BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Daemon-Prince

Default Horus Heresy: Best Units?

So i am trying to figure out the best Units for each legion in the Horus Heresy books and am pretty much stuck looking at the Salamander Terminatrs... (2 wound TH\SS termys???) & the Iron warrior Termys with missile launchers...... What do you guys think is the best\most OP Legion Unit?
    Potential war gameing Jawa.

Fly Lord

That's a hard one.

The Legion list is very large and pretty fair. Probably the most opportunity for combos and such is in the Consuls. You can do a lot of very mean stuff with Consuls and other units.

For meat and potatoes units I'm a giant fan of straight Legion Tacticals in 15 man groups (not to small or large), and Land Speeder squadrons. 5 Speeders with dual HBs kick out more move and fire dakka than folks are used to.
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

I think the most powerful legion in terms of cool tricks is alpha legion.

Veteran-Sergeant

I think personal chapter preference will play a role in this, cuz I sure am liking Night Lords right now.

Librarian

Whatever Space Wolves get for their special unit (barring Thunderwolves....) will be awesome!

There are no OP units in the Heresy; because each army is fundamentally the same, the game is almost perfectly balanced. There are sub-optimal units, as well as slightly 'wonky' ones, but it's a pure personal taste thing. Mostly the Legion-specific squads (Palatine Blades, Medusan Immortals, etc...) are all basically weaker versions of what will become Vanguard or Sternguard, and most are fairly weak as a result.

Things that are close to overpowered are the Spartan Transport (because short of Haywire, it's nigh-indestructible) and the Primarchs (who are defeatable through clever tactics and careful deployment), but overall, there's nothing that's broken, nothing that's OP, just a lot of interesting units with good internal balance.

Just play whatever you most like the look of. It's not 40K, it's 30K, and the game is fundamentally quite different as a result.
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

Daemon-Prince

Quote Originally Posted by YorkNecromancer View Post
    There are no OP units in the Heresy; because each army is fundamentally the same, the game is almost perfectly balanced. There are sub-optimal units, as well as slightly 'wonky' ones, but it's a pure personal taste thing. Mostly the Legion-specific squads (Palatine Blades, Medusan Immortals, etc...) are all basically weaker versions of what will become Vanguard or Sternguard, and most are fairly weak as a result.

Things that are close to overpowered are the Spartan Transport (because short of Haywire, it's nigh-indestructible) and the Primarchs (who are defeatable through clever tactics and careful deployment), but overall, there's nothing that's broken, nothing that's OP, just a lot of interesting units with good internal balance.

Just play whatever you most like the look of. It's not 40K, it's 30K, and the game is fundamentally quite different as a result.

Fair enough problem is i need to find something to Balance out my list! (of Alpha Legion) Right now i need both CC & Heavy weapon units....... (I can't have any infantry on foot without deepstrike or outflank or Infiltrate..... Coil of the Hydra!) Thinking of one of these.......

Firedrake Terminator Squad 645 (2 wounds,2 attacks....& Scoreing)
    5 Thunderhammer\Stormshield\Spartan Assault Tank

5 Tyrant Siege Terminator Squad 610 (Nightfight & Split Fire...)
    Cyclone Missile Launcher x8, Powerfists,Spartan Assault Tank(W\Ceramite)

Current list is....

Hq 135
    -----
    Centurion 135 (To join Terminators)
    Cata Armor\Pair of Lightning Claws\Primus Medicae

Elite
    ------

Troops 555
    ------
    10 Legion Tactical Marines 185
    Rhino

Rhino

Rhino

Heavy Support 210
    ------------
    Fire Raptor Gunship 210
    Reaper Autocannon Battery

Lords of War 415
    ------------
    Alpharius, Primarch of the Alpha Legion 415

I'm with Big Red on Land Speeder Squads. 5 Land Speeders with double heavy bolters or assault cannons can mow down those 20 man troop squads and skip around with a nice jink save.
    Visit my war gaming blog at: lookoutsir.blogspot.com

Daemon-Prince

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus View Post
    I'm with Big Red on Land Speeder Squads. 5 Land Speeders with double heavy bolters or assault cannons can mow down those 20 man troop squads and skip around with a nice jink save.
    Come to think of it i am surprised i don't see more of them...