BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Question I need advice model value to model amount?

What I am having problems with is trying not to over spend on a unit with in my Nurgle themed foot slogging army

The problem I find is you need a herald with a locus and wizard lv 1 and in say a 2000 point game the Max you will ever get is 2 = 250 points each. So that means my army will have its two core units but now the problem is daemonic brake test having too many in a single unit if they fail combat will result in wiping out the hole unit so they can't be too big because rolling double six means good bye unit so how could I work around this?

I feel having two units of 27 + a herald of nurgle is too much or too little not to sure...
    Those who judge without reason are no better then the things they judge.

Chapter-Master

Generally speaking you want to try and not over-spend on Core more than you absolutely have to, as with most armies the best units are in the Special or Rare sections. For Nurgle Daemons in particular, those units are Beasts of Nurgle and probably Nurgle Soul Grinders in each slot. Factor in the Great Unclean One or the Daemon Prince as they are your only wizards that can go above Level 2 and it will leave you tight, for sure.

I think Plaguebearers can do fine in 5x5 (five wide, five deep) though I prefer 6x5 (six wide, five deep) so 24+Herald or 29+Herald. To be honest your list only really needs one Herald and for that Herald to be the Battle Standard Bearer. Give him something like Fencer's Blades as his magic item allowance, the Battle Standard and perhaps the Level 1 Wizard upgrade and he should be good to go. If you are curious in trying out an odd tactic though, at 2000 points you could try a 10x4 unit of Plaguebearers with full command that, from memory, should end up being about 576 points. It's a nice big chunky unit and safe haven for your BSB, and it is perfect for spell buffs. It's not the best unit but it might be easier than trying to fit in two units of Plaguebearers and not exceeding the Core limits by too much.
    Check out my blog!
    http://imperatorguides.blogspot.com.au/

2nd the opinion of 24 at 6 wide. I find that most efffective. The necessity for more bodies isn't as important with Nurgle. The -1 to hit and ward save will keep you going far long enough for the lack of bodies to make a difference.
    The Waaagh Cast - A Warhammer Fantasy Podcast / Blog
    http://www.waaaghcast.net