BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Threaded View

Default Let's scratchbuild a Spartan Assault Tank!

So I'm trying to build a Space Marine Spartan Assault Tank, which costs £98, plus 12.5% postage. **** spending that kind of money! Time to break out the plasticard and get scratchbuilding.
    Reference: [url]http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Space_Marines/Space-Marine-Tanks/SPARTAN_ASSAULT_TANK.html[/url]

This project started when I found this on eBay. It's a prototype from a guy who makes mdf buildings and scenery. I got this for £15. The body was made of 2mm mdf, and the tracks of cardboard.

As you can see, there's no detail, and the mdf details that are there are a bit... spare. Plus the tracks look bad.

Initial skinning of the tank. I hated the cardboard tracks, so I got rid of them. I mulled over buying some pre-cast ones from Blood and Skulls Industries, but elected not. So, I had to make every track link by hand.

******* there were a lot of track links.

- - - Updated - - -

Like, more track links than I expected, and I expected there to be a lot. Total track construction time: three episodes of 'The Killing'.

It's beginning to take shape. Here's the roof in progress; it took about five hours.

Here, I'm starting to build up the side panels. The roof is almost finished. The gun turret in the front took ****ING AGES to get right. So ******* fiddly...

Both side panels done. Total build time, an episode or two of 'Helix' and a really bad horror film called 'The Tattooist'

- - - Updated - - -

Hey mods, I'm trying to add pics, and this new forum keeps making it impossible.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, I'm hoping this works. I've had nothing but problems with the forum doubling up the number of images I have posted for no discernable reason.

Sponson guns added. I had to scratch build both sponson, then cut and modify the guns in order to get them to fit correctly

The engine. I hate making curved surfaces. Hate, hate, hate it.

Build time, two episodes of 'The Musketeers'. Good show - it's what 'Atlantis' should have been.
    Last edited by YorkNecromancer; 05-09-2014 at 12:10 PM.
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO