BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I am noticing now that the Nurgle DP is shown on a 60 mm base in GW's literature. I thought the box set comes with the smaller size. Can anyone verify?

Brother-Captain

Daemon Princes come with a 40mm terminator base, but GW often models them on 60mm bases. The model is too large for a 40mm base, imo. The feet hang over the edge and if you put wings on the model it looks sort of silly on such a small base.

Grand Provost Marshal

Quote Originally Posted by plasticaddict View Post
    No[sic] true if GW puts it out as a tournament rule. "bases they are supplied with" can be interpreted to mean, bases they are currently suppiled with.
    When I buy/bought a model, it is/was supplied with a base. I'm not playing with *potential* models, I'm playing with actual models. As such, if they come in an unopened GW box/blister and are provided/supplied with bases, those are the bases they are "currently supplied with", not some potential bases that alternative potential models might be equipped with in another unopened box/blister from GW.

If there are models in my army, they "must be glued onto their bases before they can be used in the game." Which bases? Well, since they're Citadel miniatures, then they "are normally supplied with a plastic base." Done, and done. Changing base size requires opponents consent.

As I mentioned, rules to the contrary are house rules. If you're in someone else's house (i.e., at their tournament), use their rules if you want to lay there. GW doesn't run many tournaments, and many tournaments don't use GW's suggestions/"tournament FAQs"/house rules/etc., so their tourney suggestions are also house rules (like GW's FAQs).

Any money spent converting to medium bases is money spent to cow-tow to someone else's desires, not to follow the rules. Complains might say "just spend the money and there won't be issues." What they mean is "just do what I want, and I'll stop bіtching about it."
    Last edited by Faultie; 01-07-2010 at 08:34 AM.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Faultie View Post
    When I buy/bought a model, it is/was supplied with a base. I'm not playing with *potential* models, I'm playing with actual models. As such, if they come in an unopened GW box/blister and are provided/supplied with bases, those are the bases they are "currently supplied with", not some potential bases that alternative potential models might be equipped with in another unopened box/blister from GW.

If there are models in my army, they "must be glued onto their bases before they can be used in the game." Which bases? Well, since they're Citadel miniatures, then they "are normally supplied with a plastic base." Done, and done. Changing base size requires opponents consent.
    Your argument is with GW, if they put out a torunament rule that requires a model to be on the "correct" size base and they clarify it to mean "the currently supplied base with new models" then that is the rule regardless of what the rulebook says. Tournament rules are diffenert than normal play rules. In a tournament you are commonly required to have your models painted with three colors and based, there is nothing in the rule book that requires you to have your models paintedand based your models. Casual play is one thing, organized play is something else and the rules are different. I don't particaularly like the rule but I understand it. I am currently in the process of rebasing twenty Steel Legion missile teams for my oldest sons army so there will be no (potental) trouble in the local tournament scene.

Quote Originally Posted by plasticaddict View Post
    No true if GW puts it out as a tournament rule. "bases they are supplied with" can be interpreted to mean, bases they are currently suppiled with.
    The problem with that line of thinking is that GW runs very few tournaments, most are independently run and have their own interpretation of the rules.
    http://crazyredpraetorian.blogspot.com/
    http://theflylordsofterra.blogspot.com/

Veteran-Sergeant

I am speaking of the RTT and 'Ard Boyz format tournaments. Indy GTs have their own rules but follow a common format.

Scout

Well thank you all for the feed back but I believe I can use the small ones I knew before I asked but as far as it goes with your local gaming store if they don't have a house rule about it, well than the rule is whatever bases came with THAT model when first bought.

While it's true that some Terminators are supplied with 25mm slottabases, it's been the case that Terminators are on 40mm bases since the plastic models were released, at the least (I can't remember if the GK terminators were originally on 40mm, but I think they were). One can make the argument that their models were supplied with 25mm bases, and so they can use them, it's a pretty clear case of modelling for advantage, given that it is much, much easier to successfully Deep Strike a unit on smaller bases. If that's not the reason to keep the smaller bases, then what is it? It takes hardly any time to re-base them properly and avoid the discussion in the first place.

Brother-Captain

GW's 40mm bases are expensive. It would have cost me $50 to order 40mm bases for my Deathwing army. Also, if you have nice custom bases that are painted, it can be a lot of time, too. I have my nice custom 25mm bases glued to ugly poker chips right now . . .

I wouldn't call it a case of modelling for advantage if people chose to keep the 25mm bases. Most people run terminators in a land raider and very few use the deep strike rules in 5th ed. Also, it's easier to avoid templates with larger bases, and you can string a unit out farther to hold or contest more objectives.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Lerra View Post
    . Also, it's easier to avoid templates with larger bases, and you can string a unit out farther to hold or contest more objectives.
    How do you figure? The larger bases mean each model is easies to hit with a template and if you spread out with 2" between models it's very hard to miss a cluster of Termies with a blast template. By having the models on a smaller base you make it easier to deploy out of a transport as each model needs less space.On smaller basses you make it harder (although not much) for your opponent to get maximum models in BTB for assault. Units of smaller based models can take better advantage of cover. There are many reasons that could be brought up to object to your models not being on the 40mm bases.

As far as cost goes: 10, 40mm plasic bases cost $4.50 from GW; 9, 40mm magnetic bases cost $10.99 or 40+ economy bases for $10.00 from Gale Force 9. It's just not that expensive to put the models on the currently issued size base when you consider how much you have already invested in your army, both cash and time, to eleminate any potential problems.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast