BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Dreadknight or Terminators?

Ive been considering my list again and im wondering which would suit better. My Dreadknight with Psycannon and Incinerator or a unit of 5 Termies with Halberds and a Psycannon.

Unit size wise both are similar, similar footprint, the Dreadknight only has 1 wound less than the squad though is much easier to pick out at range.

The Dreadknight only gets 5 attacks on the charge while the unit gets 10 but its got a higher strength and has potential for lots of ranged damage. Both can deepstrike and then theres the teleporter option for the Knight......

Cant seem to make my mind up.

Well, Terminators are troop choices, so that's something in their favour. But the DK has better ranged firepower...

Chapter-Master

Both!

The list does already have a unit of Termies i was just gonna double up on em. The more i think about it the more i wanna try the Dreadknight anyway. The list is light on blasts/templates so it will do.

Is 275 points too much though? Atm its a straight 200 hence the possible swap with the Termies. Does a gun platform need a teleporter or shall i keep it 'cheap'.

Librarian

the dreadknight is amazing at soaking firepower as their size and the 30" Shunt will distract most opponents.

The termys are nice, i love 'em and always advise taking more.

Brother-Captain

Termies, no one ever argues that they're walkers.

Quote Originally Posted by bfmusashi View Post
    Termies, no one ever argues that they're walkers.
    It's true.

Personally, I'd take the dreadknight, I think GKT are awful in the new book. You'd much rather have the 2+/4++ than the 2+/5++ the terminators get especially considering their differences in toughness. If you're looking for a unit with Halberds and a psycannon or two just go with purifiers, if you want something more durable to pack an assault punch I think the DK is far better.
    See my blog @ http://perilsoftheblog.blogspot.com/

Librarian

Dreadknights only have 5++'s.
    Let the Galaxy burn.

Quote Originally Posted by blackarmchair View Post
    It's true.

Personally, I'd take the dreadknight, I think GKT are awful in the new book. You'd much rather have the 2+/4++ than the 2+/5++ the terminators get especially considering their differences in toughness. If you're looking for a unit with Halberds and a psycannon or two just go with purifiers, if you want something more durable to pack an assault punch I think the DK is far better.
    Really? 225 points for a psycannon Terminator squad are really a very good troop choice. They've got great shots that they don't lose when they move--better than the Dreadknight's shots, since they're actually good against tanks. They're reasonable tough. They put out great damage in combat (except against tanks, they're significantly better than the Dreadknight). They score. Free Thunderhammer (that goes up to S10) gives them some worthwhile damage against tanks in combat.

GKT are a good, solid troop unit that is mobile, versatile, tough, and reasonably priced. Not liking them is foolish.

Dreadknights are useful as flying monsters. Without a teleporter, they're basically a waste---the guns aren't good enough to justify them. With a teleporter they're scary tank-punchers that can also beat most normal non-vehicle units in combat.
    Last edited by Bean; 05-01-2011 at 04:40 PM.

Chapter-Master

I've been taking 10 GKT with 2 psycannons and one of various attached characters, and they're pretty effective. I've literally just marched them straight up the middle of the board into the opponent's deployment zone, shooting the whole way.

It's probably not the greatest way to play them, but the sheer amount of firepower it takes to kill them is impressive. I've taken them against SW and BA razorback spam, and despite all the plasma rifles and lascannons and the like it typically takes most of my opponent's army the whole game to kill the Terminators over the course of the game. It also keeps most of his army trapped in his deployment zone. It's important to note that the Termies are backed up by psyrifle dreads that keep half his army stunned or destroyed very effectively.

I don't think it would do quite as well against IG or DE, though (too many veterans with plasma guns and dark lances), and I tend to have trouble getting past midfield with significant force quickly. In Capture and Control, it's very tough to do anything but tie, though you're nearly guaranteed at least a tie if you play smart because you can trap your opponent in his deployment zone.

Anyways, moral of the story is that GKT are pretty awesome. I've yet to be convinced the same of Dreadknights, though I haven't tried taking one yet. I just can't bring myself to fit one into a list when there are other things that I think are better. I'll get around to it eventually.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast