BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Question Question on game points and how to spend them wisely.

Ok so in 40k people gave me the advice every 500 points you should at least use up 1 troop slot as I play chaos daemons this is usually 1 herald and a troop now my question because fantasy is done by percentages for each selection how would I go about setting limits to each section so I don't over spend on 1 section too much I know about the basic rules of having 2 core and 1 lord/hero and the % they are limit to.

The army i play is themed nurgle daemons of chaos
    Using this Method so now i can play with my 40k round base
    [URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b0jJ-t3SXo"]Link here[/URL]
    Those who judge without reason are no better then the things they judge.

Brother-Captain

Since things aren't quite so clear cut in WFB I operate in a simple way;
    1: Take 25% Core first.
    2: Take a general and a BSB(I have yet to find a good reason NOT to have a BSB unless you can't afford one)
    3: Take the stuff you like the look/idea of the most.
    4: Boom.
    Wolfman of the Horsepack of Derailment
    The artist formerly known as "WTF you can't say that!"

Chapter-Master

Yeah, there is no right or wrong way to do it. General advice is that the meta works around large blocks of infantry and monstrous infantry, so you want to have a decent chunk of your army built around that. Since you have plague bearers are pretty nasty, two big blocks of those is a good starting point. Beyond that, it comes down to what you want really. I would advise against overspending on characters. Whilst you can spend, 25% on lords and heroes, they won't win you the game. Armies which max out on characters tend to suffer as magic is too unpredictable and that 600 point lord on dragon can get overwhelmed by a good sized block of skaven slaves.

Oh, and Badrukk, I have come across one reason not to bother with a standard bearer - undead.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    Oh, and Badrukk, I have come across one reason not to bother with a standard bearer - undead.
    Touche sir, the only thing they find it useful for is when their general vanishes in a suspiciously accurate hail of maneater originated sniper handgun fire...................
    Didn't do that that a BBros weekeder, honest. Damn they were fun.
    Wolfman of the Horsepack of Derailment
    The artist formerly known as "WTF you can't say that!"

Chapter-Master

If that happens, you're screwed with or without a BSB.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptain Badrukk View Post
    Since things aren't quite so clear cut in WFB I operate in a simple way;
    1: Take 25% Core first.
    2: Take a general and a BSB(I have yet to find a good reason NOT to have a BSB unless you can't afford one)
    3: Take the stuff you like the look/idea of the most.
    4: Boom.
    Generally agree with what the Kaptain said here. That being said I'd add a few points...
    0: Decide how you want your list to play. Focus on ranged? Monsters? a "fast" list? etc
    3A: Look for units that compliment your core choices, your general and/or his magic items, or each other
    3B: There is no shame in duplicate units in Fantasy. I don't know why 40k has the weird "spam" haters but it's a non-issue in most Fantasy circles.
    3C: Magic. Have a plan for defending against magic. You don't necessarily have to take a Level 4 in every list, but you have to plan wisely. In the same vein, don't let your army tactics revolve around magic as it is too random to rely on for consistent tactical advantage.

I do agree with Wildey though, the BSB is only mandatory for specific armies like Skaven, low leadership armies like Beastmen, Orcs and Goblins, and Empire (and obviously Brets). Most other armies, particularly undead, don't really need a BSB to function.
    Armies - Skaven, Tomb Kings, Eldar, Iron Snakes, Dark Eldar, Retribution, & Legion
    Blog - http://chronowraith.blogspot.com

0: i play nurgle daemons so there mostly melee
    1: plaguebearers
    2: BSB hmmm most of the effects are wasted i think the reroll on LD checks is the main one here
    3: Love the look of nurgle units i have the FW model for unclean one dont care if its huge i love the model
    3A: heralds with there unit buff not sure about banners as most of them wont affect them due to having magical weapons
    3B: spam to me is acceptable unless playing 40k where a person brings nothing but heldrakes
    3C: heralds and great unclean one
    Those who judge without reason are no better then the things they judge.

Daemons benefit from a BSB more than Undead, due to how your crumble works.

When you fail a break test, instead of running away, you lose models equal to the margin of failure.

That BSB will make the difference between losing a couple of ranks, and passing by the skin of your teeth!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Xaric View Post
    0: i play nurgle daemons so there mostly melee
    1: plaguebearers
    2: BSB hmmm most of the effects are wasted i think the reroll on LD checks is the main one here
    3: Love the look of nurgle units i have the FW model for unclean one dont care if its huge i love the model
    3A: heralds with there unit buff not sure about banners as most of them wont affect them due to having magical weapons
    3B: spam to me is acceptable unless playing 40k where a person brings nothing but heldrakes
    3C: heralds and great unclean one
    If you do want some ranged support, Soul Grinders of Nurgle are a great choice. Tough as heck monsters that have nasty shooting attacks as well as crazy good melee stats. From memory a Soul Grinder has six wounds at Toughness 7, combined with the Nurgle "mark" they are pretty hard to stop. Plague Drones can take a ranged attack if I'm not mistaken, but I don't recall it being that good.

Plaguebearers are a pretty rock-hard unit, they won't kill too much but they sure as heck can take a beating. You can run them either as anvils (6 wide, probably 5 or more deep) or as combat hordes (10 wide, three or more deep). If you go the latter, ensure they are joined by a Herald or two and preferably have Epidemius in tow.

As Mr Mystery says a Battle Standard Bearer might not be great for Undead armies, but for Daemons it is necessary. The way your army crumbles is based off of a Leadership test, and re-rolling a bad result with the Battle Standard Bearer to potentially lose models is always great for you. Another thing is making sure you avoid the dreaded double 6s that cause the entire unit to disappear! Thankfully for Nurgle Daemons you don't have to worry about your BSB dying easily, they are very tough, especially on a Palanquin - though if you go that route you really need to watch out for war machines.

The Nurgle Great Unclean One is actually an acceptable size in Warhammer Fantasy. Some would say it is much closer to the proper scale of a regular Great Unclean One anyway based on their fluff. I've seen the model in person but I can't recall if it would fit on the large monster base (you need a square base in Fantasy). If it does, order one in and try it out. The worst case scenario is that you have to swap the base sideways as the model is mostly wide rather than long, but most opponents shouldn't have a problem with it as it gives them an advantage for getting into base contact with it anyway.

I'm pretty sure a magic standard can still affect magical weapons, actually. I might be wrong though but I'm sure effects like Armour Piercing and Flaming Attacks from the Razor Standard and Banner of Eternal Flame, respectively, can still affect your Plague Swords.

Spam isn't really an issue in Fantasy due to the way the game works anyway, so that's a good opinion to have. A pair of K'daii Destroyers might get you fuming but I don't think a pair really counts as spam.

An alternative option to the Great Unclean One is a Nurgle Daemon Prince, something to keep in mind. I think a Level 4 Great Unclean One and a Level 1 Herald should serve you just fine, though the Level 1 isn't really necessary due to the lack of dispel scrolls for Daemons.
    Check out my blog!
    http://imperatorguides.blogspot.com.au/