BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Necron Tactica

Hybrid View

Chaplain

Some thoughts:
    Using Veil to get into Res Orb range can be risky, take care selecting a Deep Strike point. If you deep strike within 6" of a unit and get bad scatter, you risk your Lord being destroyed or off the board where he does nothing. If the Lord teleports on his own, chances are he'll get shot at.

Don't put down the Staff so much, it's a decent weapon in the hands of a Lord designed to fight off light to MEQ infantry, effectively doubling the Lord's Attacks if within 6", against most troopers

I find the Destroyer Lord a good addition to a Wraith unit, if equipped with a Staff it can help pick off infantry and give the squad more attacks, as well as making it less fragile. If equipped with a Warscythe the unit is almost guarranteed a kill against most vehicles, due to the Wraith's Strength, the Scythe's powers and also the handy 'combat always against rear armour' rule. And since the Wraiths move fast, its less risky than Veil.
    Cyberscape7 and I build conversions IN A SHED. WITH CLIPPERS N' GLUE!
    My Beloved Blog: http://www.bryssling.blogspot.com/

"I’ll either be doing Flayed ones or tomb spyders. I’ll let you vote which one you want"

I wanna hear about flayed ones! Psycho, skin-covered robots; what's not to love? Plus, Spyders have been discussed ad infinatum in another thread.

Brother-Captain

There isn't much to Flayed Ones. Overpriced assault marines without fleet or jump packs, no power weapons, a funky Ld effect that doesn't do anything since they never see combat and everyone has high Ld too (combine with even worse Pariahs for a super effect!!). Deep Striking is suicide, Infiltrating/Outflanking means jack since they move like infantry and end up outside of Orb range.

Truly a terrible unit.
    Last edited by Chumbalaya; 01-16-2010 at 08:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chumbalaya View Post
    There isn't much too Flayed Ones. Overpriced assault marines without fleet or jump packs, no power weapons, a funky Ld effect that doesn't do anything since they never see combat and everyone has high Ld too (combine with even worse Pariahs for a super effect!!). Deep Striking is suicide, Infiltrating/Outflanking means jack since they move like infantry and end up outside of Orb range.

Truly a terrible unit.
    Tell us how you TRULY fell about them HAHA
    Borderline alcoholic and happy about it.
    Don't get your religion mixed with my Constitution. The mixture curdles.

Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Chumbalaya View Post
    There isn't much too Flayed Ones. Overpriced assault marines without fleet or jump packs, no power weapons, a funky Ld effect that doesn't do anything since they never see combat and everyone has high Ld too (combine with even worse Pariahs for a super effect!!). Deep Striking is suicide, Infiltrating/Outflanking means jack since they move like infantry and end up outside of Orb range.

Truly a terrible unit.
    Flayed ones are crap. Love the models and the fluff, but to actually play with them is where the love ends.

If you actually pull them out of your case, you are just giving points to your opponent. It's better to take more Warriors or Immortals.

Chaplain

W00t! Nearly 1k views =]. Well now all we need is 1000 responses(hint hint) Anyway, I know you dont want to hear about my wishes, you just want to hear all my lovely tactics. I made a BIG mistake last week. I chose destroyers for this week You see... I dont know any uber cool tactics about them. So Im sorry but this is going to be a basic summary on how to use them.
    Well to start off you need to know the number to use. Personally I go for 3 a squad but if you have the points and models go nuts! Now the gauss cannon. S6 AP4 and 3 shots... Who doesnt at least LIKE this wep. Now back in the good old 4th ed. I managed to blow up a land raider with my lovely unit of destoryers. However because of 5th ed and 'no-new-codex-blues' I would see the destroyeres as an anti infantry unit. Here is one tip I have. DONT PUT DESTROYERS WITH DESTROYER LORD! The lords goin to be gettin up nice and close to chop up the emperor and your destroyers need to be far back. So to sum up this lame post, destroyers units of 3, kill the troops choices, dont put with lord and keep them away from evry1. Well people I am sorry for this fiasco but to make up for it, I will do a post on the c'tan next week. Lets see what we can do with them shalll we?
    Master Bryss and I build conversions IN A SHED. WITH CLIPPERS N' GLUE!
    Hi, I'm Titans newest recruit. PREPARE TO BE PURGED!!!

Battle-Brother

I'm not trying to pollute your good work, but I'd like to share a few things about destroyers.

They are an excellent infantry killer as has already been noted. S6 shots are also fairly good at forcing Monstrous Creatures to take armour saves. I played a game against Tyranids with a couple of the new T6 W6 Monstrous Creatures and my Destroyers really helped in wearing them down.

Destroyers can also be usefull in popping all those transports speeding around the battlefield these days. Shooting at the front armor doesn't give you much, but if you can get in some side shots or the nirvana of a rear shot (not likely, but possible) those nasty transports will either grind to a halt or explode outright. Once those troops are on foot your less speedy units can deal with them much better.

Destroyers teamed up with with Heavy Destroyers can also be great fun. The Heavy Destroyers can pop transports and then the Destroyers can gun down the passengers. If your opponent is rushing a fully mounted army at you you won't be able to stop them all, but you can force him/her to either split forces to continue the rush or slow down to maintain cohesion.

I personally like to have 5 Destroyers in a group. Its nice because if you lose one you don't have to immediately take a Leadership test and its harder for your opponent to kill them all in one turn of shooting (We'll Be Back).

Also at the end of the game you can turbo boost your Destroyers onto your enemy's objective to contest it.

Sorry for the long post, but once I start typing its hard to stop.

Chaplain

[QUOTE=Cyberscape7;51876] However because of 5th ed and 'no-new-codex-blues' I would see the destroyers as an anti infantry unit. Here is one tip I have. DONT PUT DESTROYERS WITH DESTROYER LORD!
    Never were truer words spoken.
    Goodbye Bols!

Veteran-Sergeant

Nice article. The most interesting and useful advice I got out of it was the very important point of not running your Destroyer Lord with Destroyers. It seems natural to do so, but it is a tactically awful choice!

In standard sized games, I always run Destroyers in squads of 5 to give them increased WBB survivability. Look forward to Ctan.

Chaplain

Though it's not the most practical thing to do, I sometimes run a tooled out CC Destroyer lord in a unit of three Wraiths. They're extremely mobile and hit like a train. Scarab Swarms are great smokescreen units for these types of strike teams too.

3+ invulnerable saves make me feel all warm and fuzzy...
    Goodbye Bols!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast