
    I don't want to re-open personal insults, but it seems to me that you're both wrong. First, if 40k were balanced, I don't know what sense it would make to say that it's balanced around one set of stats in particular: 4s are better than 3s so ought to cost more points or conversely 3s are worse than 4s and ought to cost fewer points - it amounts to the same thing. And, second, we all know that 40k is really balanced anyway, so therefore it's not balanced around either 3s or 4s!

To my knowledge, Guardsmen have always been Ld 7 since 2nd edition. Whatever the fluff might justify, I don't see that as likely to change.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast