BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Default Which Superheavy?

I'm coming into a fair bit of cash - about $10k that my grandfather left me in investments - and I've decided to bleed a little off it before leaving it in to soak. Just enough to fill in some red spots in the family budget, buy my wife a little present (she's been admiring these Tiffany bean necklaces, and they're just absurd enough that I would enjoy getting her one), and get myself a little something in memory of my grandfather. He wasn't the best grandpa in the world, but he was mine, and he always supported my nerdy interests.

Anyway, given that most of the wargames I play are pretty budget-friendly, I think the best place to put a little memorial hobby cash is into something absurd, like a Forgeworld piece. Now that escalation is a thing - and my area has always played Apocalypse from time to time - I'm actually inclined to even consider a super-heavy.

Below is a list of what I'm most interested in, but I'm curious to hear your recommendations as well:

Fire Raptor, Storm Eagle, or Caestus Assault Ram. My Knights of Blood do love their aerial insertions, and flyers are fun! Of course, I do already own a stormraven, so I'm not sure how often I'd use any of these.

Contemptor Dreadnought: Easily the cheapest option, which is appealing, but I already own two ordinary dreadnoughts, so I'm not sure how much use I'd get out of it. Still, the model is neat...

Fellblade or Land Raider Variant: The fellblade is appealing, as it would be really fun to have a super-heavy tank in my stable. The land raider variants - especially the proteus - look really fun, and some could be fielded as a counts-as standard land raider... though that said, I already own two land raider crusaders and I'm not sure how much I need anything else that sits on a land raider chassis.

So, what do you think? Not just of the above possibilities, but anything else you think I would enjoy that would be a worthy investment?

Note that I want to consider both awesome models and table-time. I like to paint and convert up a beautiful model as much as the next guy and more than some, but the whole point is getting to put that beautiful ******* on the table.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Contemptors vs ordinary dreadnoughts isn't even an argument, the model is just so much cooler that I use contemptor's as stand-in Furioso's! If you're on about serious gaming with your purchase I'd probably look into the storm eagle though, again it's so much cooler than the stormraven and has a much better ruleset. For sheer "I own a super-heavy" I'd suggest the fellblade\fellglaive or even the new Falchion.. that twin volkite cannon just brings to mind ravening beams of death annihilating stuff

Chapter-Master

I've actually decided to take the contemptors off the list. I can get a contemptor for $75-ish, which makes it a poor candidate for a special thing to buy with a huge chunk of change. Similarly, I've decided to eschew the storm eagle and land raider variants, the former because I can already get a decent flying transport (stormraven) and the latter because I've already got two crusaders, and none of the variants are that cool, or even that hard to make with a clever conversion.

The list is down to:

• Fire Raptor
    • Fellblade
    • Glaive
    • Falchion
    Last edited by ElectricPaladin; 04-12-2014 at 07:02 PM.

Brother-Sergeant

A guy at our club had the same dilemma with the exact same short list as yourself. The almost unanimous consensus was for the Glaive. I think if you are after something special that will stand out the Glaive is the one, all the others seem a bit ordinary with similar plastic kits.

First-Captain

of those, I'd probably go with the Glaive or maybe the Falchion as well... Fire Raptor is neat and certainly looks boss, but it's basically two Storm Talons strapped together, so not especially unique in what in can do...
    but what about the Typhon? it's cheaper than the other Super Heavies (wait is that good or bad at this point?...) and quite the mean looking piece of kit, with nice rules as well...
    The bigger they are, the bigger the mess they make when they step on you. - Ahzek Ahriman, on Titans

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPaladin View Post
    Anyway, given that most of the wargames I play are pretty budget-friendly, I think the best place to put a little memorial hobby cash is into something absurd, like a Forgeworld piece.

So, what do you think? Not just of the above possibilities, but anything else you think I would enjoy that would be a worthy investment?

Note that I want to consider both awesome models and table-time.
    If you're looking at Forgeworld to go over the top, why not a Warhound Titan? Or a Knight Titan with Forgeworld bitz?

I'd think that either of those would be more distinctively "40k" than yet another space tank. Because, honestly, a tank can be relatively easily converted or scratch-built as long as you have the basic chassis and tracks. But a big robot? Not so easy.
    - 40k Eldar, Imperial Guard & Chaos Marines ∙ WFB Dogs of War ∙ WM/H Cryx ∙ BFG Chaos & Imperial Navy -

Chapter-Master

I agree
    If you want true OTT a titan is the way forward...

If you just want a big tank, I do quite like the glaive.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Chapter-Master

Sadly, a Titan kit is a bit outside how much I want to draw from the investment.

Chapter-Master

I've decided - it's going to be one of the fellblade chassis tanks. Only a superheavy is worthy to memorialize my grandfather and the titan kit is too expensive. The question is, which one? My entire FLGS has agreed that they'd be happy to play against any of them, even the 30k ones. What do you recommend and why??

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPaladin View Post
    Sadly, a Titan kit is a bit outside how much I want to draw from the investment.
    OK, no problem.

A Legion Glaive is 159 GBP = $ 266 USD at current exchange rates.

A basic Imperial Knight Titan is only $ 140 USD if you're watching the budget tightly - you could get 2 Knight Titans for the same price, and have enough left over for breakfast at Dennys.
    - 40k Eldar, Imperial Guard & Chaos Marines ∙ WFB Dogs of War ∙ WM/H Cryx ∙ BFG Chaos & Imperial Navy -

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast