BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Thread: Hello

Default Hello

Hi, my local hobby shop has been talking about starting up a Warhammer league and as a long time fan of the books and pc games I was thinking it would be cool to get into the miniature games as well. I have been looking around on the internet for information on where to start. I found the games workshop page but didn't find a whole lot of useful information there. I eventually found this place and was wondering if anyone could point me the right direction or help me out with some advice on what to buy and where to buy it in order to start my collection. Is there any materials I should get my hands on first to start reading? Are there any factions that are easier for beginners to comprehend?

Occuli Imperator

Hello and welcome aboard!

After 5 posts you'll gain additional forum privileges.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Chapter-Master

Hello,

I'd suggest start where everyone does, space marines. Look at peoples army lists and see what you need.
    You'll definitely need some troops (tactical squads or scouts)
    Or you can read around more and see. But something like nids or orks you're committing yourself to a horde.
    something like grey knights you're going to have less models but you need to know what to do...
    Or wait for the guard codex and get tanks

come to the oubliette

Enjoy our tangents

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

I started with the Grey Knights, and it's a good place to start, not requiring too many models. Plus now with 7th edition out, having something with psychic abilities would be good to have.

Welcome! I guess that the first place to start would be the rules. If you purchase the 3 book collection you'll get a pretty great fluff book as well as one showcasing the models themselves. I read the fluff cover to cover and couldn't put it down, the showcase, while pretty cool, was a quick flip to the sections I was interested in & nothing since. The rules is where you'll spend a LOT of time, both on & off the tabletop. I would suggest a few games with a friends force before jumping in. If you like what you see/read, take a serious look at the box set which is featuring the Orks vs. Grey Wolves (I believe that you can probably still get your hands on Dark Vengance, which is Chaos & Dark Angels).