BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Necron Tactica

Chaplain

Do you really want to risk deep striking a 20 man unit which costs 360 points plus the lord and lose it when you scatter?
    www.imperiusdominatus.com - warhammer 40,000 tactica and hobby blog

Chaplain

Hello evryone. Thanks for all the feedback from my very first post, I cant believe theres no boo mail(maybe there was but I just ignored it). Anyway since I’ve finished that scarab tactic I decided to move onto another unit that is a must have. The Necron Lord. Like any HQ the necorn lord is either a weapon of mass destruction or a supporter of the other units. The difference is that depending on the upgrades you give him he can be either. For an support lord I usually only use two upgrades, resurrection orb and veil of darkness. It fills up the 100 point limit but its worth it. You can teleport the Necron lord anywhere where your force is weak or dying and keep them alive while fighting off the enemy. As for an assault lord I usually give him destroyer body, Phylactery, phase shifter and gaze of flame. This gives you a Lord that can move up to 24”, has a 4+ invulnerable, has the possibility of healing all three wounds and negates charge attacks from assaulting units plus causes -1 Ld. When it comes to weapons I think that the Warscythe is a must. Im upset now because I gave my assault Lord a staff of light which although shoots 3 S5 AP3 shots and is a power weapon isn’t nearly as good up close. Warscythes don’t let any save through. Invulnerable or cover included!!! Plus they get 2D6 for attaking vehicles. A land raider could fall to a Necron lord like that…
    Well that’s enough for one unit. Next week I’ll either be doing Flayed ones or tomb spyders. I’ll let you vote which one you want.
    Master Bryss and I build conversions IN A SHED. WITH CLIPPERS N' GLUE!
    Hi, I'm Titans newest recruit. PREPARE TO BE PURGED!!!

Chaplain

Some thoughts:
    Using Veil to get into Res Orb range can be risky, take care selecting a Deep Strike point. If you deep strike within 6" of a unit and get bad scatter, you risk your Lord being destroyed or off the board where he does nothing. If the Lord teleports on his own, chances are he'll get shot at.

Don't put down the Staff so much, it's a decent weapon in the hands of a Lord designed to fight off light to MEQ infantry, effectively doubling the Lord's Attacks if within 6", against most troopers

I find the Destroyer Lord a good addition to a Wraith unit, if equipped with a Staff it can help pick off infantry and give the squad more attacks, as well as making it less fragile. If equipped with a Warscythe the unit is almost guarranteed a kill against most vehicles, due to the Wraith's Strength, the Scythe's powers and also the handy 'combat always against rear armour' rule. And since the Wraiths move fast, its less risky than Veil.
    Cyberscape7 and I build conversions IN A SHED. WITH CLIPPERS N' GLUE!
    My Beloved Blog: http://www.bryssling.blogspot.com/

"I’ll either be doing Flayed ones or tomb spyders. I’ll let you vote which one you want"

I wanna hear about flayed ones! Psycho, skin-covered robots; what's not to love? Plus, Spyders have been discussed ad infinatum in another thread.

Brother-Captain

There isn't much to Flayed Ones. Overpriced assault marines without fleet or jump packs, no power weapons, a funky Ld effect that doesn't do anything since they never see combat and everyone has high Ld too (combine with even worse Pariahs for a super effect!!). Deep Striking is suicide, Infiltrating/Outflanking means jack since they move like infantry and end up outside of Orb range.

Truly a terrible unit.
    Last edited by Chumbalaya; 01-16-2010 at 08:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chumbalaya View Post
    There isn't much too Flayed Ones. Overpriced assault marines without fleet or jump packs, no power weapons, a funky Ld effect that doesn't do anything since they never see combat and everyone has high Ld too (combine with even worse Pariahs for a super effect!!). Deep Striking is suicide, Infiltrating/Outflanking means jack since they move like infantry and end up outside of Orb range.

Truly a terrible unit.
    Tell us how you TRULY fell about them HAHA
    Borderline alcoholic and happy about it.
    Don't get your religion mixed with my Constitution. The mixture curdles.

Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Chumbalaya View Post
    There isn't much too Flayed Ones. Overpriced assault marines without fleet or jump packs, no power weapons, a funky Ld effect that doesn't do anything since they never see combat and everyone has high Ld too (combine with even worse Pariahs for a super effect!!). Deep Striking is suicide, Infiltrating/Outflanking means jack since they move like infantry and end up outside of Orb range.

Truly a terrible unit.
    Flayed ones are crap. Love the models and the fluff, but to actually play with them is where the love ends.

If you actually pull them out of your case, you are just giving points to your opponent. It's better to take more Warriors or Immortals.

I disagree. Flayed Ones are very nice in 5th edition. They work great at tourneys as multi purpose disruption units with a few ways of deployment, which is useful when facing different opponents. IMO, the best way to run them is around 8 man squads with an attached foot lord equipped with a GoF and a Warscythe. The GoF not only denies your opponent their charge attack but it also reduces their leadership by 1 making the FO's Terrifying Visage better. Points permitting consider adding a Res Orb and/or Lightning Field. I like to use them for holding objectives early on in the game and waiting for a Warrior squad to arrive from reserve and claim it. Also , they are quite useful for Outflanking(an ability they gained in 5th) or they are invaluable as a counter Infiltrator unit when you face armies with units like Eldar Rangers that get dug into terrain and are incredibly difficult to dig out. FO's can deny your opponent the best terrain to infiltrate into, or assault them inside since they have move through cover. Flayed Ones are even better than your average warrior because they are I4.

Chaplain

OOPS!! I'm 9hours late!
    Still I have looked at all the hate mail flayed ones have recieved and its obvious you dont want to here about them...
    So I'm gonna do them anyway
    Well as it has been noted, deep striking flayed ones is pointless. To a certain degree I agree However as mentioned by necron lord3 Outflanking is VERY useful not only against eldar but also against tau and the like. Now heres a combo I like to use it requires the Flayed ones and a necron lord with chronometron. Pariahs also help but aren't nescesarry.
    Flayed ones attack and hopefully win combat. If you have pariahs nearby it lowers enemy Ld to 7. Then if they fail their Ld they fall back. Chronometron lets you sweeping advance 3D6 and you will almost always kill the unit
    Of course this isnt the only thing you can do with flayed ones. Depending on the type of game played they can be pretty useful in planetstrike. I do wish that the claws were power weps though
    Oh well hopefully 5th ed will change that... GAGHHH! Off topic.
    Ok ill admit that isnt a lot on flayed ones(partially cuz this is last minute) but I hope people will stop critisising them so much.
    Anyway next week Ill be doing the Tomb Spyder.
    Until then...
    Master Bryss and I build conversions IN A SHED. WITH CLIPPERS N' GLUE!
    Hi, I'm Titans newest recruit. PREPARE TO BE PURGED!!!

Personally I find Flayed Ones to be quite useful, usually have a unit of 6 outflank to eat heavy weapons units or a tank of sorts. Tried out the same with a unit of 10 and it kicked ***! Giving them disruption fields is debateable, most of the people where I play that use tanks leave them on there own (or with a heavy weapons unit) so I use it, although it still isn't the easiest way killing a tank.

For a Lord I normally go with: Warscythe, Res Orb, Phylactery, Phase Shifter on my first one and Scythe, Res orb, phylac, Gave of Flame and if I'm fighting a slightly more 'squishy' army, Lightning Field (although I have got the drop on one very unlucky terminator with it :P) Usually have them in a unit of Warriors either side of the board and have a Tomb Spyder floating about in the middle of 'em. The Warscythe does mean fun, I mean, who cares if that Defiler's 3 times the size of me?

With Scarabs, I usually boost a unit of 6 right infront of any of my opponents fast moving stuff, or try to draw stronger/more slow things out of cover (If they aren't in a transport of some description). Don't Deep Strike with them, it's pointless, you can boost them pretty much anywhere, giving them a 2+ cover save, it doesn't really matter that you then can't charge with them, they're pretty much there to die anyway. (Or holding up a unit for 3 turns and then laughing inside as the enemy thought that was awesome)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast