BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Necron Tactica

Chaplain

Lightbulb Necron Tactica

Hey everyone. I've decided to do a necron tactica- well DUH!!- and how I'm going to do it is I'm goin to post a new way of using a unit every week starting on Saturday and anyone is welcome to challenge my posts request posts and share other tactics.(lets see how often I reallyput up my posts)
    Also other than unit specific tactica I will say how to use the army as a whole and how to use it against specific armys, maybe even necrons!
    Anyway to start off I'm going to discuss the loveable scarabs. 1st things 1st, try to get a unit of 10. No surprise but they die REALLY easily and you need all you can get. Give the squad disruption fields. Granted they arent as good as they used to be in 4th ed. but you can still immobilize vehicles and wear them down.
    Honestly, I wouldn't deep strike with scarabs. Since they can't assault on the turn they deep strike it is pretty pointless(unless its planetstrike) so I would turbo boost them on my first turn. It gives them 2+ cover save and can get them right at the heart of the enemies beloved force were they can keep everyone distracted-muah ha ha.
    Well thats the basic scarab tactica. Watch this space for more necron tactics to come.
    Master Bryss and I build conversions IN A SHED. WITH CLIPPERS N' GLUE!
    Hi, I'm Titans newest recruit. PREPARE TO BE PURGED!!!

Veteran-Sergeant

I wouldn't say that a squad of scarabs die really easily, especially if you have turbo boosted, I would hate to have 10 scarab bases that have turbo boosted towards me, because the only way that the enemy can kill them is combat (which will take forever because of the 30 wounds) or use lots of flamers, which many people don't take anymore.
    A good thing is to turbo boost right in front of heavy shooting units such as dark reapers or devastators, meaning the unit can try and kill them by shooting (not likely with a 2+ save) or assault them which they'll probably lose the combat.
    I personally would never deepstrike them as I find they die too easily without a cover save.

Also watch out for flamestorm cannons they kill scarabs so easily.

Smile

Ah Necrons. I have a soft spot for 'em. My First army, I still think their fluff is impressive, and their models great. Flayed ones are one of my favorite models in tha game: Psychotic androids that have gone insane and wear the skin of their victims? It's a wonderful embodiment of the unhinged, dark universe of 40k.

Alas, I hear 'Crons have suffered somewhat in 5th edition, and they always did have some flaws (Restrictive army list, high points cost, units like Pariahs)

Anyway, nice idea. I wrote a comprehensive tactica for The Imperial Guard Forums, and good on you for supporting the metal-heads!

In the tactica, don't forget to mention those funny rules that can affect a unit that are easily forgotten; for example, scarabs are vulnerable to ordnance, but can be generated by Tomb Spyders. And explaining what a unit should be aiming to acheive (Tie up low STR units), and what they need to avoid (Artillery, flamers, power weapons etc.) and how they can do this (Fair enough, turbo boosting is mentioned!)

But good luck with this wee project!

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by mstingray View Post
    I wouldn't say that a squad of scarabs die really easily, especially if you have turbo boosted, I would hate to have 10 scarab bases that have turbo boosted towards me, because the only way that the enemy can kill them is combat (which will take forever because of the 30 wounds) or use lots of flamers, which many people don't take anymore.
    A good thing is to turbo boost right in front of heavy shooting units such as dark reapers or devastators, meaning the unit can try and kill them by shooting (not likely with a 2+ save) or assault them which they'll probably lose the combat.
    I personally would never deepstrike them as I find they die too easily without a cover save.

Also watch out for flamestorm cannons they kill scarabs so easily.
    And don't ever take them if you're facing Grey Knights.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Brother-Captain

Scarabs are good for tying things down for a couple turns, but disruption fields are largely a waste. Glancing hits just don't destroy vehices.

I put up my own Necron crash course if you're looking for ideas: [url]http://bnhblog.blogspot.com/2009/10/chumbys-nexus-of-necron-nowledge.html[/url]

Battle-Brother

i think they're the best swarms in the game

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by bigrob281 View Post
    i think they're the best swarms in the game
    That isn't saying much :P

Veteran-Sergeant

For whatever reason, I seem to have settled into running two squads of 8 Scarab Swarms without Disruption Fields in most of my armies. The squads seem large enough to have survivability but are still pretty cheap at only 96 points per unit. Depending on the opponent's army and who has first turn, I will sometimes leave a unit in reserve and use them to turboboost towards objectives late game. I love tar-pitting and slowly eating str 3 units with my Scarabs. Yum! The models are small enough that in addition to the great turbo boost save, it is often possible to actually deny line of sight when they are in a ruin. Bring on the next unit!

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Chumbalaya View Post
    Scarabs are good for tying things down for a couple turns, but disruption fields are largely a waste. Glancing hits just don't destroy vehices.

I put up my own Necron crash course if you're looking for ideas: [url]http://bnhblog.blogspot.com/2009/10/chumbys-nexus-of-necron-nowledge.html[/url]
    May as well throw mine in as well

[url]http://imperiusdominatus.blogspot.com/2009/09/necron-tactica.html[/url]

And C'Tan tactica as well : [url]http://imperiusdominatus.blogspot.com/2009/11/necron-ctan-tactica.html[/url]

Feel free to copy any of mine, just give credit and link back to my blog
    www.imperiusdominatus.com - warhammer 40,000 tactica and hobby blog

Anyone ever try taking a 20 man warrior unit? I dig that its basicly asking to be assulted and made to phase out but if your lord is with it with the veil shouldnt you be able to teleport them out of danger pretty easily? It would be semi-tough to kill with shooting and able to put out quite a few shots at short range right?

I mean if you have such a big target on the field at least you know where they are going to be gunning? Might give the rest of your force some openings? Maybe more effective in planet strike and such?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast