BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Scout

Default Stripping models

Hi guys im fairly new to 40k and ive bought a couple of dark angels rhinos and dreadnoughts off ebay, there already assembled and glued , i was just wondering if there is a way of stripping it to apart to do a better paint job, same thing with the dreadnought as the arms are glued on, any advice would help, thanks alot

Scout

Talking taking tanks apart

Hi guys im fairly new and ive bought some rhino tanks and dreadnoughts that are already assembled and glued, i was just wondering if there was anyway of stripping them or taking them apart to make a better paint job, especially the dreadnoughts arms. Is there any way of doing this or any advice ? Thanks alot

Librarian

in the states simple green works really well at stripping non medal models. just let them soak and scrub clean with a brush. um as for taking apart tanks.. hmm the simple green will loosen the glue ocassionally depending on what they used. um acetone can work as well but gotta be careful with that dependant on what your using it on.
    unfiltered since 85. Don't like me tell some one who cares

Dettol works wonders for paint stripping.

Various things work, with Dettol being one of the popular solutions. Do a search for 'dettol paint stripping' or similar and you'll find tutorials - try Youtube if you want videos.

It would help to know a) what the models are made of, b) what kind of paint is used, and c) what kind of glue is used. Most likely answers are plastic, acrylic, and poly cement, but some stripping products are only safe for metal or will damage superglue, etc.

p.s. This doesn't really belong under 40k rumours - I assume someone has power to move it...

Brother-Sergeant

If they used superglue, you can generally get models apart. If they used plastic glue, you generally need a saw. :P
    Last edited by SquigBrain; 04-07-2014 at 12:11 PM. Reason: No spel gud
    Anuvver triumph uv orky know-wotz!

Shas'o

Get yourself a sonic cleaner. I swear by it and recommend it to EVERYONE!!! I use a little LAs totally awesome and the rest water. Used to use simple green but this is noticeably better. In 90 seconds it get most of the paint off. In another 90 seconds it's getting the paint in the cracks out and loosening weak glue.

EVERYTHING EXCEPT FOR FINECRAP (finecast). I say that because I haven't tried any finecast in it. But forgeworld resin is a GO!

Oh also. It does matter what kind of paint is used as the primer. Cheap spray paint is the hardest to get off. You can get it completely off and the plastic will be stained. GW spray paint is by far the easiest to remove.

Good luck fella!
    Last edited by JxKxR; 04-07-2014 at 12:30 PM.
    When you do something right people wont be sure that you've done anything at all.

Veteran-Sergeant

Leave for 24 hours soaking in a 3:1 mix of water and Fairy Power Spray (which you can get in Wilkos and MAY still be on offer). Give 'em a scrub the next day with an old toothbrush. Some primers will stain and I've had trouble getting black primer off in particular. Left longer, superglue will also break down. Plastic glue is there for good though.

Just be careful when using it on resin. It can get softened, particularly if it's thin and been left for too long.

Have a look for Squidgybidge on YouTube for a decent demo of the mix in action
    I : IX, I : XIV, II : DCLXVI

Scout

Thanks alot everyone for all your advice ill have a little play around

First-Captain

Here's some info I posted in another thread regarding this subject.

there's a couple of older threads that may help as well...

[URL="http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?42083-My-tip-for-the-best-way-to-strip-paint-from-miniatures"]http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?42083-My-tip-for-the-best-way-to-strip-paint-from-miniatures[/URL]

[URL="http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?39350-Re-priming-over-painted-miniatures-possible"]http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?39350-Re-priming-over-painted-miniatures-possible[/URL]

Hope those will help
    "I was there the day Horus slew the Emperor".....
    my blog http://madlapsedwargamer.blogspot.co.uk/