BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Battle-Brother

Default Librarian upgrade question???

In 6th edition, is it worth upgrading a librarian to level 2 @ 1500 points? I intend him to be the only character. Going to be using home-brew marine chapter w/Imperial Knights detachment (2)

First-Captain

if he's your only character, I assume you took him because he's cheap? then keep him that way... hard to say much more without further info...
    The bigger they are, the bigger the mess they make when they step on you. - Ahzek Ahriman, on Titans

It's a lot of points to put into a 2 W model. You're almost as good taking a 2nd Librarian.
    http://bloodshadowsm41.blogspot.co.uk

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrendian View Post
    if he's your only character, I assume you took him because he's cheap? then keep him that way... hard to say much more without further info...
    Guess I should ask a further question...I keep reading the psychic powers play a larger roll in 6th ed. Is it not wise to take a librarian if my intent is to only have one character? If I should take the librarian, how much more effective is a lv 2 psycher for defensive purposes? For offensive purposes?

First-Captain

A Librarian is perfectly fine as your only character, since he's cheap and depending on the power you roll up can be incredibly valuable. Just don't expect him to win many fistfights or consistently have a huge impact on the game - the latter depends heavily on the power you get. I'd probably recommend going with Terminator Armour and not much else in the way of upgrades, and rolling on Telepathy since there are some very powerful gems in there and the Primaris is a decent to good fallback (depending on opponent) in case you roll up something worse...
    Psykers indeed play a large role in 6th - just not "normal" Librarians, at least not as much as many others do They lack access to Divination, which is what a Marine army would most likely want, and aren't particularly good stat-wise either, so Biomancy generally isn't great on them. The other disciplines can be good, as I said, but even then they lack the tools other Psykers get access to (be it Eldar Jetbikes to ride and a mantle to hide behind, the sheer power of Daemon Princes/Greater Daemons or the numbers of Daemon Heralds).
    The bigger they are, the bigger the mess they make when they step on you. - Ahzek Ahriman, on Titans

Chapter-Master

Psychic powers are good, but you need to have the right psychic powers. That means divination on anything, massed telepathy for Invisibility or Hallucinate, or biomancy on a monstrous creature for Iron Arm and and Endurance. Standard SM Librarians can't really do any of that, so they're not exactly a-listers. Tigirius, on the other hand, is pure win. DA Librarians are very good, as well (one of the few gems in that codex). So, ultimately, probably not worth the points to upgrade. If you really want a psyker, use counts-as Tigirius.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.