BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Angry Eldar 2500 pts - please help!

Hey there fellow Wargamers!

I've recently played against some Eldar, and I've found I enjoy their look!

So, I'm just mentally playing around w/ a list...

I have some broad strokes - things I know I wanna do.

However, I really know nothing else of Eldar.

So, here is what I want and have as an idea

Eldar, single force org
    2500 pts

HQ:
    Wraithseer
    Spiritseer

Troops
    Wrathgauards
    Wraithblades
    (how many, how equipped - I am lost >.>)

Fast:
    2 (3?) Hemlock Wraithfighters

Heavy
    x2 Wraithlords
    x1 Wraithknight

So yeah "Wraith" is the flavor of the day.
    I really like the combo of Wraithseer and Spiritseer, but like everything else I'm not sure how to gear them up.

This is largely a thought experiment. But I'd LOVE to hear your thoughts, comments, etc.

I'd also be open to Iyanden if you think it would help - but I know that book even less.

Thank you!
    - Hammerman

Ok you will need some wave serpents, your troops will need to get to the objectives and none have great range. In terms of weapon load the hated scatter laser is the best bet as hoard type armies are the ones that will give your army a hard time. If you want to play to your theme add spirit stones.
    D scythes are probably the most flexible weapon for guard , flames hoards can damage vehicles and wall of death any thing that tries to assult though this is pricey,
    Standard guard are fine but place them in a transport and head them toward vehicles fire dragon style, they benefit from spirit mark so stick a sprit seer with them.
    The assult wraiths are not something I've used.
    Iyaden is worth using as it has better warlord traits and in testing war gear. plus make your warlord a wraith knight (years of suffering t3 swidgey ness )

Wraith fighters are not considered to be great. They don't synergies well with writhes. Ideally if you are taking them on mass you want things to inflict as many ld tests as possible. Rangers and pinning weapons. If you are going for them then telepathy may become your psykic of choice.
    how ever if you are going to fork out for the kit the crimson hunter may be better as your army has little to respond to flyers.

Dave l
    Davel miniature painter http://www.flickr.com/photos/davelminiturepainter/sets/

Veteran-Sergeant

HQ: Fine

Troops: Take 3x5 wraithguard in serpents with scatterlasers & holofields. Then 1x5 wraithblades in the same. Finally as all your troops are short ranged or close combat who will hold your home objectives? Take a unit of 5 or so rangers to camp on a home objective.

Fast: They are ok but I would take at least one crimson hunter to deal with tanks.

Heavy: Great. I love the basic 240 point wraithknight but wraithlords have more of a mix of firepower options. Look at the Iyanden supplement as Dave I sugests for the more useful warlord options and the better primaris Psy-power.

2500 pts seems a very high points value to start at!

try proxying things until you find units you really like.

imo you need warlocks to 'heal' wounds on the larger wraith constructs. and warlocks are MUCH more effective with a venom buff.
    [at 2500 pts you can afford a few DE allies]

just to point out serpents can hold six wraith - just decide where you want the spirit seer [i normally stick mine with the scythes]

good luck experimenting

Hello everyone!

I've heard a lot of suggestions, been given a lot of free advice.

Here is a list that has come together.
    its 3K - and very... first draft.

So please, let me know what you think and all that.

Iyanden Roster
    3000 pts
    Single Force Org.

WraithKnight [HQ] w/ 2 Heavy Wraith Cannons, Scatter Laser, and Star Cannon.
    + SpiritSeer w/ Pistol, Staff, The Wraithforge Stone (Runes of Battle)
    This team is pretty simple- the HQ, and the dude that heals him. They will stay near the other big walkers, and lay down some pretty good damage.

Speaking of which:

WraithSeer w/ D-Cannon
    He is here to deliver unto us, the "big walkers" Psychic Powers. (Invisible things? yes please)

WraithLord w/ 2 Shuriken Catapults, 2 Shuriken Cannons & Ghost Glaive
    WraithLord w/ 2 Flamers, Ghostlaive, Bright Lance and Scatter Laser
    These two are different, to cover two different bases and stratagies.

Aegis Defense Line w/ Quad Gun
    + 10 Fire Dragons
    Here is a nice unit. They're short ranged, but have the Aegis to keep behind to start. After that, they can move around w/ fleet.

5 WraithGuard w/ D-Scythe
    + SpirtSeer w/ Pistol, The Celestial Lance
    + Wave Serpant w/ TL-Bright Lance, TL Shuriken Catapults, Spirit Stones, Holo-Fields and Vectored Engines
    This is the tank-busting, high-armor-eliminating group.

5 WraithGuard w/ D-Scythe
    + SpiritSeer w/ Pistol, Staff, and Spear of Teuthlas
    + Wave Serpant w/ TL-StarCannons, TL Shuriken Catapults, Holo-Fields and Vectored Engines
    A bit more aggressive, "Threat Manager" group.

5 WraithGuard w/ WraithCannons
    SpiritSeer w/ Pistol, Staff, and Guardian Helm
    + Wave Serpant w/ TL-Shirken Cannons, Shuriken Cannon, Holo-Fields, Crystal Targeting Matrix and Star Engines Engines.
    This group runs in fast, gets a shot off, and then unloads a nice bit of firepower from inside.

WraithBlades w/ GhostSwords
    + SpiritSeer w/ Pistol and Soulshrive
    + Wave Serpant w/ TL-Scatter lasers, TL Shuriken Catapults, Holo-Fields and Star Engines Engines.
    This is a fast moving melee unit. I kept the swords for their multiple attacks and higher initiative.

Well, that's it for now.
    As always, open to suggestion, assistance, and constructive criticism.
    Thank you!
    - Hammerman

Ok

Your warlord wraith knight the secondary weapons as a monsterous creature can only shoot 2, they won't see much actition over wraith cannon

Wraith lord the flammers are more useful than the shuriken catapults.

Your crystal targeting matrix. Thing this bit of kit is meant for torrenting night spinners or transporting falcs. Yes it gets your short range gun in to play, but it is an expensive bit of kit. If this is about the range it would be more cost effective to get a longer range gun.

The fire dragons I'd swap for reapers. They do a similar short range there goes your tank as your guard. No decent player will let them walk up to there tank. Reapers bring most of the same shooty goodness as dragons to your anti air plus regular dudes will contribute.

Dave l

Quote Originally Posted by davel View Post
    Ok

Your warlord wraith knight the secondary weapons as a monsterous creature can only shoot 2, they won't see much actition over wraith cannon

Wraith lord the flammers are more useful than the shuriken catapults.

Your crystal targeting matrix. Thing this bit of kit is meant for torrenting night spinners or transporting falcs. Yes it gets your short range gun in to play, but it is an expensive bit of kit. If this is about the range it would be more cost effective to get a longer range gun.

The fire dragons I'd swap for reapers. They do a similar short range there goes your tank as your guard. No decent player will let them walk up to there tank. Reapers bring most of the same shooty goodness as dragons to your anti air plus regular dudes will contribute.

Dave l
    this ^

think he about nailed it.

Also imo at 2500 upwards its maybe nice to have all the toys on your serpents, but i am finding quantity of threat is more important than the bitz and pieces! ; the ghost walk matrix is not to be underestimated . it can get you lots of 'obscured' cover saves which works out the same as holo-fields, but still lets you move through cover with impunity.

I know lots of ppl rave about them but chin guns are still expensive and imo the best load out for Wave Serpents is still TLBL; a 42/48" ST LANCE threat against everything - especially if you have 3 or more serpents is much more dangerous than 'extra' ST 6 hitz; I suppose if you were almost always facing 'horde/monster' armies there might be a case for splitting it, but the shield has that utility in any case and a 60" range!

I prefer axeguard over wraithblades but that is a real toss up; the 4+ IV seems to pay off in general.

good hunting

Okay so- another day, another round of suggestions, etc.

Eldar - Iyanden
    2500 points (again)

"Team Big Walkers" (Not actually a team, but they'll be working in close proximity)
    WraithKnight [Warlord] w/ 2 Heavy Wraithcannon
    WraithSeer w/ D-Cannon
    x2 WraithLord w/ 2 Flamers, Bright Lance & Scatter Laser
    plus a SpirtSeer w/ Pistol, Staff & The Wraithforge Stone

x2 WraithGuard (x5 bodies) w/ D-Scythes
    + WraithSeer w/ Pistol, Staff & Runes of Battle
    + Waveserpant w/ TL Scatter Lasers, TL Shuriken Catapults, Ghostwalk Matrix, Holo-Fields

WraithGuard (x5 bodies) w/ WraithCannons
    + WraithSeer w/ Pistol, Staff & Runes of Battle
    + Waveserpant w/ TL BrightLance, TL Shuriken Catapults, Ghostwalk Matrix, Holo-Fields

WraithBlades (x5 Bodies) w/ GhostAxe & Force Shield
    + WraithSeer w/ Pistol, Staff & Spirit Stone of Anath'lan (Runes of Battle)
    + Waveserpant w/ TL StarCannons, TL Shuriken Catapults, Ghostwalk Matrix, Holo-Fields

So, the idea is to move the tanks up w/ their cargo. The two identical going after objectives, while the two non-identical go after higher priority targets.

Interspersed is Team Big Walker, which will babysit and range-support those who need. The spirit-seer will hang back nearby to keep the team in good shape.

Or-
    Do you think I should nix the WaveSerpant for the WraithBlades, get 5 more Wraith Blades drop the Spirit Stone - and move the WraithForge Stone Spirit Seer into the Wraith Blade group - have them protect that seer, while she stays close enough to the WraithLords and WraithKnight to heal them?

Can't see any major issue with your list above. Your at a point were the list is are at a arguable stage. For example I don't tale ghost walk but I do know players that swear by them.
    Your above body guard suggestion has the positive point of being able to rescue the knight from tar pitting but on the negative the knight is a fast 12.inch move where guard are slow for eldar with no fleet and no natural battle focus( iyaden power relying on psyk test)