BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Brother-Sergeant

Default Starting Necrons and Want Some Advice

Im starting necrons and id like to know what would be a few good choices to add on after my compulsory Lord and two warrior squads. I was thinking of expanding to a trio of wraiths for close combat and a tomb spider for some firepower but im not sure. What is your advice?
    "Even the servants of the great enemy fear the crushing depths of our lair." - Jathalon Tidefury

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Chapter Master Jake View Post
    Im starting necrons and id like to know what would be a few good choices to add on after my compulsory Lord and two warrior squads. I was thinking of expanding to a trio of wraiths for close combat and a tomb spider for some firepower but im not sure. What is your advice?
    My single nashiest unit in my entire army is a vanilla overlord with a full court (five lords and five crypteks), and one of the crypteks upgraded to a Harbinger of Despair with a Veil of Darkness. That's it, no other upgrades. The overlord, the five lords and four of the crypteks carry staves of light ... three shots each (S:5, AP:3), that's 30 shots. They deep strike in and annihilate things.

It is a risky tactic and I would never use them without scarabs for back-up, so if I were you I would forget that and go scarabs. I cannot imagine not having at least two full units of scarabs.
    Necron2.0 (a.k.a. me) - "I used to wrestle with inner demons. Now we just sit for tea and scones, and argue over the weather."

Brother-Sergeant

That sounds like Apocalypse stuff, I'm talking about simple, regular games of about 1000 to 1500 points. I need advice on where to go after I get my compulsory HQ and 2 Troops. As I said, I'd like to at least have something that can counter in close combat (Canoptek Wraith squad or a squad of Flayed Ones?) and something dangerous at ranged like a Canoptek Spyder, squad of Deathmarks, or a Destroyer squadron.

I just got my Necrons Codex today and I'm looking through it so I'm definitely not familiar with the new units, but that's why I'm here.
    "Even the servants of the great enemy fear the crushing depths of our lair." - Jathalon Tidefury

I'd recommend getting a triarch stalker and team it with a ghost arc, a full ghost arc firing at the same target as the stalker will get 30 shots short range with 're/rolls.

First-Captain

Wraiths are very decent, but should probably be fielded in packs of six with a Destroyer Lord to take some hits... or maybe Scarabs plus Spyders... and stay away from Flayed Ones, they are seriously bad imo
    not sure where you're coming from with the Spyder providing firepower? for that, I'd go with an Annihilation Barge or two, which will also cover you for Anti-Air, more or less... or a couple of Tomb Blades, which have the benefit of mobility but aren't very durable
    the full court Necron2.0 mentioned is perfectly fine for a normal game, and hurts quite a bit - but it's 425pts without any kind of durability or melee capacity, hardly any range to compensate for Deep Strike scattering, and will struggle to kill many core units - those often have a 2+ save... fun choice, sure, but a bit expensive for my tastes
    The Stalker I haven't tried myself (just too little in the way of firepower it brings itself for the points), but as a force multiplier it's certainly nice, and a Ghost Ark is also always helpful to ferry around and refill your warriors
    The bigger they are, the bigger the mess they make when they step on you. - Ahzek Ahriman, on Titans

Brother-Captain

That sounds like Apocalypse stuff, I'm talking about simple, regular games of about 1000 to 1500 points. I need advice on where to go after I get my compulsory HQ and 2 Troops. As I said, I'd like to at least have something that can counter in close combat (Canoptek Wraith squad or a squad of Flayed Ones?) and something dangerous at ranged like a Canoptek Spyder, squad of Deathmarks, or a Destroyer squadron.

I just got my Necrons Codex today and I'm looking through it so I'm definitely not familiar with the new units, but that's why I'm here.
    No, I don't play Apocalypse, although most games I play are in the 2000 point range. I would still recommend as many scarabs as you can. They are freakin' nasty for close combat, and are a mobile wall of cover for your troops. Actually, since you haven't really mentioned the quantity of your current selection, my specific advice would be:

1) 1 HQ - any non-named, without upgrades
    2) 2x Warriors - FULL units
    3) 2x Scarabs - FULL units
    4) 2x Triarch Stalkers with twin-linked heavy gauss cannons
    5+) Cry "HAVOC" and go nuts

Addenda: Actually, once you get passed the Scarabs it becomes more of a crap-shoot as to what to get next. The Triarch Stalkers I mentioned give you the potential of twin-linking every shot in your army (so you want the biggest mass of regular schmoes you can get prior to getting them), and the heavy gauss cannon option gives them range, so they can stand back from the front lines. However, Ghost Arcs would be useful too, in that they can regenerate your troops back to their full strength rather quickly (bearing in mind, they can still be taken as a "transport" for a 20 Warrior unit, even though the unit itself could not actually be transported by it). I don't have any Annihilation barges in my army, but I do have two Doomsday Arcs (pie plates -o- death). I also have two full units of Wraiths, and am putting together one full unit of Flayed Ones. Flayed Ones won't win you any games, but they are cheap, they can infiltrate, they can deep strike, you can field them in MASSIVE numbers, and they've got a grip-load of melee attacks. They are perfect in objective games.
    Last edited by Necron2.0; 04-13-2014 at 09:36 AM.
    Necron2.0 (a.k.a. me) - "I used to wrestle with inner demons. Now we just sit for tea and scones, and argue over the weather."

Brother-Sergeant

Wraiths are very decent, but should probably be fielded in packs of six with a Destroyer Lord to take some hits... or maybe Scarabs plus Spyders... and stay away from Flayed Ones, they are seriously bad imo.
    I do like the Canoptek units, meaning Wraiths, Scarabs, and Spyders. In particular I like the Wraiths, being so cheap for some decent close combat units. Scarabs I've never seen used so I don't know how well they work but I'll look around at the Spyder/Scarab combo. Could you tell me why you think Flayed Ones are seriously bad? Deep Strike, Infiltrate, up to 20 units in a block with 3 attacks each (that's SIXTY ATTACKS!) at strength 4. That's potentially an entire platoon of guardsman, if they still come in squads of 20, dead 3 times over. I haven't played in years, and this is my first army in 2 or 3 editions so I could be wrong in my excitement, but I've always been a fan of a ton of attacks. (My Chaos army would be remiss without a Khorne Lord at the head with the killy axe of many deaths on a charge in a squad of Berserkers.

Not sure where you're coming from with the Spyder providing firepower? For that I'd go with an Annihilation Barge or two, which will also cover you for Anti-Air, (more or less...) or a couple of Tomb Blades which have the benefit of mobility but aren't very durable.
    I saw the twin-linked particle beamer and thought one or 3 Spyders with that would make a pretty tough, balanced firebase for cheap, but I see now they're more a close combat/melee support role. I'm wondering now as I looked in the codex, what is the role difference between Tomb Blades and Destroyers/Heavy Destroyers? Destroyers just seem to be a relic of the past Necron codex now that we have Tomb Blades and Scythes. I could be wrong of course but please enlighten me! The Annihilation Barge looks pretty awesome, but again, it seems the only difference is points cost while it's basically the same role depending on the size of the game/points amount.

the full court Necron2.0 mentioned is perfectly fine for a normal game, and hurts quite a bit - but it's 425pts without any kind of durability or melee capacity, hardly any range to compensate for Deep Strike scattering, and will struggle to kill many core units - those often have a 2+ save... fun choice, sure, but a bit expensive for my tastes
    At first I was confused about this but now I see Lords aren't separate from Overlords. I suppose this is the era of the death of "Lieutenants" leading armies. If anything I'll take a couple Crypteks and/or Lords for slightly larger games such as 1500-2000 points. It's interesting to see how they've relegated the old Lords into a command squad type role but can also break away and lead specific squads.

The Stalker I haven't tried myself (just too little in the way of firepower it brings itself for the points), but as a force multiplier it's certainly nice and a Ghost Ark is also always helpful to ferry around and refill your warriors.
    I assume you mean the Triarch Stalker? The unit is certainly a large, scary model but it seems to be best served as a support unit in larger games, just like the Scythes. As for the Ghost Ark, would it be worth taking one for every Necron Warrior squad?

Brother-Captain

I assume you mean the Triarch Stalker? The unit is certainly a large, scary model but it seems to be best served as a support unit in larger games, just like the Scythes. As for the Ghost Ark, would it be worth taking one for every Necron Warrior squad?
    I amended my previous post with comments on these (see above).

First-Captain

I do like the Canoptek units, meaning Wraiths, Scarabs, and Spyders. In particular I like the Wraiths, being so cheap for some decent close combat units. Scarabs I've never seen used so I don't know how well they work but I'll look around at the Spyder/Scarab combo. Could you tell me why you think Flayed Ones are seriously bad? Deep Strike, Infiltrate, up to 20 units in a block with 3 attacks each (that's SIXTY ATTACKS!) at strength 4. That's potentially an entire platoon of guardsman, if they still come in squads of 20, dead 3 times over. I haven't played in years, and this is my first army in 2 or 3 editions so I could be wrong in my excitement, but I've always been a fan of a ton of attacks. (My Chaos army would be remiss without a Khorne Lord at the head with the killy axe of many deaths on a charge in a squad of Berserkers.
    their main problem for me is their lousy initiative plus lack of mobility beyond Deep Strinking. And when you Deep Strike a 20-cron blob of 4+ Save dudes right in front of your opponent's army, you are just begging for Blasts and Templates - even after you use your run moves to spread out a bit... And each of them will hit as hard as an Ork on the charge, for more than double the cost and you're not even scoring. In a Dark Harvest list (from ForgeWorld IA12) they are at least troops... All in all, you usually have way better options to spend your points on, like Scarabs and Wraiths

I saw the twin-linked particle beamer and thought one or 3 Spyders with that would make a pretty tough, balanced firebase for cheap, but I see now they're more a close combat/melee support role. I'm wondering now as I looked in the codex, what is the role difference between Tomb Blades and Destroyers/Heavy Destroyers? Destroyers just seem to be a relic of the past Necron codex now that we have Tomb Blades and Scythes. I could be wrong of course but please enlighten me! The Annihilation Barge looks pretty awesome, but again, it seems the only difference is points cost while it's basically the same role depending on the size of the game/points amount.
    Spyders with particle beamers are quite a decent all-round anchor for your line, since T6 is not all that easy to break in melee while still providing some firepower as an added bonus. If only that bonus wasn't quite so expensive... 225pts for three of those fellas isn't all that cheap sadly...
    I'm not really sure myself what the role of Destroyers is supposed to be when compared to Tomb Blades... Blades just seem to do anti-Infantry much better and can still threaten Power Armour... and the Heavy Cannon ones are just way too expensive for what they do, especially because even our basic Troops can trouble a Land Raider, which would be their only selling point...
    Night Scythes and Annihilation barges are indeed very similar when it comes to firepower and durability (the latter very much depends on the opponent) - Scythes are much more mobile but can sometimes struggle to fire at the same target more than once, while ABarges have the advantage of actually starting the game on the board...

At first I was confused about this but now I see Lords aren't separate from Overlords. I suppose this is the era of the death of "Lieutenants" leading armies. If anything I'll take a couple Crypteks and/or Lords for slightly larger games such as 1500-2000 points. It's interesting to see how they've relegated the old Lords into a command squad type role but can also break away and lead specific squads.
    the Royal Court is indeed quite a fun tool to add to your army, especially the Crypteks, with each of the Harbingers bringing something unique to the table - from cheap almost-Lascannons spread through your squad (Destruction) to very good short range anti-Vehicle (Storm) to teleporting a squad around at will (Despair with Veil of Darkness). The latter is nice both for an actual Royal Court as a unit and for 20-Cron blocks of Warriors - and especially for Deathmarks, since the Harbinger of Despair's staff (can't recall the name) will benefit from the Deathmark's Mark and essentially become a Fleshbane AP2 template

An Ark for each Squad is certainly possible, but can get kinda expensive... I usually have one squad of 10 (or 9 if someone wants to join them) that will actually ride in the Ark, and a larger block that walks/teleports around without an Ark of their own, with the Ark trying to stay near them for repair purposes as long as that's viable/fits my plans
    The bigger they are, the bigger the mess they make when they step on you. - Ahzek Ahriman, on Titans

Night/Doom Scythe too, pretty decent and those 4 t/l S7 shots can bring pain to bear, that's without the death ray if you take the Doom Scythe. And the best bit is you don't need to magnetize it either, the 2 variants both just slot in quite tightly so can pick and choose as you want. Tomb Blades can be pretty good too, fast bikes that punch (in my experience) above their weight. They die fairly quickly but soak up some fire in the meantime.
    If you're taking Scarabs (and I 2nd the opinion you should) then take the spider to go with them, she'll generate more as long as she is within 6" of them, and she is an MC which can put some pain down in support of the little guys.

Underwhelming units for me have always been; C'tan shard (always seems to find himself out of the way or shot to bits early on) and the Monolith (it's a bit of a fire magnet and a good marine or Eldar player will shut it down straight off the bat).
    Astra Miliwotsit? You're in the Guard now son....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast